Brewer Fanatic

Joakim Soria to the Brewers, Medeiros and Perez (not Hernan) to White Sox

JDBrewCrew
Well, judging by the market last offseason, $10M could get you a Moustakas-type player for a year and leave $4.5M in change to get a Matt Albers or Tony Watson or Dan Jennings type of reliever.

I don't foresee the market changing drastically - except for the premier free agents, a la Machado, etc. - so $10M could plug a few holes. It could easily hold down 2B for a year until Hiura is ready.

That's not how much a Moustakas-type players costs. Moustakas will likely get $80+ million plus this offseason.

Just because the market for 3B will be better?! Moustakas didn't have anything close to that type of offer last offseason, did he?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Being tied to the loss of a draft pick for turning down the qualifying offer hurt Moustakas’ value. I also thought that there were reportedly some okay offers early in the off-season and those teams eventually went in other directions (this could be wrong). I don’t think he’ll get $80 million, but also don’t think it will be a repeat of this past off-season.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Being tied to the loss of a draft pick for turning down the qualifying offer hurt Moustakas’ value. I also thought that there were reportedly some decent offers early in the off-season and those teams eventually went in other directions. I don’t think he’ll get $80 million, but also don’t think it will be a repeat of this past off-season.

Hard to say..

Which big market teams will be looking for a 3B?

Which mid-market teams will be looking for a 3B??

How many of the big & mid markets teams already have established guys in place already or top prospect ready to take over???

Will teams like St. Louis or Baltimore be looking to spend money for guys that are 'compete now' as they have other weaknesses & holes on the team to deal with??

I grant you Boras & Moose mis-read the market last season & this time around they won't have to worry about the QO but I don't think it is cut & dried that Moose gets 4 or more years or $80M+ in contract value...

• 2 weeks later...

Replying to a post in yesterday's IGT, I found this info of Soria's pitch type from Fangraphs:

_____________FB%_____SL%_____CB%______CH%

White Sox____63.1______9.8_______9.5______17.6

Brewers______74.5_____14.5_______0.9______10.0

Visually, it did seem to me he has been mostly throwing fastballs with the Brewers and few sliders, but the numbers indicate he has been throwing the slider plenty, but he has dramatically cut down on curveballs and changeups. While the numbers are small for his Brewer time, he seems to be struggling a bit with his offspead pitches which might be part of the reason his FIP has doubled with the Brewers and his ERA- is way down (of course 1 bad outing is amplified in the small sample size)... There still is a shift in his pitch usage.....

Replying to a post in yesterday's IGT, I found this info of Soria's pitch type from Fangraphs:

_____________FB%_____SL%_____CB%______CH%

White Sox____63.1______9.8_______9.5______17.6

Brewers______74.5_____14.5_______0.9______10.0

Visually, it did seem to me he has been mostly throwing fastballs with the Brewers and few sliders, but the numbers indicate he has been throwing the slider plenty, but he has dramatically cut down on curveballs and changeups. While the numbers are small for his Brewer time, he seems to be struggling a bit with his offspead pitches which might be part of the reason his FIP has doubled with the Brewers and his ERA- is way down (of course 1 bad outing is amplified in the small sample size)... There still is a shift in his pitch usage.....

Might be a bit of a small sample thing or yeah, maybe the curve isn't right right now.

The Brewers have reinvented several pitchers by cutting their fastball rates way down (Miley, Jeffress) so I feel like Soria will fall in line there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived