Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals Release Greg Holland

Community Moderator

What a disaster of a signing this was. $14 million down the drain.

Not to mention the lost 2nd round draft pick and coinciding draft bonus pool money. For a team that has seemingly lived a charmed existence in recent decades, this signing turned out to be one really poor decision. The team that truly lucked out here is the Rockies by virtue of Holland tuning down their $17.4 million qualifying offer.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Man, those late signings that many (including myself) were clamoring for have been... errr... really bad.

Lynn, Cobb, and Holland.

And for a position player, several (including myself) were also wondering why bringing back Neil Walker wasn't considered and he went cheap a couple weeks into spring training.

Can you imagine how tough a situation the Rockies would be in had he taken the Wade Davis deal? The sure dodged a bullet.

And Boras and Holland were foolish enough to turn down that contract, costing Holland over 30 million dollars.

I remember making the suggestion that the Brewers should throw him a 4 million dollar offer just a couple days before he signed with St. Louis. Boy, I missed badly on that one as it would have been 4 million down the ole' toilet. Doesn't break my heart that the Cardinals botched this up three+ times worse than I would have.

Stearns is very good, it’s amazing that people are even wondering how short his leash is right now.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What a disaster of a signing this was. $14 million down the drain.

Not to mention the lost 2nd round draft pick and coinciding draft bonus pool money. For a team that has seemingly lived a charmed existence in recent decades, this signing turned out to be one really poor decision. The team that truly lucked out here is the Rockies by virtue of Holland tuning down their $17.4 million qualifying offer.

Don't forget the 50 million they have tied up in Dexter Fowler for the next three years. It's almost August and he's hitting .181 with a .587 OPS.

Don't forget the 50 million they have tied up in Dexter Fowler for the next three years. It's almost August and he's hitting .181 with a .587 OPS.

I was questioning that signing when it happened. While I think Fowler is a good player he is just not worth the contract that received. I was hoping it would have been the Cubs giving him that contract but the Cardinals doing it was the next best option.

I don't believe Fowler is as bad as he has been this year but the year he had with the Cubs I don't believe he is that player either. Broxton is similar to Fowler while not a perfect comparison I believe Broxton's ceiling is that of Fowler.

I wonder if Holland would accept a minor league assignment until the end of August. If he sucks let him go but if he finds something it could be a free upgrade.
TRUST ME, he sucks! 41 saves last year, this year ZERO saves and I don't know how many blown ones and losses. Another case of a ball player thinking he won't suck if he goes off his 'roids.

Man, those late signings that many (including myself) were clamoring for have been... errr... really bad.

Lynn, Cobb, and Holland.

And for a position player, several (including myself) were also wondering why bringing back Neil Walker wasn't considered and he went cheap a couple weeks into spring training.

Not sure what your point is here. But I want to make sure you know that Walker has sucked this year (I can't tell if sarcastic). I know in some of the other threads people don't realize how bad he has been this year.

Archived