Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Trade for Mike Moustakas, Royals receive Phillips and Lopez

Eye Black
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Moustakas's stats since the trade:

.286/.321/.490

Shaw's stats since the trade:

.279/.333/.558

So the Brewers could have skipped the Moose trade, kept Shaw at 3B--and instead trade for a 2B who's actually better than Jonathan Villar.

Who would that be? Dozier?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moustakas's stats since the trade:

.286/.321/.490

Shaw's stats since the trade:

.279/.333/.558

So the Brewers could have skipped the Moose trade, kept Shaw at 3B--and instead trade for a 2B who's actually better than Jonathan Villar.

Who would that be? Dozier?

Yes. The Brewers gave up a hell of lot more talent for Moose and Schoop than the Dodgers did to get Dozier.

Yes. The Brewers gave up a hell of lot more talent for Moose and Schoop than the Dodgers did to get Dozier.

Sure. And Cole Hamels has had 2 excellent starts for the Cubs and in 2008 CC Sabathia went undefeated for the Brewers. Sometimes these things work out and sometimes they don't. **** happens. I would have preferred Dozier, myself, and a SP addition. Then a FA for 2019 at 2B. I can see they didin't think there was a chance that they could upgrade SS or C (Realmuto was too expensive), so a 2B upgrade was necessary by way of getting Moustakas and moving Shaw to 2B. The part that really makes this a bad deadline period was the Schoop trade. Absolutely didn't need him...

Moose has been better than Dozier. At this point in both their careers, he is a better hitter. Shaw has also played a passable 2B, exceeding most everyone's expectations. I know you are trying to argue to fit your narrative of hating this trade since it was announced, but for the most part, it has worked out well. Moose's bat replacing whichever bum was playing 2B has been a positive.

Schoop is a whole different argument, though. I totally get that view that getting him was excessive. I just hope he starts hitting to justify it better.

Dozier is not, and won't be a 1.000 OPS 2nd baseman. Schoop is not, and won't be a .400 OPS 2nd baseman going forward.

It's completely legit to question the necessity of adding another infielder. If Schoop were added to play SS 4-5 days a week, and you expected him to OPS .750+ for the rest of the year (and he's looked pretty competent at short when he's played there), then it makes more sense under that lens, but I'm not going to say (again) that there is not merit to the argument that we didn't need Schoop.

Adding just Moose, and moving Shaw to 2nd, I was initially skeptical of, but Shaw has looked solid, if unremarkable there. The way the Brewers shift and position their players has convinced me that Shaw is capable of manning the position, and I had and have no doubts that Moose is and will be an offensive force in the lineup.

I can definitely see why the Brewers brass would be concerned about Arcia's offense, and would want to add more pop to the lineup. I know Perez is a capable defender, and so is Saladino, but I also see the Brewers looking at Schoop's 2017 stat line and knowing that his ceiling is a lot more than you can hope to get out of any one of the three of Arcia, Saladino, or Perez over the next 50 games.

I'm not even saying it's the right move, it's questionable, but they're saying it's worth a shot.

I am sure this has been discussed somewhere in here but I don't want to look through 21 pages of comments, but can we make a qualifying offer to Moustakas that would net us a draft pick next year? Or since he has a mutual option are you not able to make a QO. Not sure how this stuff works...

Have to be with the team the whole year and can only be offered once and since he was offered last year he can't be offered again.

Moose has been better than Dozier.

They don't play the same position. Moose replaced Shaw, who is perfectly fine at 3B. And now Shaw has no position since two inferior players are stealing his at bats.

Moose is better than Dozier offensively, and that is 99% of what matters here. Obviously the Brewers are punting on defense. But you keep floating that narrative to support your argument.

Look at it from this perspective, prior to July 31st the worst hitters on the Brewers were: Brad Miller, Tyler Saladino, Jonathon Villar, Pina, Kratz and Arica.

Since the trade, Miller has zero at bats (released) Saladino has 0 at bats (optioned), Villar has zero at bats (traded) Arcia has 20 at bats and Hernan Perez has 23 at bats.

Moustakas has 53 and Schoop has 39 at bats. It’s addition by subtraction and they didn’t give up anyone who was pegged to be a contributor in the near future.

