Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Trade for Mike Moustakas, Royals receive Phillips and Lopez

Eye Black
Shaw will start at 2nd base tomorrow. Moustakas expected to play tomorrow. I don’t like giving up Phillips and I think Moustakas is overrated, especially if the Brewers lock in for his big bonus next year. Hopefully they don’t. He has only had 1-2 good seasons out of 8

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, I'm probably just throwing fuel on the fire for those who hate this move, but Moustakas' day / night splits are drastic. And not in the way that he's likely to improve the Brewers record in day games.

Playoff games are almost all night games, right?

Verified Member

I don't even care about the Shaw to 2B element of it, I just think Moustakas is one of the most classically overrated players in baseball, so I'm surprised Stearns went in for him.

Though again, Phillips and Lopez is not much to give up at this point.

The way teams employ defensive shifts these days players actually end up playing more positions than they used to anyway. How hard can it be to move to second vs playing third in the shift?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I don't even care about the Shaw to 2B element of it, I just think Moustakas is one of the most classically overrated players in baseball, so I'm surprised Stearns went in for him.

I think this was the option that left them in the best position to acquire more pitching.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

This is a completely stupid move. Shaw can't play 2B. I can't believe Stearns would pull this crap.

Please share your notes on those pregame fielding drills you were lucky enough to attend. That's awesome that you have such good access. Which member of the Brewers organization are you again?

I know Shaw can't play passable defense at 2B because he's never played there in professional baseball. There's a reason guys take thousands of reps in the minors at their intended position.

I know Shaw can't play passable defense at 2B because he's never played there in professional baseball. There's a reason guys take thousands of reps in the minors at their intended position.

That's the point, you don't know.

I think this was the option that left them in the best position to acquire more pitching.

Yeah hoping for one more move.

The way teams employ defensive shifts these days players actually end up playing more positions than they used to anyway. How hard can it be to move to second vs playing third in the shift?

Playing 2nd still requires range and athleticism. Shaw lacks both. This is terrible. I didn't want Machado because of cost + defense but at least with him you knew you were getting an elite bat. Now we're getting terrible defense and a slightly above average bat. I know our 2B have been terrible but is that slightly above average bat going to make up for the absolutely horrendous defense we're going to get?

Community Moderator

I picture the conversation with Shaw as something along these lines...

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Well that terribly overrated player still has 20 bombs and 62 RBI for a terrible team. * shrug *

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

That's the point, you don't know.

Shaw will make Rickie Weeks look like Roberto Alomar.

This will be a disaster.

However, I'm coming around to the idea that Stearns will be trading Shaw so I'll settle down for now.

Well that terribly overrated player still has 20 bombs and 62 RBI for a terrible team. * shrug *

You...you just proved his point.

Moustakas is what he is but even that is significantly better than what we have trotted out at second.

Verified Member

Precisely why he's overrated. He's doing it with a .309 OBP as a corner infielder.

I'm not saying he's bad, this is still an upgrade if Shaw can play passable defense at 2B, I just feel like Moustakas is treated like a perennial All Star simply because he was a first-round pick over a decade ago and played for a World Series team.

why can't Shaw play 2nd, he's an infielder, it's a shorter throw, less hot shots to deal with. yes there are double plays to see about and other intricacies, but he's an infielder playing an infield position. we is an average 3b and he will be an average 2b .

That's not how it works.

Basically you are minimizing one of Shaws better assets, his arm/accuracy.

His lack of range isn't as much of a factor at 3B as it will be exposed at 2b.

Think you are shoehorning too much to try and force some offense.

Well we sure will see teams rearrange their rotation to use their lefties against us. Hope Braun capitalizes.

Ryne Sandberg shifted from 3B to 2B early in this MLB career after never playing 2B in the minors. Perhaps it’s possible. My concern is whether he’s able to be money turning double plays. Back in the early ‘90’s that’s where Bill Spiers failed after making a similar position switch.

Shaw will be fine fielding and throwing from 2B. The only thing that worries me is his ability to turn a double play. That takes a lot of practice to get that footwork down.

Ball's going to be at the base while he's 10 feet away with how slow he is.

I picture the conversation with Shaw as something along these lines...

So true.

At least Hatteberg had the benefit of an off-season of practice and then spring training.

And hits in one of the best pitcher friendly parks in all of baseball. I'm stoked to see him hit at Miller Park.

Archived