Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Trade for Mike Moustakas, Royals receive Phillips and Lopez

Eye Black
I think DS glanced at his OBP before trading for him. I don't love that either but a week or so back someone made a point that a guy hitting 6th in the line up doesn't necessarily need to have a great OBP he just needs to drive in runs. He definitely can do that. Not expecting miracles here.

I didn't mean to imply that I think he's bad. In fact, this is probably the best net offensive upgrade we could have hoped for (although it remains to be seen how Shaw's defense factors in). I guess I was just responding to the MLB.com coverage and the general notion that Moustakas is a star player.

Phillips/Lopez is not an unfair return though, we didn't exactly pay for an All Star.

Yeah I see your point and my response isn't only just to your posts. In the end he's another threat the line up needs. Not sure I would have had the stones to do this if I were in DS's shoes. Will be interesting to see if there's any further trades piggybacked off this one.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohhh yeah. I can’t even imagine what’s coming next Stearn’s has us all discombobulated.

In case you didn’t click that Adam McCalvy Twitter link...

Brewers GM David Stearns says he thinks he still has a move or two in him before Tuesday’s deadline.

I'll go a step further and say that I think he knows what that move(s) is/are already.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Happy for Brett Phillips in that he will be a major league regular now.

We can all watch him in next year's Major League All Star Game with Jean Segura and Scooter Gennett. ;)

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

My guess is Chris Archer

You might be right.

I really, really hope that you aren't.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Another thing about the transition to 2B is that simple tag plays are more difficult than at SS or 3B. In most instances, the 2B applies the tag with his back turned to the base runner, and novice 2B tend to drop throws because they unnecessarily rush the tag before securing the ball. Shaw is used to having the play in front of him.

Community Moderator

We can all watch him in next year's Major League All Star Game with Jean Segura and Scooter Gennett. ;)

And Mitch Haniger! :) (Yes, I know we can’t blame Stearns for Haniger).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Adam McCalvy on Twitter...

Brewers GM David Stearns says he thinks he still has a move or two in him before Tuesday’s deadline.

Let's do this.

Gotta trim those potential unprotected Rule 5 leftovers down anyways......

And Mitch Haniger! :) (Yes, I know we can’t blame Stearns for Haniger).

Throw Haniger on that pile. :laughing

Well, one thing's for sure. We can't say our GM doesn't have brass balls. Not many other GMs in the league would make this kind of a move. We needed an offensive spark, and he went and got us a bat that's hit 58 home runs in the last 246 games. And Moustakas isn't a defensive liability by any means.

I don't know if it will be a good or bad move yet, but we're 60-46, and the last 56 games of the season just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

There will be another move. No way they are playing Shaw at 2B. I can't see him turning a DP.

I know Phillips is having a down year but that's a ton to give up for a rental guy we could have just signed over the past winter.

I know Phillips is having a down year but that's a ton to give up for a rental guy we could have just signed over the past winter.

We weren't forward thinking enough last winter to try out a guy who moves like a 70 year old man with arthritic knees at 2B.

We built a division lead partly due to the defense. We sent down Arcia and we saw how that affected our IF defense. Now we are going to play Shaw at 2B and hurt it even more. This stinks to me.

Arcia can't reach the Uecker line. His OPS is sub-.500.

Second has been a disaster, despite multiple attempts. They could have called up Hiura, but decided to go this route instead.

The cost is low. Phillips and Lopez, I can live with.

Stokes is still around - and a better 4th OF option. Kind of a Brady Clark with power, and Corey Ray is in line to take over RF in 2020.

There will be another move. No way they are playing Shaw at 2B. I can't see him turning a DP.

Or we could just not protect Lopez and give him to a team this offseason. Very questionable if he would have made the 40 man... Good use of extra depth to help us now.

Or we could just not protect Lopez and give him to a team this offseason. Very questionable if he would have made the 40 man... Good use of extra depth to help us now.

Maybe Moustakas decides to stick around after this year.

Who knows what the offseason will bring?

Edit:

Think about this lineup for Opening Day 2019:

CF: Cain

LF: Yelich

1B: Aguilar

RF: Thames

2B: Shaw

3B: Moustakas

C: Pina

SS: Hager

I dunno about anyone else, but I like that kind of lineup.

Community Moderator

Moustakas has a .375 xwOBA which is 48th best in baseball this season among players with 250+ PAs, and third best on the Brewers now behind Jesús Aguilar (.391 xwOBA / 25th in MLB) and Christian Yelich (.380 xwOBA / 38th in MLB).

Also, I know they selected B.J. Surhoff (#1 overall) and Rickie Weeks (#2 overall), but have the Brewers ever traded for a former top two MLB draft pick? Moustakas was the #2 overall selection behind David Price in 2007.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived