Brewer Fanatic

Standing pat is forward thinking too...

It is not sexy with the way that no one really likes a deal or rumor maybe this might be the way to go---

Plus, having CRay, Huira, and Arcia and a rotation next year of JNelson, ChaseA, Hader/Peralta, Burnes, and Chacin would be more in line with the long term plan that DS has in mind.

That being said, I think a selling of DSantana and several 40 man roster bound kids is in order. I would rather move those pieces than force a move for 5+ERA Sonny Gray, a NYM/BALT/KC package, or disposable Twins. I would rather bring in a controllable setup type big arm and move Hader to the rotation next year.

2019 starters:

JNelson

Chase

Hader (instead of longing for a controllable, young, power starter in mid-late July, why not use the one we have)

Burnes

Chacin

Woodruff

Peralta

ZackBrown

Ortiz

'Pen:

Knebel

JJ

JBarnes

Albers one more year

DJnnngs one more year

QTC control lefty to move Hader up

Taylor Will

Guerra (I am a fan of this guy and his 2.0 July 24th,'18 WAR as a starter on a very competitive team, but I don't know how he fits in this scenario)

Suter (upon return he is here, Kratz and HPerez have better pitching WARs now...unacceptable in a wildcard race...let's excel and not just get by)

AWilk

JLo

thoughts??

You generally make a good point about rotating out our older replaceable arms for younger guys with some upside. I'm not sure we'll see Albers back next year, and Suter definitely won't be pitching next year. I also don't like the idea of Wilkerson in the bullpen.

Part of the reason we should be looking to trade so heavily this offseason is the 40 man crunch. Prospect for prospect trades aren't common, so really we should be looking to trade some of them for upgrades this year...whether rentals or controllable. We have enough depth that we can trade a few future 40 man pieces and still have solid depth at most spots.

I'll also add that I like Hader in the rotation as well, but you're going to meet a ton of resistance on that. I'd bet there are some posters here who still think Hader only has 1 pitch.

I don't think this franchise which has reached the postseason twice in 36 seasons can surrender any opportunities by not adding pieces that are available because there is a cost involved.

Exactly this.......................................except opposite.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

You generally make a good point about rotating out our older replaceable arms for younger guys with some upside. I'm not sure we'll see Albers back next year, and Suter definitely won't be pitching next year. I also don't like the idea of Wilkerson in the bullpen.

Part of the reason we should be looking to trade so heavily this offseason is the 40 man crunch. Prospect for prospect trades aren't common, so really we should be looking to trade some of them for upgrades this year...whether rentals or controllable. We have enough depth that we can trade a few future 40 man pieces and still have solid depth at most spots.

I'll also add that I like Hader in the rotation as well, but you're going to meet a ton of resistance on that. I'd bet there are some posters here who still think Hader only has 1 pitch.

Albers was a huge underrated part of our bullpen success in the first couple months of the season. His ERA entering June was barely 1. Yeah he struggled in June but I'm willing to associate at least some of that through trying to play through his injury.

Besides, they're committed to him at 2.5M next season anyway -- barring a collapse, I very much think he's back.

Albers was a huge underrated part of our bullpen success in the first couple months of the season. His ERA entering June was barely 1. Yeah he struggled in June but I'm willing to associate at least some of that through trying to play through his injury.

Besides, they're committed to him at 2.5M next season anyway -- barring a collapse, I very much think he's back.

Oh really? I didn't look, but I always thought we had him on a 1 year deal...and I anticipated someone else paying him more than us because he's been so good. If he's under contract, he should definitely be back.

At this point, none of the rental players available are going to cost anyone you can't live without.

Adding a middle infielder and a relief arm is going to happen. Probably similar to what they did last year and none of the guys they gave up are of much consequence to the health/depth of the organization.

At this point, none of the rental players available are going to cost anyone you can't live without.

Adding a middle infielder and a relief arm is going to happen. Probably similar to what they did last year and none of the guys they gave up are of much consequence to the health/depth of the organization.

I think you'll be shocked by the return the O's get for Britton, but with that said I highly doubt we get him...and any other rental will be fairly reasonably priced. It would likely be trading from 40 man depth pieces and clearing a few spots.

Agree 100% with the topic. With the SP prospects on the brink of hitting the majors, I don't want Hader in the rotation. I don't think he would be nearly as effective being a two-pitch pitcher, fastball probably sitting 91-93, and facing hitters multiple times. He's too valuable in the position that he's in.

I also would keep Domingo for another year unless someone is trading based on his potential. He is the definition of sell-low: no thanks. I really think Domingo is closer to the 2017 version than this version. Of course, I'm not sure how to build his value if there isn't a spot for him to play.

Overall, I agree with stay the course and build internally. The amount of controllable talent on this team is beyond encouraging.

I was even a little disappointed in the Cain/Yellich moves as I was in the stick with the rebuilding plan camp during the off season. I was wrong though but after the recent slump I am glad we didn't overpay for Machado and I don't think this small market franchise can risk the huge package it would take for deGrom or Syndergard. Just not worth it to get a wildcard, we have a decent shot at that just standing pat.

I have thought all year that they have kept the option open to move Hader to the rotation and we must be getting close to the point where they can do it and he can finish the year. Again I am probably overreacting to the recent play but if they want to give it a try the sooner the better, he needs to start building his innings up. With Suter out, Nelson a huge ? and Peralta on an innings limit it seems like they could find room. Maybe that would be the shot in the arm the team needs right now, they could even piggy back him and Peralta a couple of starts and then give Peralta his role in the bullpen the rest of the year.

I was even a little disappointed in the Cain/Yellich moves as I was in the stick with the rebuilding plan camp during the off season. I was wrong though but after the recent slump I am glad we didn't overpay for Machado and I don't think this small market franchise can risk the huge package it would take for deGrom or Syndergard. Just not worth it to get a wildcard, we have a decent shot at that just standing pat.

