Brewer Fanatic

Name The Pitcher

David Stearns has come this far, I refuse to believe he won’t get a starting pitcher before the deadline - so - who will it be?

I say, Stearns won’t touch his best 2-3 prospects, but he won’t go empty handed.

The Brewers get .... Gio Gonzalez.

What’s your guess?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason I have a hard time seeing Stearns go with 3 trades and all being rentals (hypothetically).

That being said a starter that isn’t a rental doesn’t make a ton of sense unless it is a complete ace. Matt Harvey is the guess.

Jordan Zimmermann

Take a look at the stats before his game vs Cleveland on sunday (7/29).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/z/zimmejo02.shtml

Not too bad..

Deal is done as a waiver item so it gets completed on Monday 8/6.

Considering the amount of the remaining contract, it might only cost a couple lottery tickets or a likely R5 casualty & lottery ticket...

Jordan Zimmermann

Not too bad..

Considering the amount of the remaining contract, it might only cost a couple lottery tickets or a likely R5 casualty & lottery ticket...

I can't see that being done unless Attanasio wanted it, and stuck his nose in - $25M per season is a lot to take on and that doesn't seem to me (being the Stearns expert that I am) like a move that Stearns would make by choice.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Talks for DeGrom and Syndergaard have gone nowhere - but the talks between the Brewers and Mets have been extensive, so Stearns knows who they like - so perhaps Steven Matz?
"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Jordan Zimmermann

Not too bad..

I can't see that being done unless Attanasio wanted it, and stuck his nose in - $25M per season is a lot to take on and that doesn't seem to me (being the Stearns expert that I am) like a move that Stearns would make by choice.

Oh I get exactly what you are saying. That is a huge contract to absorb. Still, Jordan seems to be getting it back on track this season after a couple horrid years to begin this contract in Detroit...

So far this season: whip = 1.16, only 12 walks allowed & 65 K thru 68 IP

I think he is more of a fallback option if something else can't be completed before the deadline (& I'm guessing DS won't match or surpass someone else's offer on a few other available players out there).

I think Gausman is plan A but the price on him will probably be too high (which is justified considering he should be valued as a durable, near 3 WAR player). Then they look to Wheeler as plan B but the price on him will be too high (unjustified due to his injury history). I'd guess the rest of the targets don't represent a big enough upgrade to motivate Stearns to make a move. I think wants to do something but will end up sitting it out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is really tough. I know if I were calling the shots, I'd be trying to grab someone to fill out the rotation. But I'm not, and I swung and missed big time in early spring predicting that the team was "sure" to acquire another starter. One thing I do know, though, is that they aren't just going to go out and get a guy for the sake of getting a guy. He's going to have to be an upgrade over what they have available. Are Tyson Ross or Matt Harvey upgrades? That is pretty debatable. I'd say Wheeler would be a slight upgrade. There are a host of other guys out there that would be upgrades, but would be costly. Here's a list of who I think the team might try to grab, from most likely to least likely:

1. Chris Archer - Rays - Personally I think the Padres talk is 100% smoke. And if it's true that they want a young catcher and power-hitting outfielder, they can send Nottingham and Ray as centerpieces, and still possibly hang on to their top 3 guys.

2. Michael Fullmer - Tigers - I love his potential and control. He is going to cost a lot, but this is an arm that can possibly anchor the staff for the next 4 years.

3. Kevin Gausman - Orioles - It appeared they were getting close on a trade with the Orioles a few days ago, and I wouldn't doubt if Gausman was the target. Really, really good stuff, and if you get him with a good pitching coach, he could be a stud.

4. Aaron Sanchez - Blue Jays - Always seems to be hurt, but when healthy, he has ace-caliber stuff. I'd love to see what they could get out of him.

5. Marcus Stroman - Blue Jays - Another guy with great stuff who has battled injury. Still, he is better than anything the Brewers have if healthy.

6. Zach Wheeler - Mets - He seems to have turned a corner, and has some control. Is he enough of an upgrade?

7. Kyle Gibson - Twins - Decent stuff. He isn't going to scare anyone, but is a good, solid, durable starter.

8. Jordan Zimmerman - Tigers - The Tigers would have to eat some of that huge contract, but I think Zim is the type of guy that could come in and pitch very well.

9. Jacob deGrom - Mets - Pitching like a Cy Young candidate, and the cost is going to reflect that. I can't see the team cleaning out the top of the system, but it seems as soon as I think I have Stearns pegged, he does something to surprise me (not grabbing a starter in spring, keeping 32 first basemen, trading for Moustakas)

10. Madison Bumgarner - Giants - The Giants have to see the writing on the wall soon that they need to rebuild. They could trade Bumgarner and get a good start. I don't think he'd be as expensive as deGrom, but it'll be close. Just not sure if Stearns is willing to pay up for an ace.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If the Nats decide to sell I think Gio Gonzales would be a good rental that shouldn’t cost us any of the top prospects.

My issue with a guy like Gonzales is that pretty much every pitcher in the rotation is Gonzales. Who does he replace? I think Stearns made it pretty clear that they weren't going to acquire a starter unless he was an obvious upgrade over what they already had available. I think I'd rather just give Woodruff a shot in the rotation over trading assets for a guy like Gonzales.

I just don't see the Nats selling. That's a tough pill to swallow being around. 500 given preseason expectations, especially when they're only 6 games out - not at all insurmountable if they are truly the best team in that division. Plus they still have 9 games left against Philly.

I think they'll try to make one last gasp run with Harper and are probably more likely to add Realmuto than sell. If they do sell they might as well go all out and sell Harper for sure and other top rentals, and that's a lot to happen in the next 30 hours.

If the Nats decide to sell I think Gio Gonzales would be a good rental that shouldn’t cost us any of the top prospects.

My issue with a guy like Gonzales is that pretty much every pitcher in the rotation is Gonzales. Who does he replace? I think Stearns made it pretty clear that they weren't going to acquire a starter unless he was an obvious upgrade over what they already had available. I think I'd rather just give Woodruff a shot in the rotation over trading assets for a guy like Gonzales.

Well, I highly doubt Peralta is going to continue starting through the end of the season. I have my doubts about the Wade Miley smoke and mirrors show (that has worked so far). Maybe Guerra has fallen back to earth or tweaked something and will continue to have bouts where he can't throw a strike to save his life.

I will gladly take a 3.75 pitcher (Gonzales, or whoever) to help us to the finish line this year, on the basis it doesn't cost too much.

Personally, I was going with MadBum. Just no Harvey or Zimmerman (unless Tigers pay for everything) please.

I'm not crazy about Gonzales' recent form. He was awful in June, and only marginally better in July.

I'd love Wheeler but word is out that Mets are now asking the moon.

Gausman? Eh. He doesn't move the needle for me and because he has control, O's will try and extract some significant return. He's not worth it.

I'd go back to the Twins and make a big push for Gibson and if he's not available I'd grab Harvey.

Third choice would be bringing back Mike Fiers, who might be had after the deadline.

Archived