Brewer Fanatic

Joakim Soria to the Brewers, Medeiros and Perez (not Hernan) to White Sox

JDBrewCrew
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's actually on the books through 2031, with 10 years of deferred salary.

Ah. So we will have our very own Bobby Bonilla.

Right, he is relevantly on the books through 2020 though. $4 million buyout and the small amounts of deferred salary aren't really going to impact anything. I'm moreso referring to those big $20 million numbers.

Oh well thats not bad. I wasn't aware of the buyout. Can all but guarantee they will buy him out.

The Brewers acquired Anthony Swarzak from the WhiteSox on July 26, 2017.

The Brewers acquired Joakim Soria from the WhiteSox on July 26, 2018.

Apparently July 26 is "Trade For an Overachieving Reliever" Day! ;)

Hopefully they call up Kopech and have him in the bullpen next year!

Suter's already off the 40 man due to injury

So you'd give him Diplan's spot then next season and likely lose Diplan after already stowing him away for a full season? - teams maybe have room for 1-2 players to stash on the 40 man who need more time to develop before contributing at the MLB level. And you just can't give 25+ 40 man roster spots to pitchers by assuming all the MIF filler is gone next season and can be replaced by fewer bodies on the 40 man roster. Also, there are other players currently not on the 40 man that would need to be if you want them on the 2019 game day roster way ahead of Medeiros (Jimmy Nelson, Keston Hiura).

What do you want to do with Ortiz? Supak/Ponce? Kirby? Bickford? Devin Williams? Can't keep 'em all...

No I would not give up Diplan's spot, it was merely showing that you can wait for a couple players to develop. (Although I personally would rather have Medeiros). Do we really need to have Orf, Dubon, Hiura, Arcia, Villar, Miller, Saladino, and Perez on the 40 man? Seems like a lot of players for a few positions especially with a lot of these players have positional versatility.

Remove: Miley, Perez, Orf, Wilkerson, Ascher

Add: Ortiz, Supak, Gatewood, Medeiros, Devin Williams, (Keston after Super 2 status)

So no Jimmy Nelson next year? Who do you drop after calling up Hiura? Frankly, none of the names you'd want to add would factor into 2019 MLB plans, meaning the Brewers would enter next season playing with what essentially is a 34-man roster for Milwaukee (assuming Diplan isn't ready, either). That's simply not realistic, or smart.

My biggest dissappointment in his trade: I saw Perez was involved and it wasn’t Hernán

I had that same reaction. Just reading a post saying Perez and I got too excited.

Honest mistake. I saw Perez and was hoping they just spelled Braun incorrectly.

My biggest dissappointment in his trade: I saw Perez was involved and it wasn’t Hernán

I had that same reaction. Just reading a post saying Perez and I got too excited.

:laughing this is one of my favorite posts!

Kodi pitched his way on to our 40 man so we gave up a lot but we got a lot in Soria. And no we are highly unlikely to pick up his option.

Well unless he declines the option, the Brewers would have to pay the $1M buyout. In effect, the Brewers decision making will be using $9M as his cost for 2019.

If he continues to pitch as he has this year, through the end of the year, and fits into the clubhouse - it would be a pretty hard decision to let him go.

I still would not do it. If my math is correct they are paying the current bullpen about $11M total. So, almost double the bullpen budget to add one more pitcher? No thanks.

I'm not sure why that amount for 1 year matters to any fan. It's not coming out of your pocket and there's likely no opportunity cost for that type of deal.

Well unless he declines the option, the Brewers would have to pay the $1M buyout. In effect, the Brewers decision making will be using $9M as his cost for 2019.

If he continues to pitch as he has this year, through the end of the year, and fits into the clubhouse - it would be a pretty hard decision to let him go.

I still would not do it. If my math is correct they are paying the current bullpen about $11M total. So, almost double the bullpen budget to add one more pitcher? No thanks.

I'm not sure why that amount for 1 year matters to any fan. It's not coming out of your pocket and there's likely no opportunity cost for that type of deal.

Exactly. And the Brewers will still manage to have one of the lowest payrolls in the league regardless.

What's the timing between needing to pick up that potential option and potentially trading Soria in the offseason/winter meetings if the Brewers feel like they are set in the pen for 2019 without needing a $10M late inning reliever? I would think that may be a possibility as well.

So you'd give him Diplan's spot then next season and likely lose Diplan after already stowing him away for a full season? - teams maybe have room for 1-2 players to stash on the 40 man who need more time to develop before contributing at the MLB level. And you just can't give 25+ 40 man roster spots to pitchers by assuming all the MIF filler is gone next season and can be replaced by fewer bodies on the 40 man roster. Also, there are other players currently not on the 40 man that would need to be if you want them on the 2019 game day roster way ahead of Medeiros (Jimmy Nelson, Keston Hiura).

What do you want to do with Ortiz? Supak/Ponce? Kirby? Bickford? Devin Williams? Can't keep 'em all...

No I would not give up Diplan's spot, it was merely showing that you can wait for a couple players to develop. (Although I personally would rather have Medeiros). Do we really need to have Orf, Dubon, Hiura, Arcia, Villar, Miller, Saladino, and Perez on the 40 man? Seems like a lot of players for a few positions especially with a lot of these players have positional versatility.

