Brewer Fanatic

Zach Wheeler

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well someone will have to likely be traded in the winter if we get a controllable guy. So some of the prospect loss would likely be recouped. I assume...at least that’s what I would do if I was in charge in the event a controllable starter is acquired.

Looks like the Mets want Ray for Wheeler

I'm kinda okay with that. I have a feeling he'll have contact issues as he moves up ala Phillips and Brinson.

I'd hold my nose but I think I'd do it too.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I'm kinda okay with that. I have a feeling he'll have contact issues as he moves up ala Phillips and Brinson.

I kinda agree with this. I originally didn't think it would cost Ray to get Wheeler if they traded multiple guys in the 6-15 range of their system, but I'm actually ok with moving Ray for Wheeler after giving it more thought.

As you point out, he has hit tool concerns.

If Cain can stay in CF for the next 2-3 seasons, it's not all that difficult to find corner outfielders for a reasonable price on the trade market or free agency.

Yes it looks like Ray is finally hitting his stride, but almost everyone on this board would have made this trade before the season started. I think selling high on Ray right now would be a great move, especially if it lands us a (somewhat) controllable pitcher.

If he is another mid rotation guy then I would say no to Ray unless they threw something else in. But if they think he can be more of a #2 who can go deeper into games for the next 1+ seasons then it is probably worth it as I would guess there is a comp pick after that. It's taking a big chance, if Ray finishes off his good season he could be used as the headliner in a bigger deal this off season like deGrom. I guess I would rather get Harvey and keep the prospects for now, revisit in the offseason where we are at with starters. We just doubled down on the bullpen and I thought that meant they probably wouldn't go after a controllable starter. But I trust Stearns will make the right moves, should be an interesting couple of days.

I'm very hesitant to move our top prospects (I'd have Ray at #3 behind Burnes and Hiura at this point) for little over one year of team control. If a deal has to include one of the top guys, then it needs to be for more years. And it wouldn't be only Ray of course, I can't see them making that trade without including an advanced pitching prospect.

Knowing the Mets, that likely means the asking price for Wheeler is something like:

1B-Jesus Aguilar

2B-Keston Hiura

RHP-Corbin Burnes

RHP-Freddy Peralta

OF-Corey Ray

And they will include Wilmer Flores along with Wheeler to make the Brewers feel like they got a real bargain.

If that's the asking price, counter with:

1B-Ryan Braun

2B-Eric Sogard

LHP-Wade Miley

RHP-Tim Dillard

OF-Keon Broxton

and tell them that they can keep Wilmer Flores, to make the Mets feel like they got a real bargain.

Dim Tillard is a dealbreaker. Would seriously hurt our social media game. I would only ever make that move if we had a trade for Brandon McCarthy or Sean Doolittle (And their wives) lined up.

Where are you seeing that? That's a pretty steep ask for a SP with 1+ years of control having his best year.

From the guy that broke the Moose trade

I'm not trying to stir the pot just for the sake of it, but do we actually know that this Twitter account actually broke anything? Or is it possible he/she got lucky on a guess that the Moustakas deal would happen?

Just saying... if HH had gotten anything right, loads of people would've assumed he had a legit source when really he had nothing.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If they barely use him in the pen is it really that likely they are going to move him to the rotation? If he was so dependable in their eyes you’d think he would see the field more.

Well I can understand moving him to the pen when we had six starters.

But now that Suter is done (and Albers is supposedly back), I would definitely move him back to AAA to get stretched out. Bring back Houser/Wilkerson/Asher to eat innings in lopsided games. Woodruff and Burnes to be ready for when Peralta hits innings limit and/or another starter gets injured.

If everyone stays healthy, now Burnes has experience coming out of the bullpen and he will be that much better for it when he does that in September.

I'm not trying to stir the pot just for the sake of it, but do we actually know that this Twitter account actually broke anything? Or is it possible he/she got lucky on a guess that the Moustakas deal would happen?

Just saying... if HH had gotten anything right, loads of people would've assumed he had a legit source when really he had nothing.

This guy called the exact deal about 3 hours before anyone else. Lopez + Phillips for Moose. Phillips is a logical fit, but Lopez is far less logical and that leads me to think his info was legit in this case. My guess would be he has a buddy working in the front office somewhere. That said, I'm sure the Brewers have caught wind and intend to plug that leak very quickly.

Couldn't the guy in question have gotten it from the Royals side? Which wouldn't say anything about his reliability in Brewers trades in general.

Well he spent most of his afternoon live-tweeting the Packers training camp practice, so I tend to think his story about knowing someone in the Brewers org is more likely. Josh (agent39) warned him that the Brewers are pretty quick to snuff that kind of stuff out, so he may be a one-hit wonder. Doesn't strike me quite as the HH19 attention-diva.

Gruber Lawffices

I don’t know if I’d sell either if I was the Mets. Go get bats in the offseason and compete next year.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don’t know if I’d sell either if I was the Mets. Go get bats in the offseason and compete next year.

I agree, you have two legit aces when healthy controlled for several years. Good secondary starters in Matz/Wheeler. Get a new manager and give it a shot. There's no reason they shouldn't be better. Though isn't it the same ownership group that lost all their money, so they really can't just spend to fix the offense (even though that's usually a losing route anyway)? Although, Tebow should be ready next year.

Mets and Miami should've merged teams last offseason. Marlins O and Mets pitching.

Again, similar to the Royals tweets, this could just be GM-speak. The GMs are going to say this stuff unless they're blown away with an offer. There's a good chance that neither the Royals nor the Mets deal their remaining pieces but they're going to say this no matter what.

Either team could trade those guys in the offseason. The Mets, while I don't necessarily agree with it, could also rebuild for next year. It wouldn't be the most insane thing as they probably could put together a good team with deGrom, Wheeler, Thor, Matz, and some spending on supporting cast. Too big of a hill to climb most likely as we've seen how atrocious the rest of their current roster is, but it could be done.

I don't blame them either. Degrom or Syndergaard you would need to be blown away, and if they're asking for Ray for Wheeler, that's about right. If Brewers don't pull the trigger, oh well, they keep Wheeler for another year and can always trade him at the deadline next year if they want.

Being a NY team, I think we just hear every little rumor. They're smart to take calls on any of their players, why wouldn't you? Doesn't mean they're actively trying to trade any of them.

Archived