Brewer Fanatic

Joakim Soria to the Brewers, Medeiros and Perez (not Hernan) to White Sox

JDBrewCrew
Soria was in Los Angeles with the White Sox, so I have to assume they can get him to San Francisco fairly quickly?

Not Soria-specific question. The CBA allows 72 hours to report. Has any player ever taken close to that long to report when it is a trade to a contending team?

One year ago this week I was in Washington for the series with the Nats and even the Nats fans were asking me "when is your new pitcher (Swarzack) getting here? Reagan National is a major airport"

Looking at old articles, it says he was in uniform on Thursday July 27. I think the trade was finalized Tuesday. Not sure where he was before traveling to Washington.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Milwaukee Brewers that I know and love are not picking up a $10M option on what will then be a 35 year old reliever.

Right. Let a deep pockets team spend that kind of money on a reliever. That's not were the Brewers should be spending that kind of money and I believe Moneyball thinking also states not to spend a lot on relievers.

Unfortunately that makes the deal Kodi+ for a straight up reliever rental which is less than enthralling.

I was okay giving up Cordell for one last year, I'm a lot less enthused about giving up a pitcher with the upside of Medeiros. Especially with how barren we now are on the farm for lefty arms. There is just nothing now. Not that I think the return is unfair but I would have rather given up someone like Diplan, Ponce or Brown.

I get the lefty thing but if Stearns and Co. are higher on Diplan, Prince and Brown I am good with parting with Medeiros. Or maybe the White Sox wanted Kodi and didn’t want those other guys.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I generally hate mutual options because they just seem dumb to me. It's literally nothing more than an arbitrary 1 year contract agreed to well before either side knows what the player's value is going to be with a chance for both to opt out once they know. Most of the time that value is not going to be right there in the middle and so one side will decline.

That said, given how scary the market was for guys like Greg Holland this year when they willingly went on the market, if Soria pitches well the rest of the way I could see this being one of those rare mutual options that gets exercised by both sides.

Please.... We knew coming in he'd be a project; the dude is 22 and he has no value. Just stop.

So please tell me, is Medeiros on our opening day roster next year, or who else are you willing to cut loose to give him a 40-man spot?

We don't get to just develop these guys forever and wait for a miracle to happen, that's not how it works.

**See Marcos Diplan

I would've added him to the 40-man next year. Players currently on the 40 man that are expendable: Wade Miley, Suter (injury), Brad Miller/Villar/Orf, Wilkerson, Ascher.

Also, not sure how trading one 40 man spot for another 40 man spot is going to alleviate the issue.

They passed on Trea Turner, Justus Sheffield, Matt Chapman, Jack Flaherty and Sean Newcomb to get Kodi.

That was under the Melvin regime - there's a whole new team in place now.

And a bunch of the players taken before him have done nothing as well. The draft is a huge crapshoot in basball.

The Milwaukee Brewers that I know and love are not picking up a $10M option on what will then be a 35 year old reliever.

Right. Let a deep pockets team spend that kind of money on a reliever. That's not were the Brewers should be spending that kind of money and I believe Moneyball thinking also states not to spend a lot on relievers.

That is not spending a lot in a 1 year contract. Any time you can get a player for just a 1 year commitment it is worth paying the premium. That is also the same money they gave a 32 year old Eric Gagne for 1 year, certainly not unheard of. For the next couple of years we still have some payroll flexibility especially for 1 year type deals.

They passed on Trea Turner, Justus Sheffield, Matt Chapman, Jack Flaherty and Sean Newcomb to get Kodi.

That was under the Melvin regime - there's a whole new team in place now.

And a bunch of the players taken before him have done nothing as well. The draft is a huge crapshoot in basball.

True, but it's not all luck. The Brewers first rounders since 2009 have generated the lowest amount of B-Ref WAR than any team in the NL. Maybe the Stearns era will be more fruitful. It has to be.

Ken Rosenthal

Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal

1m1 minute ago

More

Source: #WhiteSox sent #Brewers just over $1M as part of Soria trade. Soria owed nearly $3.25M rest of the way, plus a $1M buyout on a $10M mutual option.

Kodi pitched his way on to our 40 man so we gave up a lot but we got a lot in Soria. And no we are highly unlikely to pick up his option.

Well unless he declines the option, the Brewers would have to pay the $1M buyout. In effect, the Brewers decision making will be using $9M as his cost for 2019.

If he continues to pitch as he has this year, through the end of the year, and fits into the clubhouse - it would be a pretty hard decision to let him go.

Please.... We knew coming in he'd be a project; the dude is 22 and he has no value. Just stop.

So please tell me, is Medeiros on our opening day roster next year, or who else are you willing to cut loose to give him a 40-man spot?

We don't get to just develop these guys forever and wait for a miracle to happen, that's not how it works.

**See Marcos Diplan

I would've added him to the 40-man next year. Players currently on the 40 man that are expendable: Wade Miley, Suter (injury), Brad Miller/Villar/Orf, Wilkerson, Ascher.

Suter's already off the 40 man due to injury

So you'd give him Diplan's spot then next season and likely lose Diplan after already stowing him away for a full season? - teams maybe have room for 1-2 players to stash on the 40 man who need more time to develop before contributing at the MLB level. And you just can't give 25+ 40 man roster spots to pitchers by assuming all the MIF filler is gone next season and can be replaced by fewer bodies on the 40 man roster. Also, there are other players currently not on the 40 man that would need to be if you want them on the 2019 game day roster way ahead of Medeiros (Jimmy Nelson, Keston Hiura).

What do you want to do with Ortiz? Supak/Ponce? Kirby? Bickford? Devin Williams? Can't keep 'em all...

Ken Rosenthal

Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal

1m1 minute ago

More

Source: #WhiteSox sent #Brewers just over $1M as part of Soria trade. Soria owed nearly $3.25M rest of the way, plus a $1M buyout on a $10M mutual option.

You can see what the Brewers were thinking. We want $1M for that buyout option.

Kodi pitched his way on to our 40 man so we gave up a lot but we got a lot in Soria. And no we are highly unlikely to pick up his option.

Well unless he declines the option, the Brewers would have to pay the $1M buyout. In effect, the Brewers decision making will be using $9M as his cost for 2019.

If he continues to pitch as he has this year, through the end of the year, and fits into the clubhouse - it would be a pretty hard decision to let him go.

I still would not do it. If my math is correct they are paying the current bullpen about $11M total. So, almost double the bullpen budget to add one more pitcher? No thanks.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

That is not spending a lot in a 1 year contract. Any time you can get a player for just a 1 year commitment it is worth paying the premium. That is also the same money they gave a 32 year old Eric Gagne for 1 year, certainly not unheard of. For the next couple of years we still have some payroll flexibility especially for 1 year type deals.

2019 in particular is going to be very difficult to handle that $10 million option. I'm not going to hijack this thread with an in depth look at payroll, but we have significant commitments in 2019 and probably won't have a ton of room to add payroll. That $10 million would really hurt our flexibility. We don't get much of a break until Braun's contract is gone after 2020.

As much as I don't like the trade, it will be nice having another really strong option in the bullpen. There won't be days where Jeffress/Hader/Knebel were all used 2 of the last 3 days and are mostly unavailable...so we throw out Drake/Logan/yuck pitchers and it costs us games. We should be able to nail down games that we get leads in the first 5-6 innings at a very high clip going forward. And maybe this acquisition revitalizes some of the guys.

2019 in particular is going to be very difficult to handle that $10 million option. I'm not going to hijack this thread with an in depth look at payroll, but we have significant commitments in 2019 and probably won't have a ton of room to add payroll. That $10 million would really hurt our flexibility. We don't get much of a break until Braun's contract is gone after 2020.

Unfortunately, Braun is on the books through the 2021 season.

Brewers will be fine payroll wise. Enough young talent coming in that is cheap. And they have room to expand payroll as it has been discussed in the past. If Soria is lights out, we will probably try to keep him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Suter's already off the 40 man due to injury

So you'd give him Diplan's spot then next season and likely lose Diplan after already stowing him away for a full season? - teams maybe have room for 1-2 players to stash on the 40 man who need more time to develop before contributing at the MLB level. And you just can't give 25+ 40 man roster spots to pitchers by assuming all the MIF filler is gone next season and can be replaced by fewer bodies on the 40 man roster. Also, there are other players currently not on the 40 man that would need to be if you want them on the 2019 game day roster way ahead of Medeiros (Jimmy Nelson, Keston Hiura).

What do you want to do with Ortiz? Supak/Ponce? Kirby? Bickford? Devin Williams? Can't keep 'em all...

No I would not give up Diplan's spot, it was merely showing that you can wait for a couple players to develop. (Although I personally would rather have Medeiros). Do we really need to have Orf, Dubon, Hiura, Arcia, Villar, Miller, Saladino, and Perez on the 40 man? Seems like a lot of players for a few positions especially with a lot of these players have positional versatility.

Remove: Miley, Perez, Orf, Wilkerson, Ascher

Add: Ortiz, Supak, Gatewood, Medeiros, Devin Williams, (Keston after Super 2 status)

On the books yes, but only $4M (buyout of his $15M option)

He's actually on the books through 2031, with 10 years of deferred salary.

Ah. So we will have our very own Bobby Bonilla.

Right, he is relevantly on the books through 2020 though. $4 million buyout and the small amounts of deferred salary aren't really going to impact anything. I'm moreso referring to those big $20 million numbers.

Archived