Add: Ortiz, Supak, Gatewood, Medeiros, Devin Williams, (Keston after Super 2 status)

So no Jimmy Nelson next year? Who do you drop after calling up Hiura? Frankly, none of the names you'd want to add would factor into 2019 MLB plans, meaning the Brewers would enter next season playing with what essentially is a 34-man roster for Milwaukee (assuming Diplan isn't ready, either). That's simply not realistic, or smart.

That is certainly a valid point. Diplan is pretty much the only guy on the 40 man this year that isn't expected to help at the big league level. Dubon was added to that list after getting hurt but having six guys on the 40 man with minimal to no chance at helping the big league club is quite a bit for a team that is considered a playoff contender.

:laughing this is one of my favorite posts!

I loved rooting for Kodi, and he appeared to make serious strides this year. The only way this deal makes sense is if DS has confidence that Kodi won't be one of his 40 most essential roster players when the Rule 5 draft comes around (a thought process that has to take account of which other Rule 5-eligible players he'll be able to trade for value between now and then). In that case it makes a ton of sense. The Brewers' front office knows a lot more about talent evaluation than I do, and their work on finding good players has earned them a pretty substantial benefit of the doubt, so I'm reluctantly on board with this deal.

Somewhat random question...but if Soria declines his side of the mutual option...we still pay him the $1M buyout?

No...pretty sure that is only if we buy out of the deal. There is really no “buying out” for the player. Unless he pays us $1mil which would be cool.

I loved rooting for Kodi, and he appeared to make serious strides this year. The only way this deal makes sense is if DS has confidence that Kodi won't be one of his 40 most essential roster players when the Rule 5 draft comes around (a thought process that has to take account of which other Rule 5-eligible players he'll be able to trade for value between now and then). In that case it makes a ton of sense. The Brewers' front office knows a lot more about talent evaluation than I do, and their work on finding good players has earned them a pretty substantial benefit of the doubt, so I'm reluctantly on board with this deal.

I don't buy the premise. If he would have made the 40 next year or not, it's still a good trade. Why does it only make sense if he would have made the 40 man next year? (Which I'm sure he would have, by the way.)

As much as I don't like the trade, it will be nice having another really strong option in the bullpen. There won't be days where Jeffress/Hader/Knebel were all used 2 of the last 3 days and are mostly unavailable...so we throw out Drake/Logan/yuck pitchers and it costs us games. We should be able to nail down games that we get leads in the first 5-6 innings at a very high clip going forward. And maybe this acquisition revitalizes some of the guys.

Ditto on not liking the trade for a variety of reasons, but losing games when they've lead after 6 innings has not been a problem for this team. And there are going to be days where you are getting blown out and it's just fine to use Drake/Logan/etc. I just think there was zero need to get fatter in the bullpen right now. They need an impact bat or two and a SP that can project as somewhere between ACE and #3. If they go out and get a Ray Durham type, I'll lose my mind. As fun as trading is, I wish they would have just stood pat with their resources this year. They really failed to capitalize on their start for the 2nd year in a row and make a move in early July to push the envelope, a la Sabathia. Instead, they sat on their hands and allowed a horrible losing streak, more than likely, cause a repeat of 2017 and a complete miss of the playoffs. I've read this novel too many times as a Brewers fan. I'll be shocked if they get an impact bat and a worthy SP to go along with Soria. If they don't, I don't see the point in Soria.

This is good, although expensive, insurance if we can't land a quality starter.

Frequently we have been out of bullpen arms because our starters simply can't get much more than 15 outs. We had to do something.

Are they willing to go to arbitration with both Santana and Villar? I doubt it. They couldn't move Santana when he was making near minimum

Are they willing to go to arbitration with both Santana and Villar? I doubt it. They couldn't move Santana when he was making near minimum. Villar already has negative value.

As much as I don't like the trade, it will be nice having another really strong option in the bullpen. There won't be days where Jeffress/Hader/Knebel were all used 2 of the last 3 days and are mostly unavailable...so we throw out Drake/Logan/yuck pitchers and it costs us games. We should be able to nail down games that we get leads in the first 5-6 innings at a very high clip going forward. And maybe this acquisition revitalizes some of the guys.

Ditto on not liking the trade for a variety of reasons, but losing games when they've lead after 6 innings has not been a problem for this team. And there are going to be days where you are getting blown out and it's just fine to use Drake/Logan/etc. I just think there was zero need to get fatter in the bullpen right now. They need an impact bat or two and a SP that can project as somewhere between ACE and #3. If they go out and get a Ray Durham type, I'll lose my mind. As fun as trading is, I wish they would have just stood pat with their resources this year. They really failed to capitalize on their start for the 2nd year in a row and make a move in early July to push the envelope, a la Sabathia. Instead, they sat on their hands and allowed a horrible losing streak, more than likely, cause a repeat of 2017 and a complete miss of the playoffs. I've read this novel too many times as a Brewers fan. I'll be shocked if they get an impact bat and a worthy SP to go along with Soria. If they don't, I don't see the point in Soria.

Step off the ledge son. We trades the 13th rated prosp in the system. Plenty of time to make one or several trades.

You are calling the season over on July 26th when we are leading the wild card standings and 2.5 games out of 1st in the division with the 3rd best overall record in the National League?

I mean, predictions and opinions are your right .... but that is pretty pessimistic, no?

Archived