Brewer Fanatic

2018-07-28: Brewers (Chacín) at Giants (Cueto) 8:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-1 -- Mike Moustakas makes Brewers Debut]

Eye Black
Community Moderator
What was the game where the pitcher actually threw a perfect game, but the ump massively blotched the play and called someone safe (for a hit) that was clearly out?

OK, before anyone answers, I remember when this happened I thought 1 cool thing about was that it would end up being much more memorable than most actual perfectos because of the controversy.

So, who can name the 3 perfect games since this perfect game that wasn't happened?

Jim Joyce botched the call at 1B on Armando Galarraga’s perfect game.

At least he admitted his mistake and apologized the next day.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What was the game where the pitcher actually threw a perfect game, but the ump massively blotched the play and called someone safe (for a hit) that was clearly out?

Pretty sure it was Armando Galarraga.

And it was a really good ump who blew it.

All by memory so not sure. Tom Hallion maybe?

Edit: I looked it up and it was Jim Joyce who is widely recognized as the best ump in the game.

Didn't the ump publicly apologize, then Galarraga brought the lineup card out the next night or something like that? Was handled very classy if I remember right.

Double switch, pinch hitter-I don't care. Stop having Perez play the outfield. I get he's our utility player. That doesn't mean he's out there every other day and starting.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Edit: I looked it up and it was Jim Joyce who is widely recognized as the best ump in the game.

Didn't the ump publicly apologize, then Galarraga brought the lineup card out the next night or something like that? Was handled very classy if I remember right.

I don't recall that, but that sounds pretty cool.

Double switch, pinch hitter-I don't care. Stop having Perez play the outfield. I get he's our utility player. That doesn't mean he's out there every other day and starting.

He's a defensive upgrade over Thames late in a blowout. Don't see the issue. He's a pretty good defensive OF.

Cain for sure. Halladay?

Halladay was before but only by like a week.

Who can name the perfect game pitcher from the White Sox in 2012?

Who can name the perfect game pitcher from the As in 2010?

The white Sox guy was a big Tampa draft pick. Humber?

No idea on the Oakland guy. Braden? Seems like that should've been longer ago.

I don't recall that, but that sounds pretty cool.

Yeah, Joyce handled it as well as he could've. Class act... I just genuinely felt bad for him -- you could see the mistake just ate away at him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Community Moderator
Cain for sure. Halladay?

I remember the Phil Humber one just because it seemed so out of nowhere.

Cain for sure. Halladay?

The white Sox guy was a big Tampa draft pick. Humber?

No idea on the Oakland guy. Braden? Seems like that should've been longer ago.

Got them, Phil Humber and Dallas Braden. Considering only a few posters here could these guys, meaning 0.0000001% of casual fans, I am going to declare my theory that the best thing to ever happen to Armando Galarraga was that blown call to be correct.

He's a defensive upgrade over Thames late in a blowout. Don't see the issue. He's a pretty good defensive OF.

I get that, I'm just sick of seeing him. I would have kept Broxton even though I don't think he's good at all offensively. I guess that's when we expand in September that we can afford specialty roles. On a side note, who would have thought we'd win these first three? Baseball doesn't make sense

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Reminded by the Hunter Pence at bat last inning...fun thing to check out - occasionally when the team has an off day or during the off season, Hunter Pence plays video games and streams on Twitch.

You accurately used Hunter Pence and the word twitch in the same post, lol. Man is he annoying to watch.

Community Moderator
This was Joyce the next night.

That was a classy move the next day. Galarraga handled the whole thing so well. I’ll have to remember to use that next time the guys on my slowpitch softball team are barking at the umpire about a call at first base in a 10-run game.

Archived