Brewer Fanatic

Zach Wheeler

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure it's all that light. Cabrera really doesn't have much trade value. Ortiz is probably the best prospect they'd need to give up. They'd probably have to do better on the next piece than Grisham though. More likely some one like Phillips. Just my guess.

If it is light, who do you subtract and add to make the deal? I was just trying to gauge what the value would be for this package. I mean, all three of those players are in our top 30 prospects. If it is much more expensive, maybe we just try to nab Cabrera and call it a day.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Is Wheeler better than what we already have? Whose spot in the rotation would he take? I sort of hope we shoot for a #1 SP or stand pat with what we have.

3.65 DRA, 3.68 FIP in 114.1 innings. Good k% and average bb%. I think he is at the very least useful and best case might be their best starter.

Probably take Peralta's spot in the immediate future.

Losing Suter till likely 2020 hurts the rotation depth. Davies and Nelson don't have a time line for return. Nelson's future is very much in question with that shredded shoulder. I think it makes a lot of sense to add Wheeler.

Is Wheeler better than what we already have? Whose spot in the rotation would he take? I sort of hope we shoot for a #1 SP or stand pat with what we have.

I think the Brewers would prefer that, too, but there has to be a #1 available, which may not be the case right now.

Last year, the Brewers got a lousy break, losing Nelson too late in the year to deal for a replacement - I don't expect Stearns to get a guy, just because he's a pitcher, but I also doubt he's willing to risk a lack of depth in the rotation again. Suter is gone, Davies is a maybe, Miley has had health issues this year, and Guerra recently went down .... I don't care to see Jeremy Jeffress start a game in September again.

I would pencil Wheeler in at #4

1. Chacin

2. Anderson

3. Guerra

4. Wheeler

5. Peralta/Miley

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If it is light, who do you subtract and add to make the deal? I was just trying to gauge what the value would be for this package. I mean, all three of those players are in our top 30 prospects. If it is much more expensive, maybe we just try to nab Cabrera and call it a day.

Maybe Stokes over Grisham? Maybe even Lutz.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I think the Brewers would prefer that, too, but there has to be a #1 available, which may not be the case right now.

Last year, the Brewers got a lousy break, losing Nelson too late in the year to deal for a replacement - I don't expect Stearns to get a guy, just because he's a pitcher, but I also doubt he's willing to risk a lack of depth in the rotation again. Suter is gone, Davies is a maybe, Miley has had health issues this year, and Guerra recently went down .... I don't care to see Jeremy Jeffress start a game in September again.

It "feels" like a lateral move to me. Couldn't we insert Woodruff into the rotation and give us similar production to what Wheeler could? I I wish the club would give some of our younger guys more of a chance than what they are getting.

It "feels" like a lateral move to me. Couldn't we insert Woodruff into the rotation and give us similar production to what Wheeler could? I I wish the club would give some of our younger guys more of a chance than what they are getting.

Well they could just insert Woodruff into the rotation if a need arises, but if Nelson and Davies don't pitch in 2018 their depth is razor thin right now.

Basically Woodruff and Wilkerson. If Peralta starts to struggle or hits an innings limit then you're down to Aaron Wilkerson, Jorge Lopez, and Adrian Houser once Woodruff enters the rotation.

Well they could just insert Woodruff into the rotation if a need arises, but if Nelson and Davies don't pitch in 2018 their depth is razor thin right now.

Basically Woodruff and Wilkerson. If Peralta starts to struggle or hits an innings limit then you're down to Aaron Wilkerson, Jorge Lopez, and Adrian Houser once Woodruff enters the rotation.

No, he would be an upgrade and a big help. Wheeler would instantly have the 2nd best FIP in the rotation (following Peralta), if he's added.

Not to mention, they need the depth help. It appears they have zero intention of letting Burnes start this year. Peralta is going to hit an innings limit and it's not unreasonable to question whether Davies or Nelson will ever contribute this year. Miley is not really any good and even with Woodruff being stretched out, they are still very thin. They are going to need another starter. Any more injuries and you will see Aaron Wilkerson starting in Aug/Sept in the middle of a playoff chase.

They could ramp up Burnes if someone else got hurt.

In fact, I probably would regardless if anyone got hurt, since they acquired Soria. Send him down beginning of August and get him stretched out. Bring him up in three weeks to replace Peralta.

Woodruff remains the #6 option. Wilkerson #7. Houser/Lopez/Asher combo is #8.

Wheeler and Junior basically have the same stats

Junior Guerra - 4.04 FIP, 4.36 xFIP, 80.4%LOB, .277 BABIP

Zach Wheeler - 3.69 FIP, 4.06 xFIP, 69.8% LOB, .304 BABIP

basically they aren't the same.

Woodruff isn't as good as Wheeler

Miley isn't as good as Wheeler

Guerra isn't as good as Wheeler

Anderson isn't as good as Wheeler

Chacin isn't as good as Wheeler

YOU NEED TO LOOK AT ADVANCE STATS

Guerra has a much better ERA, therefore he is better. 'nuff said

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

ewit, those stats imply, with the same defense behind them, Wheeler would outperform Guerra.

The Brewers’ defense has been a huge asset for the pitching staff.

Not exactly because sequencing and luck matters too, but ya I would certainly like to add Wheeler.

Ol HH19 is claiming the Brewers are about to acquire Cabrera and Wheeler, and that Ortiz is in the package. If that doesn't happen in the next 24 hours...further proof that he's full of it

I don't need more proof. Even if it happens in the next 24 hours he's still full of it but people still keep taking the bait.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Archived