Brewer Fanatic

2018-07-28: Brewers (Chacín) at Giants (Cueto) 8:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-1 -- Mike Moustakas makes Brewers Debut]

Eye Black
Community Moderator

HwyWD42.jpg

HwyWZ3I.jpg

[pre]Brewers Lineup Giants Lineup

1. Christian Yelich (L) RF 1. Andrew McCutchen ® RF

2. Lorenzo Cain ® CF 2. Steven Duggar (L) CF

3. Mike Moustakas (L) 3B 3. Brandon Crawford (L) SS

4. Jesús Aguilar ® 1B 4. Evan Longoria ® 3B

5. Travis Shaw (L) 2B 5. Pablo Sandoval (S) 1B

6. Eric Thames (L) LF 6. Alen Hanson (S) 2B

7. Erik Kratz ® C 7. Gorkys Hernández ® LF

8. Orlando Arcia ® SS 8. Nick Hundley ® C

9. Jhoulys Chacín ® P 9. Johnny Cueto ® P[/pre]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess:

Thames- LF

Cain- CF

Yelich- RF

Aguilar- 1B

Shaw- 2B

Mouse- 3B

Kratz- C

Arcia- SS

Chacin- P

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator
I think putting Yelich in the #3 spot would be a mistake. My preference would be to leave Yelich in the #2 spot where he has been dynamic and put Cain back at leadoff. I think Moustakas should bat third, Aguilar fourth, Shaw fifth, Thames/Braun sixth.

Community Moderator
Will Moustakas be with the team by tonight's game?

Yes, last night Counsell said he would be suited up for the game today. Also one of the beat reporters said that Travis Shaw would be at 2B tonight.

I feel like top 3 should be Cain yelich aguilar. After that I'm curious how cc puts Shaw moose and braun/Thames. Does Shaw stay 4? With Braun in does he split the lefties or bat 6th? When Thames plays are they gonna try and sneak a righty in there or go with the 3 lefties in a row?
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Community Moderator
Cubs down 6-0 after 1 with Quintana on the mound. Good thing they brought in the underwhelming Cole Hamels to help out their already underwhelming rotation.

Quintana's velo was down and command was awful...he looks hurt.

And 51 pitches in the first, yikes.

This is what would do with the line up, but I don't think this is how Counsell will do it.

Thames RF/LF

Yelich RF/LF

Cain CF

Moustakas 3b

Aguilar 1b

Shaw 2b

Kratz C

Arcia SS

Chacin P

I think Moustakas, Shaw, and Thames all need to be split in the line up. I don't want a lefty reliever coming in and getting to face them back to back without having to face a righty in between. Yelich hits lefties well so I'm not concerned with him being back to back with Thames.

I also think having Shaw and Moustakas split in the line up opens up a little more flexibility when it comes to double switches/defensive replacements once they get to the bullpen. Then Counsell can make a decision on who would be best to stay in the game at 3rd late in the game and if they're split in the line up one guy might make much more sense than the other.

If any hitter is perfectly qualified for batting 9th it's Orlando Arcia, yet never on BF.net do we see a lineup with him at #9. How about we just crowd-source a tatoo for his forehead that says "#9" so at some point when CC is filling out the lineup a light bulb will go on and he will put Orlando in his place...

So I don't have any issue with batting Arcia 9th. I think it makes sense. I don't think Counsell has done it since his first year managing the Brewers though. He's been asked about it and he said the numbers don't support that it makes any difference.

The goal of alternating L/R/L is what lead to Thames batting leadoff. Now with Moustaskas' left hand bat added, they can achieve the same balance without having to bat Thames at the top. Thank goodness! Thames looks much nicer in the 6 hole than the 1 spot.

He's been asked about it and he said the numbers don't support that it makes any difference.

CC has been known to make statements contrary to facts...

What's surprised me this year is as bad as Arcia has been or Pina, or (insert Brewers SS, C or 2B), opposing pitchers have tried to pitch around them to get to the Pitcher. At least having the Pitcher bat 8th gets some BB opportunities for Pina/Kratz, which Arcia's free swinging ways wastes... Batting #9 for Arcia and he'll see plenty of balls to hit until the video of him swinging at the ball 18 inches off the plate last night makes it through all the other teams scouts...

Can Arica hit 10th? Is that an option? Or maybe Counsell can petition the league to allow him to DH for Orlando and let the pitcher hit for himself.

Could you imagine the day when the NL adopts the DH and CC uses it to hit for Arcia?

Can Arica hit 10th? Is that an option? Or maybe Counsell can petition the league to allow him to DH for Orlando and let the pitcher hit for himself.

Could you imagine the day when the NL adopts the DH and CC uses it to hit for Arcia?

I remember in the Chad Moeller days when we played an AL team and had to check to see if it would be permissible to DH for him instead of the pitcher.

Archived