Brewer Fanatic

Launch Angle leading to more K’s?

Bombers

I was listening to the radio with Uecker on interviewing Jenkins tonight. Geoff made a comment that when he played “pitchers were taught to pitch the ball low in the zone to induce ground balls as hitting coaches instructed hitters to “flatten” their swing. Today hitting coaches are teaching launch angle which leads to pitchers pitching up in the zone to induce more fly balls and strike outs. And this is the reason that we are seeing the strike out totals so high.”

Anyhow, I haven’t really put much thought into why are K totals so high these days but this makes sense and figured I would post

I was listening to the radio with Uecker on interviewing Jenkins tonight. Geoff made a comment that when he played “pitchers were taught to pitch the ball low in the zone to induce ground balls as hitting coaches instructed hitters to “flatten” their swing. Today hitting coaches are teaching launch angle which leads to pitchers pitching up in the zone to induce more fly balls and strike outs. And this is the reason that we are seeing the strike out totals so high.”

Anyhow, I haven’t really put much thought into why are K totals so high these days but this makes sense and figured I would post

On the TV broadcast from last night's game, they mentioned MLB's upward vertical adjustment of the strike zone.

I hadn't thought about connecting that with the launch angle thing until your post. It might be an interesting lesson in unintended consequences.

MLB wants more balls in play.

MLB raises the strike zone.

Players realize launch angle elevation will help them hit jacks.

Players K more as they swing upward.

Archived