Brewer Fanatic

2018-07-27: Brewers (Anderson) at Giants (Bumgarner) 9:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-1 -- Joakim Soria Debut]

Eye Black

I knew Boggs was good but I was really surprised how good he was that year. Same with Trammel.

Going by BBR, I'm a bit surprised as well. Five seasons with an 8+ WAR (high of 9.1). Another of 7.8.

I knew his AVG was insanely high, but I didn't know how many walks he took. Those first eight years, he won five batting titles, and led the league in OBP six times. Hit .352 with a .444 OBP. Not a lot of power, but he was a doubles machine, and very good defensively.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Longoria double clutched hahaha. MadBum psycho hahahaha

If Longoria doesn't show up to the park tomorrow, Mad Bum will be the first one questioned.

I didn't really realize until last night how somewhat sneaky good of a career that Longoria has had. Like, possibly HOF good.

Playing in front of 8,000 people most nights doesn’t help with the recognition.

Good guess. Here are all of our second place finishers (Brewers only). Can you name the winners?

2011 Braun - Winner = Jose Reyes

1987 Molitor

1982 Yount

1980 Cooper - Winner = George Brett

I also missed one since he was so far behind the leader, but

1973 George Scott

I just looked at that 1987 season and Boggs OPS was .461/.588/1.049 and Molitor’s was .438/.566/1.003 and they finished 9th and 5th respectively in MVP voting. George Bell won the MVP with .352/,605/.957 but had 47 HR, 134 RBI.

Boggs had 8.3 WAR, Trammel 8.2, Molitpr 6.0 and Bell was 9th with 5.0.

Roger Clemens actually led the AL with 9.4 WAR.

I knew Boggs was good but I was really surprised how good he was that year. Same with Trammel.

A great debate, who was better, Boggs or Brett?

If Longoria doesn't show up to the park tomorrow, Mad Bum will be the first one questioned.

I didn't really realize until last night how somewhat sneaky good of a career that Longoria has had. Like, possibly HOF good.

I looked at him about five minutes ago. 50 + WAR, almost 300 HR. He's certainly got a chance if he can finish strong.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

It's easy to forget when you spend a whole career in Tampa Bay. For awhile it was him, Braun, and Tulo tearing up the majors.

Both great players, but if I were a manager, I'd rather have Brett. I think he could just do more. Boggs was the better glove man, but I don't think the gap is as big as these metrics make it. I always thought Brett was pretty good defensively (I've given up trying to understand defensive historical metrics). Brett had better power, and had speed that Boggs could never touch.

Yelich is inserting himself into the MVP discussion now. Holy crap.

Man Yelich stay hot!

The base running too, he cut it off and I’m thinking it’s Yelich so he still might be able to stretch it. The camera pans back to the infield and he’s already pulling up, 3/4 of the way to second.

Both great players, but if I were a manager, I'd rather have Brett. I think he could just do more. Boggs was the better glove man, but I don't think the gap is as big as these metrics make it. I always thought Brett was pretty good defensively (I've given up trying to understand defensive historical metrics). Brett had better power, and had speed that Boggs could never touch.

Off the field they are close as well. Boggs with an outstanding mustache and was known to eat lots of fried chicken and drink lots of beer. but

Archived