I have thought all year that they have kept the option open to move Hader to the rotation and we must be getting close to the point where they can do it and he can finish the year. Again I am probably overreacting to the recent play but if they want to give it a try the sooner the better, he needs to start building his innings up. With Suter out, Nelson a huge ? and Peralta on an innings limit it seems like they could find room. Maybe that would be the shot in the arm the team needs right now, they could even piggy back him and Peralta a couple of starts and then give Peralta his role in the bullpen the rest of the year.

They aren't moving Hader to the rotation. Certainly not this year and my guess would be not at all.

They aren't moving Hader to the rotation. Certainly not this year and my guess would be not at all.

I'm a huge Hader to the rotation advocate, but I agree it is unlikely this year. I suspect Hader put all his offseason energy into mastering his slider so he could fill a relief role. Maybe this coming offseason, Hader works on furthering his changeup. This is very similar to the type of thing Nelson did, worked on one thing per offseason and went from being a 2 pitch pitcher with mediocre command to a 4 pitch pitcher with good command. Hader(and any prospect that reaches the majors) is not a finished product that can no longer improve or add pitches once they reach the majors. We'll see if he does(I hope Hader has even 80% of the work ethic that Nelson has), but at the moment he is not a starter though.

I'm absolutely against trading any of Hiura/Burnes/Peralta for basically anyone not named DeGrom. However, completely standing pat for an organization that is currently in a WC spot and has been to the playoffs twice in the last 40 years is beyond foolish.

Especially when you consider the number of guys who will need to be protected on the 40 man next year, as has been mentioned a ton on here. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of guys in this system too but newsflash- not all of them are going to pan out, and you're going to need to move some of them because they are, or will be, blocked eventually.

There are absolutely ways to improve this year's squad with guys like Dozier, Escobar, Cabrera, Barnhart, AJ Ellis, relievers, etc. etc. that will not cost guys who are really going to hurt the system if they are moved. This is the beauty of building a deep system. The Brewers and Stearns would be foolish not to pursue some of those avenues.

So if the Brewers miss the playoffs by a game or two again but don't make any moves, ya'll are going to be happy because Stearns was standing pat!?

That is about as certain as you're gonna get that "standing pat" is not gonna happen.

Meh. I read it as typical GM speak.

"There are going to be a lot of players traded over next week." (Yeah, obviously).

"We're going to be active on a number of them." (Yeah, kind of figured.)

Then he adds the disclaimer that you never know until you actually complete the trade.

Not that there is anything wrong with what he said. I just don't read much into it other than that they don't INTEND to stand pat.

That is about as certain as you're gonna get that "standing pat" is not gonna happen.

Meh. I read it as typical GM speak.

"There are going to be a lot of players traded over next week." (Yeah, obviously).

"We're going to be active on a number of them." (Yeah, kind of figured.)

Then he adds the disclaimer that you never know until you actually complete the trade.

Not that there is anything wrong with what he said. I just don't read much into it other than that they don't INTEND to stand pat.

More specifically, this is David Stearns speak (from the winter meetings).

Tom

@Haudricourt

Stearns: "We're deep into discussions on a couple of fronts. We've had some discussions progress but I can't handicap. I don't want to handicap."

11:06 AM - Dec 13, 2017

If I'm not the President of the Stand Pat Club, I'm at least one of the VPs. That said, I don't care if they trade lower level prospects- they need to cull the herd a bit anyhow, I also don't care if they trade a couple players higher up the chain for someone who is controlled for a few more years.

As for Hader, I have always wanted him in the rotation but maybe that doesn't happen until 2020 season. That's fine. Key for me is Peralta and Burnes start 2019 in the rotation. Anything else they do is open for discussion. Frankly, I would like to trade Anderson or Chacin during the off-season.

Unless we think our farm system has the next 90's Braves rotation it would be wreckless to not try and win big when you are 12 over 500 and in the WC in late July.

Albers is fine i suppose but his injury is hardly what is hurting us. I'm far more interested in a healthy Davies.

I was good standing pat last season. This is a different club. Maybe in the American League, I'd stand, but this is a really good team when healthy. The bullpen is very good and you have a prime: Yelich, Cain, Shaw, Thames and Aguilar. I'd really like to see Arcia back at short. I don't really care if he doesn't hit; his defense can be that much of a difference maker.

I think if you add some significant but not farm destroying moves could really push this team over the top.

Standing pat would have been my preferred strategy this last off-season. Go into the regular season with Brinson and Phillips as the backup outfielders and rotate them in (Broxton would have been the centerfielder) and see what happens. Woodruff starts the year in the rotation and Burnes and Peralta start in AAA and each of those guys have a chance to pitch their way to the majors. Hader is on the staff and has a chance to earn a starting spot in spring training. I wasn't opposed to adding veterans but would have stuck with guys that only had one year commitments with the exception of a reliever. Over the first 2.5 months it sure looked like Stearns was right to pull the trigger this off-season but we'll see where the team is at by season's end.

But this isn't the off-season anymore. I would like to see them add some pieces. I'm on record as wanting Cabrera and Ellis, hopefully Stearns can add a couple players like this at the right price. Really would be a shame with the pitching doing so well, and guys like Cain/Aguilar/Yelich contributing so much...only to be done in because the bottom of the lineup just can't get it done. Making the lineup stronger from #5 - #8 shouldn't cost this team and arm and a leg, so why not go out and make some moves?

Peralta just depends on the scouting. Right now he can't pitch with runners on, he loses the deception and extension out of the stretch and he doesn't have the stuff to compensate. If the team thinks they can fix that I have him as a no trade but there is a really good chance he is just going to flame out too.

Archived