Brewer Fanatic

2018-07-25: Nationals (Roark) at Brewers (Peralta) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-3]

Eye Black
Community Moderator

Hw5GV0W.jpg

Hw5H5wI.jpg

[pre]Nationals Lineup Brewers Lineup

1. Adam Eaton (L) RF 1. Eric Thames (L) RF

2. Anthony Rendon ® 3B 2. Lorenzo Cain ® CF

3. Bryce Harper (L) CF 3. Christian Yelich (L) LF

4. Matt Adams (L) 1B 4. Jesús Aguilar ® 1B

5. Juan Soto (L) LF 5. Travis Shaw (L) 3B

6. Daniel Murphy (L) 2B 6. Tyler Saladino ® SS

7. Trea Turner ® SS 7. Brad Miller (L) 2B

8. Matt Wieters (S) C 8. Manny Piña ® C

9. Tanner Roark ® P 9. Freddy Peralta ® P[/pre]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Brett Phillips takes the bullet so Peralta can return.

Disappointing that he didn't get more of an opportunity to play following his break-out against the Pirates just before the break. Still, he needs to go to AAA and start making better contact, and cut down on the Ks.

Kratz probably gets in the line up today. I wonder if they get Phillips in the line up for Cain or Thames.

I could see Aguilar getting another day just because he's in a mild slump and Counsell seems to highly value RHP/LHB matchups.

I'll guess

Thames

Yelich

Cain

Shaw

Miller

Saladino

Phillips - Edit: That didn't age well.

Kratz

lol, ya. I missed the Phillips transaction as well.

Aguilar and Thames both coming off some nagging injuries. Day game after a night game. I could still see Braun getting in for one of them although there will be a couple chances for Braun to get in the line up in SF since they are facing 2 lefties in that series.

Thames

Cain

Yelich

Aguilar

Shaw

Saladino

Miller

Pina

Peralta

Yeesh, that 6-9 is bad. Dozier would look nice in this lineup.

Miller has been horrid recently. 0.547 OPS over the past month, 0.284 OPS over last 14 days. I hope some positive regression is coming.

Dozier would be really nice in the 6 hole. I like Saladino, I just don't like him batting #6.

Thames

Cain

Yelich

Aguilar

Shaw

Saladino

Miller

Pina

Peralta

Yeesh, that 6-9 is bad. Dozier would look nice in this lineup.

1 and 3-9 has been pretty bad lately.

I’m confused. Are you saying Yelich, who is in the 3 hole, has been bad lately?

Per McCalvy:

“So, with Davies down and Trade Deadline 6 days away, Brewers have 5 starters (Anderson, Chacin, Guerra, Miley, Peralta) plus Woodruff, who was optioned to Triple A yesterday and will stretch back out as a starter. After that, Wilkerson. Current plan is leave Burnes in ‘pen”

The Brewers would rather waste time giving potential starts to Woodruff and Wilkerson in a playoff race rather than putting Burnes in the rotation where he would clearly be an upgrade. Unless, they make a trade for a starter. Crazy.

Per McCalvy:

“So, with Davies down and Trade Deadline 6 days away, Brewers have 5 starters (Anderson, Chacin, Guerra, Miley, Peralta) plus Woodruff, who was optioned to Triple A yesterday and will stretch back out as a starter. After that, Wilkerson. Current plan is leave Burnes in ‘pen”

The Brewers would rather waste time giving potential starts to Woodruff and Wilkerson in a playoff race rather than putting Burnes in the rotation where he would clearly be an upgrade. Unless, they make a trade for a starter. Crazy.

That's the key quote right there. My guess is they see Burnes as a big help to the pen and would like to keep him there if they can't improve the starting 5. If, in one week, our starting rotation is the same as it is today ... we can start to question that decision. I would be willing to bet good money our rotation will have an additional piece or 2 by the end of the weekend.

Miller has been horrid recently. 0.547 OPS over the past month, 0.284 OPS over last 14 days. I hope some positive regression is coming.

In 59 and 17 PA's respectively. It's not like he's played a lot.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Per McCalvy:

That's the key quote right there. My guess is they see Burnes as a big help to the pen and would like to keep him there if they can't improve the starting 5. If, in one week, our starting rotation is the same as it is today ... we can start to question that decision. I would be willing to bet good money our rotation will have an additional piece or 2 by the end of the weekend.

The whole time that Woodruff & Wilkerson are preparing for any starts they may potentially have (which would require someone getting hurt, us not trading for someone & neither Davies nor Nelson coming back at all), Burnes will be in the bullpen helping the Major League team win games in a playoff race.

If he was staying stretched out to be our 6th starter he would be in Colo Springs & the MLB bullpen would be weakened.

Even if someone does get hurt, we don't trade for anyone & neither Davies nor Nelson come back it's not like Woodruff is a terrible option for a 6th starter.

Per McCalvy:

A lot of people were critical of Hader going to the pen as well, that’s worked out pretty well. I’ll trust the people that work with these guys every single day. This isn’t just a knee jerk decision to throw him out there.

I think it's strange to put so much emphasis on who's a starter and who's a reliever considering the Brewers are at or near the forefront of a bullpen revolution, extracting the most possible wins out of a rather unspectacular roster by using great relievers more often and in higher leverage situations. It's doubly strange now that we're so close to September call-ups and bullpen starts, which are what got the Brewers back in the race after an epic mid-season collapse last year.

Miley or Woodruff, honestly don't think it matters. They might only need/get 3-4 innings anyway, especially once they finish their west coast trip. You could even let match-ups dictate which one "starts" on any given turn, depending on the opposing lineup's splits.

I think it's strange to put so much emphasis on who's a starter and who's a reliever considering the Brewers are at or near the forefront of a bullpen revolution, extracting the most possible wins out of a rather unspectacular roster by using great relievers more often and in higher leverage situations. It's doubly strange now that we're so close to September call-ups and bullpen starts, which are what got the Brewers back in the race after an epic mid-season collapse last year.

Miley or Woodruff, honestly don't think it matters. They might only need/get 3-4 innings anyway, especially once they finish their west coast trip. You could even let match-ups dictate which one "starts" on any given turn, depending on the opposing lineup's splits.

Some seem to be of the mindset that the only reason they're using the bullpen the way they are is because the starters are so bad. Outs are outs. It doesn't matter who gets them and how many they get, as long as they are gotten. The Brewers are still 4th in MLB in fewest runs allowed per game. They know what they are doing with their pitchers. People don't like what they Rays are doing with their staff either. They are 6th.

So much for Peralta being our ace. He looks exactly like a 22-year old rookie starter should look - inconsistent. He's a fun arm to have in the system, but should not be depended on.

Yep, I would honestly think Woodruff would be the more refined of the two. I think it was correct to ride out the hot streak from Freddy at first but I think he will spend some time down working on his control. Could see him head to AAA to finish August then come back up with September call ups.

Archived