With the way things have shaken out it probably was a mistake to add only one reliever and no starting pitcher or catcher, but both the other Trades for hitters were moves that strengthened the club

Look at it from this perspective, prior to July 31st the worst hitters on the Brewers were: Brad Miller, Tyler Saladino, Jonathon Villar, Pina, Kratz and Arica.

Since the trade, Miller has zero at bats (released) Saladino has 0 at bats (optioned), Villar has zero at bats (traded) Arcia has 20 at bats and Hernan Perez has 23 at bats.

Moustakas has 53 and Schoop has 39 at bats. It’s addition by subtraction and they didn’t give up anyone who was pegged to be a contributor in the near future.

With the way things have shaken out it probably was a mistake to add only one reliever and no starting pitcher or catcher, but both the other Trades for hitters were moves that strengthened the club

Exactly! The Moose trade was 100% made to strengthen the black hole that had become the lower part of the lineup. The Schoop trade was made with the same idea in mind, even though that hasn't worked out as planned yet. It isn't like Shaw has turned into a sub, either. He's either playing at 3B or 2B almost every day, and when he isn't, he's the first bat off the bench. So not only did the trades strengthen the lineup, they strengthened the bench.

I think if the bullpen had performed better the last few weeks there wouldn't be much talk about the deadline moves.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There's still time for the Schoop trade to work out. When the trade happened he was the hottest hitter in the AL, and Yelich was the hottest hitter in the NL. Both now have gone cold. That's baseball. Hopefully they'll turn it on soon.

What bugs me is the Brewers supposedly had interest in Mike Fiers at the deadline but couldn't even come up with a reasonable offer to land him. In his first start with Oakland he allowed 1 run and fanned 8 in 5 1/3 innings against the Dodgers.

There's still time for the Schoop trade to work out. When the trade happened he was the hottest hitter in the AL, and Yelich was the hottest hitter in the NL. Both now have gone cold. That's baseball. Hopefully they'll turn it on soon.

What bugs me is the Brewers supposedly had interest in Mike Fiers at the deadline but couldn't even come up with a reasonable offer to land him. In his first start with Oakland he allowed 1 run and fanned 8 in 5 1/3 innings against the Dodgers.

I'm guessing they gambled they could get him on a waiver deal and Oakland snuck up in front of them and took him.

I'm guessing they gambled they could get him on a waiver deal and Oakland snuck up in front of them and took him.

I'm not sure how much sneaking was involved. There were reports of multiple teams interested in Fiers before the deadline and the Brewers would have been 29th in line to get him on waivers.

I'm not sure how much sneaking was involved. There were reports of multiple teams interested in Fiers before the deadline and the Brewers would have been 29th in line to get him on waivers.

What was Oakland?

Manny Machado with the Dodgers .784 OPS

Mike Moustakas with the Brewers .816 OPS

Manny Machado with the Dodgers .784 OPS

Mike Moustakas with the Brewers .816 OPS

The scary world of rentals. In such short samples of a few months it is almost a total lottery of who will actually be hot.

Yup. Could all change tomorrow of course.

Phillips is following the Brinson path of struggling mightily to put the bat on the ball after a solid 3 game stretch @ the White Sox when he first came up.

A .188 average and .585 OPS with KC (that includes his 4/13, 1 HR, 2 2B stretch @CWS). Since that nice little CWS series, he is 8/49 with 2 2B, 1 3B, 0 HR, 5 BB, and 22 Ks.

Lopez has given up 7 runs in 9.2 innings.

You obviously cheer for a seemingly good guy like Phillips but also some struggles do help as a Brewers fan ease the percieved cost of a rental. Obviously a long way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
Soooo you are Stearns, are you picking up Moose’s option? Does Moose agree? I’m really liking Moose on this team. Bat has been good, D has been mostly really good.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Soooo you are Stearns, are you picking up Moose’s option? Does Moose agree? I’m really liking Moose on this team. Bat has been good, D has been mostly really good.

Depends what you do with Schoop, Thames, even Aguilar.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sell high on Aguilar if there are any takers. Kind of tired of him and has trotting ways. I like moose a lot. Solid glove and professional hitter. Nothing overly impressive, but solid all around.

Aguilar is cheap for a long time though which makes it tougher as compared to Thames or Schoop or even Shaw if they want Thames/Aguilar 1st & Moose 3rd.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived