Brewer Fanatic

Nationals last minute sellers?

The Nationals are currently 50-51 and 7 games back in the division(behind 2 teams) and 5.5 games back in the wildcard. They also generally aren't playing all that well and now Strasburg is headed to the DL. Is there any chance the Nationals become last minute sellers? And if so, could Murphy be a realistic target at 2b? Seems crazy to think they'd punt the season in Harper's last year, but it might be the right decision if they lose 2 of the next 3 to the lowly Marlins.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Friend of mine brought up Murphy yesterday as well. I doubt they'll actually sell off instead of remaining all in, but I agree it would probably be the prudent move. Really doubt Harper is back. Trade him and Murphy and you get some minor league infusion. They can still try to win next year, team is still darn good with two ace pitchers when healthy.

Friend of mine brought up Murphy yesterday as well. I doubt they'll actually sell off instead of remaining all in, but I agree it would probably be the prudent move. Really doubt Harper is back. Trade him and Murphy and you get some minor league infusion. They can still try to win next year, team is still darn good with two ace pitchers when healthy.

I tend to agree, they probably should sell but they probably will remain all in. That may change if they lose a few games or if Strasburgs injury is more serious. If they do, Murphy would be an excellent fit.

I'm also curious what Harper could command if traded. He probably could get as much if not more value than Machado.

I tend to agree, they probably should sell but they probably will remain all in. That may change if they lose a few games or if Strasburgs injury is more serious. If they do, Murphy would be an excellent fit.

I'm also curious what Harper could command if traded. He probably could get as much if not more value than Machado.

As a pure rental - Machado has more value

No way they trade anyone of significance. They probably should but they won't.

Also, wow, did not realize how bad Murphy has been this year.

Murphy has only played 30 games or so, was coming back from knee surgery in the offseason. He's improved as of late and is getting better. 471 OPS in June and 792 OPS in July, it shouldn't be surprising that a guy might struggle his first week or two considering when he came back.

They should and they could be a good match for the Brewers. I don't expect them to because they still have by far the best combination of talent and experience in the east if their injury luck evens out a little. The other question is whether they've got too much of a hole to climb out of, which I think they do. Add in the obvious issues with market, payroll, and all the revenue they have to give the Orioles, and it should be an easy decision.

Otherwise they are the 2012 Brewers, blowing a chance to cash out on a core that has peaked and gone downhill fast and ruining their next 4 years in the process. Heck, they should probably shop Scherzer.

Verified Member

Murphy was rushed back (in the sense that he sat on the DL all season and they finally had to do something) before he could even move around comfortably, I wouldn't read too much into his poor stats.

Though the fact that he may still be nursing an injury is an excellent reason not to pay too much for him.

Murphy would be a great get. I think the Nats will wait till the last minute, but if they do decide to sell, he's my number one target. He'd come with a bonus of being a guy who's performed very well in the postseason.

I tend to agree. I actually think the Twins also are waiting to see how these next 2 or 3 games play out before making a decision. If both teams win all of their next 3 games...both teams might hold their pieces and try to make a stretch run, which would seriously limit our 2b market.

You would probably end up platooning Murphy during the regular season with Villar. Would help keep Murphy fresh and Villar is probably better vs LHP. I suspect we may have a bit of a lull over the next couple days with minimal movement, I doubt we see as many moves over the next couple days as we saw yesterday.

Murphy was rushed back (in the sense that he sat on the DL all season and they finally had to do something) before he could even move around comfortably, I wouldn't read too much into his poor stats.

Though the fact that he may still be nursing an injury is an excellent reason not to pay too much for him.

Yeah I was at the game Wednesday and glanced at Murphy a few times coming off the field and he still looks pretty gimpy. Took him a few steps of stiff running to get up to speed. Looked like a 40 yr old.

If the Brewers don't acquire a MI before the deadline I could totally see Murphy as an August trade candidate if the Nationals don't gain any ground. If they're motivated to get under the tax shedding a few million for lottery ticket type player makes sense.

Murphy is making $17.5 million this year and he very well could clear waivers.

empty the farm for MAX

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Villar is probably better vs LHP.

0% chance of that being true

Villar vs. LHP - .300/.352/.540/.892

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Villar is probably better vs LHP.

0% chance of that being true

Villar vs. LHP - .300/.352/.540/.892

Yeah I don't know where that came from. Villar is a Much better hitter right handed. Career .172 iso vs .122. Higher OBP etc.

Community Moderator

Last night the Nationals suffered a 10th inning walkoff loss on a hit by J.T. Realmuto. After the game Bryce Harper told the media, “If that guy was on our side, that wouldn’t have happened.”

Nationals lost to the Marlins again today, 5-0 this time.

The Nationals are 52-53.

They are third place in the NL East, 6.0 back of the Phillies and 4.5 back of the Braves.

They are 5.5 back of the second Wild Card, but have the Cardinals, Pirates, Braves, and Rockies ahead of them in pursuit of unseating the Diamondbacks for that second WC spot.

This is an organization that has never appeared in an NLCS (since moving to D.C.). I am fascinated to see what they do over the next 48 hours.

1) Do they just sit with what they have, maybe add a small piece, and hope things go better over the last 57 games?

2) Do they try to make a big splash addition like J.T. Realmuto to try to make a run for the playoffs in Harper’s last year of control?

3) Or do they sell what they can in order to start building towards the future?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Looks like Nationals have made Harper available for trade. Just for fun, what would you be willing to give up?

Woodruff , Ray, lottery ticket.

But to be honest that may be too much as this year he has not been good. He definitely has a hot streak in him at some point though.

Archived