Brewer Fanatic

2018-07-28: Brewers (Chacín) at Giants (Cueto) 8:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-1 -- Mike Moustakas makes Brewers Debut]

Eye Black

We’re actually down to 1 hole in the lineup to fill. I’m fine with whatever Arcia can hit from here out. We need his glove and range more than ever now.

I know there’s not a overwhelming amount of catching available but if we could find a upgrade it would be a very opposing lineup

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We’re actually down to 1 hole in the lineup to fill. I’m fine with whatever Arcia can hit from here out. We need his glove and range more than ever now.

I know there’s not a overwhelming amount of catching available but if we could find a upgrade it would be a very opposing lineup

Catchers are either too expensive like Realmuto, hurt like Ramos, or guys like Chirinos who would be an upgrade but not sure what they would cost.

Pina is one of the best catchers in the game. Base runners don't dare run on him. His defense is much more important than Arcia's. What he does offensively is just gravy. Everyone should stop being a hater. Not only is he an invaluable part of this team, you could make an argument he is the team MVP. 53-35 before he went on the DL, 2-8 while is was on the DL, and now 4-3 after coming off the DL.

Pina is one of the best catchers in the game. Base runners don't dare run on him. His defense is much more important than Arcia's. What he does offensively is just gravy. Everyone should stop being a hater. Not only is he an invaluable part of this team, you could make an argument he is the team MVP. 53-35 before he went on the DL, 2-8 while is was on the DL, and now 4-3 after coming off the DL.

I love Pina's defense, but I HATE his .215 average, .628 OPS, and his 66 OPS+. Upgrading that offensive black hole would be huge.

And I'll take Hader, Jeffress, Cain, Yelich, and Aguilar as my MVPs first - imagine this club without any of them.

What? Seriously this is supposed to be in blue right?

No, he’s not one of the best defensive catchers in the game. And they are 3-3 in the games he’s played since his return. There is a reason Kratz is stealing playing time from him and it isn’t because Kratz is good.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

No, he’s not one of the best defensive catchers in the game. And they are 3-3 in the games he’s played since his return. There is a reason Kratz is stealing playing time from him and it isn’t because Kratz is good.

It's like saying YuniB was the MVP of that team.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

It's like saying YuniB was the MVP of that team.

He was pretty stellar in the playoffs. :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He’s a good thrower, not a great defender, there’s a big difference. He would be an above average back up catcher, he’s not a starter for a playoff team.

I like him, but he is what he is.

The “anything he does on offense is gravy” argument is only valid if your offense is at least close to average to start. Then being above average is the gravy. Right now Manny Pina is just a raw potato. Still edible...still a potato...but certainly not good and not any gravy on it.

If we emptied some prospects right now...

If it were for Realmuto.... I’d be extatic . We upgrade there instead of SP we would be ok. Imagine the lineup then !!!

They make it sound like he isn't available, which translates to he available but the price is crazy.

Not much on the market this summer, Ramos and Grandal. Kind of surprising they aren't giving Nottingham a longer look.

If it were for Realmuto.... I’d be extatic . We upgrade there instead of SP we would be ok. Imagine the lineup then !!!

I would make a huge trade for Realmuto or Degrom.

I would be open to smaller trades for Ramos, Wheeler or Gibson. Not a ton that excites me outside those guys. I mean I would be fine with a few guys if they were cheaper than expected like Archer, Gausman, etc

They make it sound like he isn't available, which translates to he available but the price is crazy.

Not much on the market this summer, Ramos and Grandal. Kind of surprising they aren't giving Nottingham a longer look.

Oh I agree 100% I think Nottingham overall would give equal or greater overall work to Pina’s overall game. I think he has a good shot to be a starter. His at bats - though not great outcomes - were decent and he showed more patience than we are used to!

Shaw throws it around the horn pretty well from the 2B spot, I was worried he was going to just throw it back to the pitcher

But he has to recite the info about Playboy Playmates as he throws.

If Shaw can play 2B, there's no reason Harper can't catch for a couple months....

I know this is sarcasm but it is hard to read meaning on the internet sometimes as well. Harper was a catcher prospect, he moved off of catcher because they wanted to protect his health and get him into the majors faster. Harper really probably could play catcher if they really wanted him to.

Archived