Brewer Fanatic

2018-07-28: Brewers (Chacín) at Giants (Cueto) 8:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-1 -- Mike Moustakas makes Brewers Debut]

Eye Black
Didn’t get a chance to watch the game. How did Shaw look at 2B?

Not bad. Not all that many chances but definitely not as stiff as some (including me) thought he would be.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those who watched the game, I'm curious how Ray Black looked for the Giants. I've been following him and rooting for him for several years. Lost the first two years of his career to injuries, followed by a career 17.2 K/9 in the minors (along with 6.2 BB/9). DFA'd and released in early 2017, back in late 2017, now in the majors.

This is cool and all as long as you realize how silly it is? Baseball is so darn streaky that trying to pin a good stretch or bad stretch on something like this is completely worthless. Since the HR derby Harper and Hoskins have been hot, it doesn't mean the HR derby fixed those guys and wrecked Aguilar. That is trying to fit the story to the results and nothing more.

Silly? Silly is your condescending post. Many guys have went into the derby (which I didn’t even mention) and come back ice cold. I was more so mentioning being an all star because he’s probably needed a break. He’s a big guy that could’ve probably used 2-3 days off. Not only that but those all star things can be a distraction, especially if you’ve never dealt with it before. Is that the reason his swing and approach all of a sudden looks sloppy? I don’t know for sure but it sure could be a factor in it. It’s as good a reason as any. Along with the fact that he’s probably not the Babe and is regressing towards who he truly is as a hitter.

Many guys go into the derby and come back hot. Many guys go into the all star game and come out hot or cold. Many guys get the all star break off and then come back hot or cold. If Aguilar were hot right now people wouldn't' be blaming it on the all star game. If he hasn't participated and was cold people wouldn't be blaming it. There is absolutely no proof that the HR derby had anything to do with what is happening now and assigning blame to it is just throwing out random conjecture to fit the story you want to tell.

This is cool and all as long as you realize how silly it is? Baseball is so darn streaky that trying to pin a good stretch or bad stretch on something like this is completely worthless. Since the HR derby Harper and Hoskins have been hot, it doesn't mean the HR derby fixed those guys and wrecked Aguilar. That is trying to fit the story to the results and nothing more.

Silly? Silly is your condescending post. Many guys have went into the derby (which I didn’t even mention) and come back ice cold. I was more so mentioning being an all star because he’s probably needed a break. He’s a big guy that could’ve probably used 2-3 days off. Not only that but those all star things can be a distraction, especially if you’ve never dealt with it before. Is that the reason his swing and approach all of a sudden looks sloppy? I don’t know for sure but it sure could be a factor in it. It’s as good a reason as any. Along with the fact that he’s probably not the Babe and is regressing towards who he truly is as a hitter.

Many guys go into the derby and come back hot. Many guys go into the all star game and come out hot or cold. Many guys get the all star break off and then come back hot or cold. If Aguilar were hot right now people wouldn't' be blaming it on the all star game. If he hasn't participated and was cold people wouldn't be blaming it. There is absolutely no proof that the HR derby had anything to do with what is happening now and assigning blame to it is just throwing out random conjecture to fit the story you want to tell.

:laughing And where did I say 100% that it is the reason he is slumping? It’s a forum. It’s an OPINION of mine that him not getting a few days off didn’t help him. He was already trending down average wise heading into that game and now is waving at a lot of pitches, making weak contact, and swinging at balls. Is that all due to making the all star team? Probably not but you’re fighting a ridiculous battle on this one. You wake up grumpy? Not getting enough sleep on the west coast swing? Because it isn’t a random thought to fit a narrative and my opinion isn’t concrete (just like yours isn’t) on this topic.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I love how one move and a good game suddenly makes our offense this great beast. A week ago the sun was on its way to collide with earth and we should sell. Now the the forum is upbeat ready to reserve postseason tickets.

Times like this make me honestly wonder if a big acquisition can actually make the clubhouse more upbeat and make the team play better as a whole.

For us I think it might. We were struggling offensively - perhaps because guys were trying too hard? Now with another legit bat guys can relax and just play. And with these moves management tells the players they are all in and this could jack up the clubhouse too.

Didn’t get a chance to watch the game. How did Shaw look at 2B?

Not bad. Not all that many chances but definitely not as stiff as some (including me) thought he would be.

He didn’t have any chances of the type that will be most challenging. He looked pretty awkward going after a pop up to shallow center but managed to make the somewhat difficult over the shoulder catch. But there were no double plays to be turned and no grounders that he had to range for. So his range and ability to make an accurate throw after fielding a ball not hit right at him were not tested.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Archived