Brewer Fanatic

Zach Wheeler

That's a lot of 2B competition for a market that I was told didn't exist.

I don't know where Cabrera would play for the Braves given Camargo and Albies are both having really good seasons.

Phillies actually need a SS. Fanco and Hernandez have been solid. If they want cabrera to come in and play SS for them I say more power to them.

Red sox weren't mentioned and they theoretically have a need too.

Dozier and Cabrera will definitely be moved. Throw Moustakas in that group since Phillies and Braves could theoretically be interested in a third baseman as well. Daniel Murphy might be available too, especially once we get to August. Scooter and Castro are guys who might get moved too.

There's enough of a pool of available guys that the Brewers will get someone. That return for Escobar has some upside, but it's nothing that would have a long term impact on the organization.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ol HH19 is claiming the Brewers are about to acquire Cabrera and Wheeler, and that Ortiz is in the package. If that doesn't happen in the next 24 hours...further proof that he's full of it

Juuuuuust a bit outside!

Guerra

Glossary

Split W L W-L%ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO9 SO/W

2018 Totals 6 6 .500 3.13 19 19 0 0 0 0 103.2 90 40 36 12 41 0 100 4 0 5 439 1.264 8.7 2.4

Wheeler

Glossary

Split W L W-L%ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO9 SO/W

2018 Totals 4 6 .400 4.33 19 19 0 0 0 0 114.1 108 57 55 11 41 0 109 4 1 0 484 1.303 8.6 2.66

Pretty close to me

shouldn't there be a concern on Wheeler's innings? 2 year 0IP 86.1 ip last season. At 114.1 now. I get that he pitched 185 way back in 2014. But his injury history and near 30IP above last season leave me to question him for his next 50-60IP. Funny BRef puts a Shaun Marcum comp to him at this age. As I recall Marcum was on flames during the postseason in 2011. I'd think Wheeler is going to be on flames like Peralta by the end of August. Or in other words, you making a mistake acquiring Wheeler now vs this offseason.

Ol HH19 is claiming the Brewers are about to acquire Cabrera and Wheeler, and that Ortiz is in the package. If that doesn't happen in the next 24 hours...further proof that he's full of it

I didn't realize that we needed further proof, but there it is.

It's very clear why Baltimore and NY Mets pitchers have broad appeal to the Brewers. Going into play today, The Brewers rank 1st in defensive runs saved at +85. The Orioles rank dead last at -83 and the Mets rank 28th at -70. That's a 168 run swing for O's pitchers if they had pitched with the Brewers defense behind them and a 155 run swing for Mets' pitchers. Good enough for shaving about 1.50 off any pitcher's ERA. I would guess there is varying level of interest depending on price, medicals, and scouting reports from the Brewers in Wheeler, deGrom, Matz, Syndergaard, Bundy, Gausman, and Cashner.

Combining O's and Mets starters who could dramatically benefit from throwing the exact same pitches in Milwaukee as opposed to their current locale without changing a thing other than uniform - that's 7 options for Stearns to pick the one that combines best stuff with acquisition cost. And that's without accounting for what Derek Johnson could potentially tweak with any one of them. With so many scenarios to pick from, I have to guess one of those 7 is a Brewer soon. I would imagine it would be one of them who won't require emptying the farm (cough, cough deGrom) but you never know.

I’ve been watching some of the Mets-Pirates game this afternoon and Wheeler looks like someone who could help the Brewers without being as expensive as some bigger name pitchers.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I've been on the Wheeler koolaid the past week or so. I hope it happens.

Before we traded for Wheeler, i'd rather Stearns/Counsell simply tried Burnes in the rotation.

Nope, they want their strong bullpen and I agree with them. Get a solid starter to hold down the fort.

Before we traded for Wheeler, i'd rather Stearns/Counsell simply tried Burnes in the rotation.

Nope, they want their strong bullpen and I agree with them. Get a solid starter to hold down the fort.

Putting Burnes in the rotation isn't going to keep them from having a strong bullpen. Just got Albers back, just traded for Soria, already got Hader, Jeffress and Knebel. Pretty loaded with or without Burnes.

