Brewer Fanatic

Zach Wheeler

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly feel like anytime someone is mentioned as being available, Stearns calls. He calls on everyone to gauge the market. I'll be severely disappointed if the moves we make include the names Happ or Wheeler.

Honestly feel like anytime someone is mentioned as being available, Stearns calls. He calls on everyone to gauge the market. I'll be severely disappointed if the moves we make include the names Happ or Wheeler.

Just curious because I'm on the opposite side...why don't you want Happ? What starter do you think we should target and can acquire for a reasonable price? (Top 10 org is too much for Happ imo, but i think he makes us better)

Wheeler has been better than you'd think. 3.5 FIP. And don't forget, Peralta is going to get shut down at some point. He's at 104 innings and pitched 120 last year. I would think 150 will be a soft cap...possibly willing to go to 155, so 45-50 innings or probably 6-8 starts max. I'd be surprised if he pitched much if at all in September...and we really shouldn't bank on Nelson or Davies returning.

Happ gives up a ton of home runs. His strikeout numbers are up this year which is good however I don't think it'll continue as the rest of his career has shown a much lower number. If I'm giving up prospects for what's supposed to be a pitcher who's going to lead us. Happ just isn't it for me. I truly think they could be fine in the starting rotation if they can acquire some more hitting. I would go get a proven bat before a pitcher.

Wheeler has a 3.65 DRA and 3.68 FIP. I've convinced myself that I want him.

With Suter needing tommy john surgery that not only affects the rotation depth for this season, but also next season. I think any effective innings from Davies or Nelson this season are a long shot.

He isn't going to cost Ray, Peralta, Burnes, or Huira so I would pull the trigger on this trade.

Honestly feel like most interest by teams in players is just made up by writers so they have something to report. GM's deny it when asked about it anyway.

Phillips/Ortiz and a couple other pieces? The Mets are pretty stupid...

Two top 10 organizational prospects plus more? No thanks.

For a starting pitcher controllable though 2019, that's about what I'd expect the cost to be.

You'd have to put a lot more context around that starting pitcher for me to blindly say I'd give up Phillips and Ortiz. I'm not sure I'd do it for Wheeler.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Honestly feel like most interest by teams in players is just made up by writers so they have something to report. GM's deny it when asked about it anyway.

I agree. I think the Brewers are being lumped in with everyone available because we could use just about anyone available (in their minds). It's just spit-balling.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Last 12 starts 3.54 ERA - He has basically had 3 bad starts this season.

For the season, among pitchers with 150 balls put into play against them, Wheeler allows the fifth lowest exit velocity against him at 84.7 MPH. Since June 1, Wheeler is fourth in that category (among pitchers with 50 balls put into play against them) allowing his average exit velocity to be just 83.4 MPH against him.

Rosenthal saying that the Mets are discussing both Wheeler and Asdrubal Cabrera with the Brewers.

Just to put the tweet out there:

Per Rosenthal: #Mets discussing both Wheeler and Cabrera with #Brewers, sources tell The Athletic. No indication a deal is close. NYM also talking about players separately with other teams. #DBacks one of several on Cabrera, as first noted by @Buster_ESPN.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewers Get: Wheeler & Cabrera

Mets Get: Ortiz, Grisham, Ponce

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived