Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Trade for Mike Moustakas, Royals receive Phillips and Lopez

Eye Black

Fascinating trade. Stearns is not afraid to think outside the box, that's for sure.

Obviously they have seen Shaw get some work at 2nd and feel he can't be much worse than Miller defensively. I'm guessing between the shifts, getting back Arcia at SS and factoring the offensive upgrade they feel this improves the team. The plan is probably to bring in Saldino/Villar/Perez anytime they have a lead after the 6th or 7th inning.

The cost for Moustakas doesn't bother me in the least. I like Phillips but he hasn't really shown anything other than an elite arm. Lopez is a fringe ML bullpen arm.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
I've never seen a 6'4" 230 lb second baseman before. This will be interesting.

That has been my exact thought every time this speculation came up. I just can’t picture him lumbering over to second base on a DP, but I hope I am wrong and it turns out to be a thing of beauty.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Shaw at 2B is a risk I probably wouldn't have taken but they've seen him taking grounders and making turns there so I'll have to assume they're comfortable with what they saw.

Two big pluses that hopefully aren't offset by weakened D...

1) The Brewers didn't give up much of anything notable imo. Both Phillips and Lopez showed themselves to be bottom of roster, AAAA types. Stearns has been a part of trading Phillips twice now. It's safe to say he didn't see much in him.

2) My favorite plus of this deal is: LESS HERNAN PEREZ!!! It should be at least. It better be.

Shaw will field balls hit near him. He’s going to have way below average range, and would be curious to see him turn a double play.

The really odd part to me is this isn’t even a platoon type option. We face a Kershaw or MadBum like tonight you might still end up with Pérez or Saladino playing 3B?

I don't doubt the Brewers are very confident he can play there. They wouldn't do this if he couldn't.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Shaw + prospects for Dozier/Gibson theory?

I hope not.

Agreed. If Dozier and Moustakas go elsewhere (which seems very possible, if not likely), then you have holes to fill at two or three (if Arcia doesn't start hitting) infield positions in the offseason...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

On top of Shaw playing second base concerns....Moustakas not that good of a hitter? .309 OBP? Fart.

You have to understand what he is replacing though. He isn't replacing Shaw, he replaces the revolving door at second which has been really, really bad. His offense is a very big improvement.

Unless Shaw is getting traded for a stud SS or 2B who isn't a rental, this is an incredibly dumb move. But maybe Stearns is messing with us like Gutekunst did trading back in the first and then moving back up to get the guy he wanted in the first place.

Community Moderator
Any chance Shaw goes to Mets for Wheeler?

I know he is controlled through 2022, but I think if Shaw were indeed going to get traded it would be to a team further along in their rebuild (or even to a contender with a starting pitching or positional player surplus).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This is a completely stupid move. Shaw can't play 2B. I can't believe Stearns would pull this crap.

Please share your notes on those pregame fielding drills you were lucky enough to attend. That's awesome that you have such good access. Which member of the Brewers organization are you again?

why can't Shaw play 2nd, he's an infielder, it's a shorter throw, less hot shots to deal with. yes there are double plays to see about and other intricacies, but he's an infielder playing an infield position. we is an average 3b and he will be an average 2b .

That's not how it works.

I don't get this at all, maybe I need to sleep on it. :indifferent

I'm not too worried about what we gave up either way though.

Exactly. At worst they traded a couple guys that won't be missed too badly and if Shaw is a disaster at 2B then he and Moose will be sharing playing time at 3rd the rest of the season.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

This is a completely stupid move. Shaw can't play 2B. I can't believe Stearns would pull this crap.

Please share your notes on those pregame fielding drills you were lucky enough to attend. That's awesome that you have such good access. Which member of the Brewers organization are you again?

I agree. At least wait and see what happens.

Archived