Brewer Fanatic

Ted Williams: American Masters

The stache

kwwS3bU.png

Ted Williams, the greatest hitter of all-time.

Did any of you catch the new episode of PBS' American Masters about Ted Williams? It debuted on Monday night, and I really enjoyed it. It covers much the same ground that HBO Sports' Legends & Legacies did, but there were newer interviews, and different footage.

It also included newly discovered color footage of Williams' last game, and home run in his final at bat. Glorious. A 19 year old kid took his camera to Fenway and shot footage from all along the third and first base lines, as well as from the bleachers.

Highly recommended for any fans of the former Red Sox great.

My favorite little gem-the day that Williams returned from Korea, and showed up at Fenway to see then team owner Tom Yawkey, Williams just wanted to go fishing. The owner convinced him to take batting practice. Some press, his teammates, and a handful of workers and fans who were there got a chance to see Williams hold and swing a bat for the first time in nearly 500 days. He roped a few line drives with the first pitches, and the pitcher said, "hey Ted, you look pretty good up there."

Williams replied, "shut up and throw the f_____ ball." LOL

Nothing had changed. His singular focus was as sharp as ever.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ted is also in one or two fishing hall of fames. Talk about a renaissance man.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm big Teddy Ballgame fan and I was pleasantly surprised to see a documentary that mentioned his Mexican heritage and the fact that it shamed him. But they failed to elaborate on his jailbird brother, who like Carl Flood was dependent to his brother (Curt) for bail money and other financial help for their entire lives.

Afterthought: Curt always asserted that bigger brother Carl was actually a better ballplayer than he! Too bad he couldn't get on the straight and narrow. Imagine Flood 3 inches taller and 30lb heavier with the same skillset!

Archived