Brewer Fanatic

Joakim Soria to the Brewers, Medeiros and Perez (not Hernan) to White Sox

JDBrewCrew
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's hard (for me) to find fault with this trade.

A quick glance at Baseball reference shows that Soria has a career ERA of 2.84, has a good K/BB ratio, doesn't give up a ton of home runs and has been outstanding this season. Add in that he's likely not "just a rental" (with the team option and the fact that the Sox are sending cash along with him) and that makes him an even more appealing acquisition.

As for the cost, well, Madeiros is a good (long-term) acquisition for the Sox but the Brewers have several young starters ranked ahead of him (in the minors as well as already at the MLB level) so, while the cost isn't cheap, they could afford to take the chance and part with him.

My apologies if anyone has already speculated this, but I was talking this over with a friend at work and the thought occurred to me - what if the person he's actually going to replace in the bullpen is actually Corbin Burnes? It seems highly likely that the price for a starting pitcher on the trade market is extremely high, perhaps higher than Stearns is willing to pay, and Counsell stated this week that Burnes will enter Spring Training next year as a starter. Is it possible that Burnes will be given a shot in the rotation now, and remaining trade chips used on a bat? I wouldn't mind seeing that, if you can't get a good starter for a reasonable price...

Counsell has said they have no plans moving him into the rotation...but who knows.

So essentially we dealt Medeiros and a lottery ticket for a year and a half of Soria, cash and they guy that we now get to protect in the rule 5 draft? Makes sense to me.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Stearns just lost some of that unlimited amount of rope...as far as I'm concerned. Medeiros is so much more valuable than what the Athletics gave up for Familia.

There are at least 7 or 8 starting pitcher prospects in our system or majors right now that would be ahead of Medeiros at this point (Peralta, Diplan, Ortiz, Woodruff, Burnes, Ponce, Supak, Brown) Not including guys like Davies or Guerra who still have a lot of team control left. And to add to that, Medeiros would have had to be added to the 40 man roster this offseason or risk losing him for nothing. This year was also the first time he was having any success in the minors at any level.

Community Moderator
Highly recommend reading this Baseball Prospectus article from this morning on Joakim Soria...

Rubbing Mud: Joakim Soria, Slider Monster

I am quoting this again because I really think this article is worth reading to get a sense of what type of pitcher Soria is at this moment in time.

Also, I had modest hopes for what Medeiros could develop into, but I think strengthening the bullpen is a good move for the next two years.

In any given playoff series I believe the team with the better bullpen has a distinct advantage. In the case of the Brewers I think relying on an elite bullpen could help neutralize the disadvantage of lacking a top of the rotation starter.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Another reminder how the Brewers struggle to turn first round draft picks into star players.

I'm glad they could flip Kodi for Soria. I just wish they would get more out of those high picks.

The individuals responsible for making the draft picks have changed since Kodi was selected, if that is any consolation.

Soria has a mutual option, NOT a club option; therefore he’s a rental. He will easily get more than 10 million guaranteed if he is a free agent after 2018, so he’ll decline the option

I've seen multiple sources list that option as a team option, not a mutual option...

I don't have a huge problem with the price and when it comes to draft picks I really really don't care where the value comes from. Laporta netting us Sabithia being a good example of trading at high value. With pitching prospects I'm even more willing to make deals. Any pitching prospect is automatically higher risk and in this case we traded pitching for pitching. There is something to be said for maintaining internal depth to have options to churn through as well while you try and find pitchers that work, but it is a solid move to add another lockdown arm.

I’m not sure why I keep reading on here the Medeiros is a bust but I think it’s completely wrong.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If the brewers move Burnes back to the rotation I like this move even more. With Albers returning you have Knebel, Soria, Hader and Albers. That should free up Burnes to start

I see that as Plan B. Pretty clear Stearns is still very active in the SP market, so they could add a SP via trade.

Also, I see some people talking about sending Burnes down to get stretched out. No way! Not at this point in the season. If they do move him into the rotation, no need to send him down. Just start off with 4 innings or so the first couple starts. Heck, most starts are only 5+ innings anyhow for this team, so not a big deal.

Verified Member
Soria has a mutual option, NOT a club option; therefore he’s a rental. He will easily get more than 10 million guaranteed if he is a free agent after 2018, so he’ll decline the option

I've seen multiple sources list that option as a team option, not a mutual option...

Cot's and other sources have it as a mutual option, unfortunately

That makes less excited about the deal, but Medeiros had little to no value for us at this point given his control issues still not improving and the upcoming 40-man crunch

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I’m not sure why I keep reading on here the Medeiros is a bust but I think it’s completely wrong.

I agree. To me, "bust" means a high draft pick that amounts to no value whatsoever. Brewers have had plenty of those over the years. Clint Coulter is on his way there currently.

Is it disappointing that Medieros is never going to be that dominant lefty starter in the Brewers' rotation? Yeah, maybe. But calling him a bust because he's never going to do that is perhaps the wrong word to use.

The "pitcher changed his arm slot and now he's pitching great" stories are as common as spring training "he's in the best shape of his life" stories.

I certainly hope Soria pitches great for the rest of the season but I'm not going to pop any champagne corks over a recent 22 inning stretch.

I agree. To me, "bust" means a high draft pick that amounts to no value whatsoever. Brewers have had plenty of those over the years. Clint Coulter is on his way there currently.

Is it disappointing that Medieros is never going to be that dominant lefty starter in the Brewers' rotation? Yeah, maybe. But calling him a bust because he's never going to do that is perhaps the wrong word to use.

Right. I mean the Brewers will not break him through but he very well could as a White Sox player. He has a great opportunity now to actually push through to a major league career if he continues to do what he’s been doing. That’s not a bust it’s just using your resources. He wasn’t going to get that opportunity here. Too many in front of him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't know about the "easily" part. In terms of relief pitchers going into their 35+ year-old season last winter, only Pat Neshek got $10+ million guaranteed (and so far the Phillies have gotten 8 innings out of him). Matt Albers only got $5 million. For the most part, teams have turned off the tap for older relievers.

Also have to think that if Soria thinks he'll be pitching beyond 2019 that there's no way he's getting AAV of more than $10 million next year, so it might make sense to pitch out the current contract and then try to cash in again.

Cot's and other sources have it as a mutual option, unfortunately

That makes less excited about the deal, but Medeiros had little to no value for us at this point given his control issues still not improving and the upcoming 40-man crunch

Please.... We knew coming in he'd be a project; the dude is 22 and he has no value. Just stop.

Archived