Brewer Fanatic

Twins

If you’re getting Dozier and Gibson you might as well toss in Fernando Rodney and bring another quality back end to the bullpen.

Crooked Cap. I’ve never liked that. K Rod lite.

It's a tribute to his late father who wore his that way because "that's the side the sun hits the face."

Just honoring his dad.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See if Joe Mauer wants to put on some catchers gear while they’re at it too.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
https://twitter.com/mlbsider/status/1022302356866822144?s=21

Sources say that the #Twins and #Brewers are engaged in serious trade talks, mainly about Brian Dozier and Eduardo Escobar. A deal doesn't appear imminent, however.

I like Dozier better than Escobar, but either one would be an upgrade.

If you’re getting Dozier and Gibson you might as well toss in Fernando Rodney and bring another quality back end to the bullpen.

Crooked Cap. I’ve never liked that. K Rod lite.

It's a tribute to his late father who wore his that way because "that's the side the sun hits the face."

Just honoring his dad.

Well that makes more sense. Thanks for that, I wasn’t aware

Only a matter of time and we will have one of two middle infielders minimum. Just my thoughts on it. We have to upgrade before the deadline and these two guys make the most sense offensively.

My prediction is they trade for Dozier to play 2B, and Arcia comes back up to play SS. Saladino can slide into a utility role. Miller can slide into oblivion for all I care. He's horrible.

I would take Gibson, but would not risk holding up the trade for Escobar and Dozier to do it. If Gibson is making $4.8M, this year - I assume he will make $7M next year in final year of arby?... I would also assume I would be trading Gibson off during the offseason, unless Anderson can be moved for value.

Escobar and Dozier for Villar and Houser? Not enough? Need a kicker?

If you want to go Gibson, Escobar, Dozier then Villar, Houser, Ponce, and Stokes?...

I predict it's Dozier coming to Milwaukee...and I also predict it won't happen until July 30th, the Twins' next home game. That way the home crowd gets to clap and cheer for him one last time when he's hugging teammates in the field after the trade finally gets announced. Dozier is basically the marketing face of this team, and from a Brewer fan's standpoint that wants an upgrade at 2B for as many games as possible it's stupid - but I'm guessing that's the holdup in what seems like an obvious trade fit here.

I predict it's Dozier coming to Milwaukee...and I also predict it won't happen until July 30th, the Twins' next home game. That way the home crowd gets to clap and cheer for him one last time when he's hugging teammates in the field after the trade finally gets announced. Dozier is basically the marketing face of this team, and from a Brewer fan's standpoint that wants an upgrade at 2B for as many games as possible it's stupid - but I'm guessing that's the holdup in what seems like an obvious trade fit here.

I agree ... Dozier is loved in Minnesota. Great team guy and a leader. It makes perfect sense that they'd want to give him a home send-off.

https://www.mlb.com/news/predictions-for-2018-mlb-trade-deadline/c-287131076?partnerId=ed-12915931-1086168613

He predicts Dozier to Red Sox. Escobar to DBacks.

Cabrera and Wheeler to Brewers.

All the more the reason to grab Escobar while we are at it. Saladino can be the main backup at SS and 2B.

I would be shocked if we didn't grab someone, and when the dust settles I suspect Saladino will be the primary backup at SS/2b with Miller and possibly Villar or Perez gone.

Only a matter of time and we will have one of two middle infielders minimum. Just my thoughts on it. We have to upgrade before the deadline and these two guys make the most sense offensively.

My prediction is they trade for Dozier to play 2B, and Arcia comes back up to play SS. Saladino can slide into a utility role. Miller can slide into oblivion for all I care. He's horrible.

Ha, that's great! I actually like Miller in a backup role. I hope to see Villar as the odd guy out; he and Perez are about the offensive equivalent but Perez is the more versatile of the two (and typically doesn't make dumb outs on the bases) I too would just put Arcia back at SS. His defense makes the team better, despite the offensive struggles.

And yes, Dozier would be a solid upgrade. Whoever the Brewers acquire, I think many of us are going to be upset on what they give up. There's competition for all these guys and teams aren't selling legit solid players for organizational filler type talent.

https://www.mlb.com/news/predictions-for-2018-mlb-trade-deadline/c-287131076?partnerId=ed-12915931-1086168613

All the more the reason to grab Escobar while we are at it. Saladino can be the main backup at SS and 2B.

I would be shocked if we didn't grab someone, and when the dust settles I suspect Saladino will be the primary backup at SS/2b with Miller and possibly Villar or Perez gone.

I wouldn't be shocked at all. We saw this play out very similarly last trade deadline and after the Yelich/Cain acquisitions. DS isn't going to overpay for anyone under any circumstances. We might get Swarzak/Walker level moves for extra rule 5 pieces but the longer this goes the more likely that there isn't a major acquisition.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I wouldn't be shocked at all. We saw this play out very similarly last trade deadline and after the Yelich/Cain acquisitions. DS isn't going to overpay for anyone under any circumstances. We might get Swarzak/Walker level moves for extra rule 5 pieces but the longer this goes the more likely that there isn't a major acquisition.

That is simply incorrect. The link below shows every deadline deal last year. The day with the most deals was naturally July 31st. That tells me it absolutely does not become less likely that we make a major acquisition the longer this goes on.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/7/18/15989724/2017-mlb-trade-deadline-rumor-tracker

That is simply incorrect. The link below shows every deadline deal last year. The day with the most deals was naturally July 31st. That tells me it absolutely does not become less likely that we make a major acquisition the longer this goes on.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/7/18/15989724/2017-mlb-trade-deadline-rumor-tracker

Maybe his last part might be incorrect if you base it on last year but his points about Stearns were very correct. Stearns seems to be a solid deal maker and doesn’t get caught up if a deal doesn’t happen. It’s a great thing that he doesn’t just make a deal just to get one done and that he sticks to what he thinks is fair value for these guys.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm generally a "trust the career numbers/don't put it all in how this year is going" type of person when valuing players. One would expect Dozier's arrow to still trend up and Miller to basically be the same streaky/iffy platoon hitter.

All of that said, Dozier is getting to an age that a lot of 2B-types have fallen off a cliff. If he doesn't get it going, you've arguably traded for a downgrade in Dozier and in putting Arcia back at SS, you have somehow made your middle infield even more of a black hole in the batting order.

Not sure what you are objecting to. Showing me all trades by all MLB teams says nothing about DS and his nature. I see no history or indication that says DS is going to be pushed into a trade just because of a deadline. Sure, if the right guy falls into their lap at the deadline then I'm sure he will make that call but typically that will be a smaller move like Jeffress was last year. The tendency is for teams to overpay right at the deadline and I just don't see DS getting involved in a bidding war because said deadline is looming. Frankly that is simply correct.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Not sure what you are objecting to. Showing me all trades by all MLB teams says nothing about DS and his nature. I see no history or indication that says DS is going to be pushed into a trade just because of a deadline. Sure, if the right guy falls into their lap at the deadline then I'm sure he will make that call but typically that will be a smaller move like Jeffress was last year. The tendency is for teams to overpay right at the deadline and I just don't see DS getting involved in a bidding war because said deadline is looming. Frankly that is simply correct.

There is not enough data to say what he will or won’t do.

Archived