Brewer Fanatic

Joakim Soria to the Brewers, Medeiros and Perez (not Hernan) to White Sox

JDBrewCrew
I’m not sure why I keep reading on here the Medeiros is a bust but I think it’s completely wrong.

If the Brewers are to have any chance, don't they have to get more than 1 1/2 years of a major league relief pitcher out of a first round? They passed on Trea Turner, Justus Sheffield, Matt Chapman, Jack Flaherty and Sean Newcomb to get Kodi.

If Turang or Huira turn out to only be pieces that are flipped for a mid-30s reliever, I would say they were busts, too.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Easy way to get him to want to be here next season. Win.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Soria has a mutual option, NOT a club option; therefore he’s a rental. He will easily get more than 10 million guaranteed if he is a free agent after 2018, so he’ll decline the option

I've seen multiple sources list that option as a team option, not a mutual option...

Cot's and other sources have it as a mutual option, unfortunately

That makes less excited about the deal, but Medeiros had little to no value for us at this point given his control issues still not improving and the upcoming 40-man crunch

Meh. I would not want the Brewers to spend $10M, about 10% of their current payroll, on a reliever anyways (closer or not). I feel like Stearns wouldn't want to do that either, or at least I hope not.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Community Moderator
The "pitcher changed his arm slot and now he's pitching great" stories are as common as spring training "he's in the best shape of his life" stories.

Sure, except the former can be examined quantitatively. If the sample remains too small, then fair enough.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Soria was in Los Angeles with the White Sox, so I have to assume they can get him to San Francisco fairly quickly?

Not Soria-specific question. The CBA allows 72 hours to report. Has any player ever taken close to that long to report when it is a trade to a contending team?

Soria was in Los Angeles with the White Sox, so I have to assume they can get him to San Francisco fairly quickly?

Not Soria-specific question. The CBA allows 72 hours to report. Has any player ever taken close to that long to report when it is a trade to a contending team?

Didn't Swarzack take a long time last year? Someone traded to the Brewers in the last few seasons did I remember.

Bingo. Winning with 10 million other reasons to stay.

It's all about the money. If we win the World Series and his agent tells him his FA market should be about 2 years, 25M, he'll walk.

I've seen multiple sources list that option as a team option, not a mutual option...

Cot's and other sources have it as a mutual option, unfortunately

That makes less excited about the deal, but Medeiros had little to no value for us at this point given his control issues still not improving and the upcoming 40-man crunch

Meh. I would not want the Brewers to spend $10M, about 10% of their current payroll, on a reliever anyways (closer or not). I feel like Stearns wouldn't want to do that either, or at least I hope not.

I guess the money coming over is for this year then?....

I wouldn't have an issue with paying Soria $10M for 2019, as it is a one year deal. Can trade him at the deadline if we are out of it. That would basically max out the payroll for next year though.

Is it disappointing that Medieros is never going to be that dominant lefty starter in the Brewers' rotation? Yeah, maybe. But calling him a bust because he's never going to do that is perhaps the wrong word to use.

Right. I mean the Brewers will not break him through but he very well could as a White Sox player. He has a great opportunity now to actually push through to a major league career if he continues to do what he’s been doing. That’s not a bust it’s just using your resources. He wasn’t going to get that opportunity here. Too many in front of him.

I would never have said never in that case.

Maybe he would have ended up a Hader/Andrew Miller-esque relief ace. Maybe he'd have been a closer to replace Knebel. Maybe he does dominate in the rotation.

Honestly, you never know. Maybe the Brewers "sell" Guerra high over the off-season (I consider him a prime candidate to do so at this point). Perhaps Nelson walks as a free agent a year later.

You never can tell who makes it, or who doesn't.

The Milwaukee Brewers that I know and love are not picking up a $10M option on what will then be a 35 year old reliever.

Right. Let a deep pockets team spend that kind of money on a reliever. That's not were the Brewers should be spending that kind of money and I believe Moneyball thinking also states not to spend a lot on relievers.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Verified Member
Please.... We knew coming in he'd be a project; the dude is 22 and he has no value. Just stop.