Burnes is no assurance to be stable in the rotation and I’m not sure how we try him in the rotation in the next two days.

They just need to go out and get a solid starter. It would be great if they were more midrotation and not backend...but we can’t depend on Miley and whoever wil leventually take the spot of Peralta.

The pen is fine without Burnes, but it is even better with him. In a pen spot you know he can make a great impact. It’s pointless to argue as it is clear it isn’t happening.

Just like this year, they'll need ~10 SP to get through the season.

Adding Wheeler helps restore the depth this season and next since we know Suter is likely down till 2020.

Jennings/Williams/Albers/Jeffress/Hader/Soria/Knebel

That's seven deep

Burnes has thrown a grand total of seven innings this month and that was before adding Soria and Albers coming back.

Put Burnes in the rotation and call up Woodruff to be the 2-3 inning guy when needed because we have plenty of depth in the bullpen without him given Soria and Albers are now in the mix.

Why sell off more prospects to get a starter who very well wouldn't be better than Burnes, only to have him sitting in the bullpen five out of every seven games?

Knowing the Mets, that likely means the asking price for Wheeler is something like:

1B-Jesus Aguilar

2B-Keston Hiura

RHP-Corbin Burnes

RHP-Freddy Peralta

OF-Corey Ray

And they will include Wilmer Flores along with Wheeler to make the Brewers feel like they got a real bargain.

Knowing the Mets, that likely means the asking price for Wheeler is something like:

1B-Jesus Aguilar

2B-Keston Hiura

RHP-Corbin Burnes

RHP-Freddy Peralta

OF-Corey Ray

And they will include Wilmer Flores along with Wheeler to make the Brewers feel like they got a real bargain.

If that's the asking price, counter with:

1B-Ryan Braun

2B-Eric Sogard

LHP-Wade Miley

RHP-Tim Dillard

OF-Keon Broxton

and tell them that they can keep Wilmer Flores, to make the Mets feel like they got a real bargain.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Burnes is no assurance to be stable in the rotation and I’m not sure how we try him in the rotation in the next two days.

They just need to go out and get a solid starter. It would be great if they were more midrotation and not backend...but we can’t depend on Miley and whoever wil leventually take the spot of Peralta.

The pen is fine without Burnes, but it is even better with him. In a pen spot you know he can make a great impact. It’s pointless to argue as it is clear it isn’t happening.

Another good reliever could be picked up in August for peanuts. Give Burnes a shot. He struggles, then move him to the pen in September.

Another good reliever could be picked up in August for peanuts. Give Burnes a shot. He struggles, then move him to the pen in September.

Well it ain’t happening so might as well move onto a new idea. I’m guessing the Brewers are going to stick to their word unless multiple starters start dropping like flies.

Burnes in the rotation is a solid recommendation to strengthen the rotation, but it’s pretty clear that isn’t an option in the Brewers mind.

There are no assurances either way. Burnes isn't assured to continue to be stable in the pen, and any starter acquired isn't assured to be better than Burnes would be.

What solid starter are you suggesting they go get? The best rental SPs weren't even good ones and are gone. Guys like Archer will cost the farm, guys like Wheeler and Gausman will cost more than you think.

You could probably go get a solid guy like Xavier Cedeno or Jared Hughes for a lot less than the SP you want and move Burnes. I disagree that it's pointless to discuss and clear to not happen. If they don't add a SP by the deadline I think its definitely going to be considered. It was never stated that he definitely isn't returning to starting this year.

If they barely use him in the pen is it really that likely they are going to move him to the rotation? If he was so dependable in their eyes you’d think he would see the field more.

Regardless it just doesn’t make a ton of sense and incredibly unlikely. If there was a chance I doubt they would have ever move him to the pen in the minors and then promote him to the MLB level. If they wanted him to start he would probably already be in the rotation, would he not?

It’s an extreme stretch in my opinion. Wouldn’t mind if it happened, but everything points to the Brewers have no interest in doing so.

Archived