Brewer Fanatic

Joakim Soria to the Brewers, Medeiros and Perez (not Hernan) to White Sox

JDBrewCrew
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You would have to assume by paying the price of Medeiros that the Brewers are pretty committed to picking up that option. It's not like the Brewers have a ton of money tied up next year anyway. Mark will pay for a winner.

If they view Kodi as a future reliever then I'm perfectly fine with this. Gotta deal with the 40-man roster situation somehow.

Soria has been great this year, giving any high leverage innings Barnes or Williams would have to him is a big improvement. That he has a team option (albeit an expensive one) for 2019 is what makes the deal really worth it IMO.

Wow, really hate giving up Kodi for what is essentially a rental or very expensive reliever next season.

Hate to see Kodi go, but Joakim has been the 12 best reliever in MLB since the start of last season per FanGraphs. 10 million is not very expensive at all for that kind of production.

This is a good trade. If you're really upset about losing Medeiros you should probably not follow the trade deadline lol.

It's disappointing that a first round pick didn't really work out, but dude is a future reliever and is one of those guys who needed to be added to the 40 man this year. I'm not too torn up about it. Soria should help the team quite a bit this year.

I have to imagine they'll decline his option though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I liked Medieros, but you have to give talent to get it. Soria has been lights-out this season, and is controllable next year (albeit on a pretty hefty option).

I guess they are committed to bullpenning. Will be interesting to see if they add to the rotation. This isn't quite an all-in move, but it is bigger than the Swarzak move last year in my estimation.

Love the deal. A bullpen of Albers Soria Hader Jeffress Knebel Williams Burnes Lopez is fantastic heading into the postseason.

Imagine this for a possible wild card game: Hader 1st-3rd, Jeffress 4th-5th, Burnes 6th-7th, Soria 8th, Knebel 9th... It won't happen but that might be our best shot.

This is a good trade. If you're really upset about losing Medeiros you should probably not follow the trade deadline lol.

It's disappointing that a first round pick didn't really work out, but dude is a future reliever and is one of those guys who needed to be added to the 40 man this year. I'm not too torn up about it. Soria should help the team quite a bit this year.

I have to imagine they'll decline his option though.

This. If losing Medieros for a light-out reliever makes you mad, I imagine the next few days are gonna suck for you.

The cost for relievers in FA is very high. It's only a one year commitment for 2019 for a quality back end arm. If Albers returns strong, Brewers have the ability to lock down opponents from the 7th inning on, and not just every other day when certain guys are rested.

Yikes saw a future as a high leverage reliever for Kodi. Thats another botched first rounder.

How in the world is that a botched first rounder? He had tons of talent, was putting it together this year, and they leveraged that into a reliever with a ton of value and future control. I don't know if you understand how this works.

It's tough to lose Kodi since we've been following him for so long, but I think a fan of any other team would say this trade was worth it. If we were the ones getting Medieros we would probably be saying how unlikely it would be that he reaches his potential, etc.

Medeiros would've been difficult to get on the 40 man this offseason, and if the White Sox threw enough $ the Brewers way that 2019 option on Soria wouldn't be bad at all to pick up. I like the trade, as it upgrades their 2018 pen and probably gives them an affordable option to solidify it for 2019, too.

Wishing Kodi the best - writing was sort of on the wall that he wasn't developing fast enough to have a MLB future with the Brewers.

Medeiros would've been difficult to get on the 40 man this offseason, .

I think that's pretty much all you had to say. Good trade.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The main reason I dislike this deal as much as I do is specifically Kodi, I've grown very fond of him and have enjoyed watching him develop. I really think he's underrated and would have preferred giving up a slightly higher ranked prospect like Brown. If they sent enough money back in the deal, it's probably a reasonable deal on it's face. I just wish it were someone else we gave up.

Archived