So please tell me, is Medeiros on our opening day roster next year, or who else are you willing to cut loose to give him a 40-man spot?

We don't get to just develop these guys forever and wait for a miracle to happen, that's not how it works.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Bingo. Winning with 10 million other reasons to stay.

It's all about the money. If we win the World Series and his agent tells him his FA market should be about 2 years, 25M, he'll walk.

I'd be ok with that. In fact, that would be pretty great.

Didn't Swarzack take a long time last year? Someone traded to the Brewers in the last few seasons did I remember.

No, he reported the day after finalized.

Edit: Looks like traded on Tuesday (unclear when medicals were finalized) and in uniform on Thursday (clear). So maybe could have been a day quicker. Maybe.

I’m not sure why I keep reading on here the Medeiros is a bust but I think it’s completely wrong.

If the Brewers are to have any chance, don't they have to get more than 1 1/2 years of a major league relief pitcher out of a first round? They passed on Trea Turner, Justus Sheffield, Matt Chapman, Jack Flaherty and Sean Newcomb to get Kodi.

If Turang or Huira turn out to only be pieces that are flipped for a mid-30s reliever, I would say they were busts, too.

But the story isn’t over. He will now get a real opportunity if he continues to pitch well for the Sox. Maybe his value isn’t what you would want it to be from a former first rounder today, but the story isn’t nealy over. So bust just doesn’t make sense to me really.

But to answer question. My answer is no. The Brewers are doing a very nice job building a major league team ready to compete this year and upcoming years as well as stock some very nice talent in the minor league system. Major league talent comes from a lot of different avenues, first round selections being only one of them.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

One year ago this week I was in Washington for the series with the Nats and even the Nats fans were asking me "when is your new pitcher (Swarzack) getting here? Reagan National is a major airport"

They passed on Trea Turner, Justus Sheffield, Matt Chapman, Jack Flaherty and Sean Newcomb to get Kodi.

That was under the Melvin regime - there's a whole new team in place now.

Understood. And I'm not blaming Stearns for moving the guy. I'm lamenting that the Brewers organization either didn't draft the right guy, or their development system failed to get the most out of him.

That draft in particular is littered with guys who have or will flame out, but if my favorite team picks 12th, then I expect that he'll end up providing more value than the guys at 13th and later. And in this case, as with many, they didn't.

I guess the money coming over is for this year then?....

The money was always for this year no matter what. They get it at the time of the trade.

Also, I doubt it has anything to do with the option year, I'm sure it was to round off the deal and won't be whole lot.

I don't know about the "easily" part. In terms of relief pitchers going into their 35+ year-old season last winter, only Pat Neshek got $10+ million guaranteed (and so far the Phillies have gotten 8 innings out of him). Matt Albers only got $5 million. For the most part, teams have turned off the tap for older relievers.

Also have to think that if Soria thinks he'll be pitching beyond 2019 that there's no way he's getting AAV of more than $10 million next year, so it might make sense to pitch out the current contract and then try to cash in again.

You are probably correct about AAV, but Swarzak got 2/14 at age 32, Cishek got 2yrs/13.5 at 32, Tommy Hunter got 2yrs/18 at 32, so he can probably get a better gaurantee

The Milwaukee Brewers that I know and love are not picking up a $10M option on what will then be a 35 year old reliever.

Right. Let a deep pockets team spend that kind of money on a reliever. That's not were the Brewers should be spending that kind of money and I believe Moneyball thinking also states not to spend a lot on relievers.

Unfortunately that makes the deal Kodi+ for a straight up reliever rental which is less than enthralling.

I was okay giving up Cordell for one last year, I'm a lot less enthused about giving up a pitcher with the upside of Medeiros. Especially with how barren we now are on the farm for lefty arms. There is just nothing now. Not that I think the return is unfair but I would have rather given up someone like Diplan, Ponce or Brown.

Archived