Brewer Fanatic

Nationals last minute sellers?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Nationals have made Harper available for trade. Just for fun, what would you be willing to give up?

Woodruff , Ray, lottery ticket.

But to be honest that may be too much as this year he has not been good. He definitely has a hot streak in him at some point though.

The Nats would hang up the phone immediately after you said Woodruff..they'd be insulted.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Looks like Nationals have made Harper available for trade. Just for fun, what would you be willing to give up?

But to be honest that may be too much as this year he has not been good. He definitely has a hot streak in him at some point though.

Wow ... adding Harper in RF on an everyday basis would be a pipe dream. He also has several hundred million reasons to get hot as we get into August.

We can't trade the Machado special for him (Ortiz and Phillips), but I'd think about Ortiz and Ray. That would be a huge package for a rental, though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Nats would hang up the phone immediately after you said Woodruff..they'd be insulted.

Yeah, because guys who are in their mid 20s and throw upper 90s gas are insulting. Come on!

Also, GMs don't "hang up on" other GMs. That is just a tired, worn out idea.

Watch the Cubs get him and the Brewers playoff hopes die with it

Sure, Woodruff is crap, but the Cubs are going to be able to put a package together for him?

Theo probably can get away with a rookie baller AND the Nat's cover Harper's airfare , room and board, and 90% his salary remaining this year.

The idea of Yelich Cain and Harper in the OF has me salivating .... lol.

Watch the Cubs get him and the Brewers playoff hopes die with it

Sure, Woodruff is crap, but the Cubs are going to be able to put a package together for him?

For one..the Cubs always seem to get guys for less than what other teams would..for another..if they were willing to move guys like Happ and/or Schwarber + they could probably cobble something together

Stearns has to at least make the call, doesn't he? How can you not?

Sure, but it won’t happen. The price will be crazy...probably Machado level or even more expensive, we don’t really have a spot, and he hasn’t been very good this year.

My interest level is a complete 0% to be honest.

Sure, but it won’t happen. The price will be crazy...probably Machado level or even more expensive, we don’t really have a spot, and he hasn’t been very good this year.

He's Bryce Harper..I bet if it were solely up to Mark A..he'd make sure the deal got done. He couldn't buy the kind of publicity the Brewers would get from acquiring Harper..not to mention every home game the rest of the year would be a sell out.

On a more serious note, if the Nats took Braun and his salary for Harper, what else would you be willing to give up in order to make it happen?
"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Thames for Harper? Too much?

Interesting.

I'm going to reverse-engineer one of JosephC's calculations here. Thames was a 1.4 bWAR/2.1 fWAR last year, so let's call it 1.7 WAR and he's at 1.2 so far this year. Let's say that means an additional 0.5 WAR this year plus two more seasons of 1.7 WAR which comes to 3.9 WAR left on his contract... let's round it to 4 WAR. I think JosephC ballparks a FA WAR at ~$9M, so Thames is worth $36M remaining on his contract. Salaries remaining of about $15.5M so let's call it a surplus of about $20M.

Harper is the hard calculation - he's been all over the board. Both had him at just under 5 WAR last year but only 0.4 bWAR/1.6 fWAR this year - let's call it 1 WAR, and let's say he gets hot and is worth 2 WAR the rest of the way. 2 WAR ~$18M, he's owed ~$9M, so a surplus value of $9M.

So yes, Thames would be an overpay of about $11M. Have WAS throw in a couple of A-ball prospects and I'd make that deal.

Is Gio Gonzalez an upgrade over what we have? I don’t think so.

Gonzalez was excellent in 2017.

In 2018 his numbers look decent on the surface. Then you dig a bit deeper and his 1.45 WHIP sticks out like a sore thumb...

He's Bryce Harper..I bet if it were solely up to Mark A..he'd make sure the deal got done. He couldn't buy the kind of publicity the Brewers would get from acquiring Harper..not to mention every home game the rest of the year would be a sell out.

If it worked that way Machado would be here.

Not much interest in giving anything of value for Harper. If you are going to try to make that kind of splash, go for Realmuto.

In a way the Nats are almost lucky things are going the way they have this year. I think they were very likely to start a pretty fast decline from their peak anyway (age + injury histories + much better competition in the East), but this allows them to cash in on assets while they still can instead of keeping them all for an 87-win season with absolutely nothing to show for it. Harper's season in particular makes it a lot easier to trade him.

Archived