Brewer Fanatic

Cleveland Indians

Bradley Zimmer out likely the rest of the year with shoulder surgery. Lonnie Chisenhall on the 60-day DL. Outside of Michael Brantley (.833 OPS), the rest of their OF is 37-year-old Rajai Davis (.606 OPS) and Greg Allen (.533 OPS) manning CF, Tyler Naquin (.662 OPS), Brandon Guyer (.640), and Melky Cabrera (.628).

I wonder if now is the time to approach Cleveland about a mutually beneficial trade, and if:

1) they would part with Yandy Diaz for Domingo Santana + Broxton, and

B) if Diaz can still play 2B. He played 2B on the Cuban national team, but has played very little 2B stateside.

Broxton is a slugger compared to their current CF crop, and they only need him to get through this season as Zimmer will be back next year. Santana has several years of control and a clear path to start every day the rest of the year. Encarnacion is 35 and only guaranteed through 2019, then Santana can take over as DH if they have better options in RF.

Diaz is an OBP machine, and in the minors walked (321 times) more than he struck out (310 times). Perhaps Diaz stays at 3B and Shaw can play 2B. I think Hiura is more of a 2020 arrival than 2019, certainly not the start of 2019, and then the Brewers can figure out what to do with Shaw/Diaz after 2019.

Probably crazy, but maybe crazy enough to work...

FYI - Zimmer will be down for at least part of 2019. He won't resume baseball activities for 8 to 12 MONTHS....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/bradley-zimmer-undergoes-shoulder-surgery.html

As for Diaz at 2B, since coming stateside with the 2014 season he has played a total of 41.1 innings at the position across AA & AAA.

This season it been time at 3B, 1B, & DH..

Wouldn't mind dealing Santana and/or Broxton but not for Diaz - just zero power to help us (how do you have gigantic arms and no power!) Maybe restock the farm for other buyer deals....something like Chang, Hentges, Oviedo should do the trick.

The Indians will go out and get someone like Granderson or Adam Jones for peanuts, and they will be just as bad as what they have in the OF. Just watch.

As in you think Broxton/Santana would be superior players?

Cleveland is in a weird spot. They got aggressive with several years of control on Hand/Cimber, but they can probably wait out the outfield trades and probably go pretty cheap there.

Their 2018 season opens about 70 days from now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Indians will go out and get someone like Granderson or Adam Jones for peanuts, and they will be just as bad as what they have in the OF. Just watch.

Cleveland is in a weird spot. They got aggressive with several years of control on Hand/Cimber, but they can probably wait out the outfield trades and probably go pretty cheap there.

I think if the Brewers and Indians were going to get together on an OF trade, it would have happened in the offseason or in spring training. The Indians are a good match for Broxton and a great match for Santana. But they decided to go with junk OFers instead, and it has bitten them. However, in that time, Santana and Broxton have turned in junk performances as well, so who knows?

In any case, I bet they get Adam Jones for next to nothing.

I think if the Brewers and Indians were going to get together on an OF trade, it would have happened in the offseason or in spring training. The Indians are a good match for Broxton and a great match for Santana. But they decided to go with junk OFers instead, and it has bitten them. However, in that time, Santana and Broxton have turned in junk performances as well, so who knows?

In any case, I bet they get Adam Jones for next to nothing.

Hmmmm, maybe Broxton turned in a junk performance because he's short-end of the platoon hitter that isn't that good either?

Adam Jones may be washed up but this is exactly why Broxton never had much value as opposed to popular opinion on this board. He's not good enough to value his extra control years because somebody can turn and get Adam Jones for free for a season and then figure out the solution the next year.

His defense is superior to someone like Jones at this point in his career, but the Brewers will probably never get the return they'd be asking for for 4 years of control of a player of Broxton's ilk.

Well, so much for that idea: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/indians-claim-johnny-field.html

Field is pretty much junk too, but the Indians got him for nothing.

He might just be a placeholder. They just need someone to swing the bat and catch some balls in the outfield during their 70 day exhibition season they're in and they can see if his RH platoon bat is enough.

He's probably a little bit inferior to Broxton but not a sizeable gap. I'd imagine Broxton is a better CF defender, but I don't know enough about Field in the field (pun intended).

Well, so much for that idea: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/indians-claim-johnny-field.html

He might just be a placeholder. They just need someone to swing the bat and catch some balls in the outfield during their 70 day exhibition season they're in.

He's probably a little bit inferior to Broxton but not a sizeable gap. I'd imagine Broxton is a better CF defender, but I don't know enough about Field in the field (pun intended).

Field immediately accepted an assignment to AAA. Probably more of a depth move. A contending team doesn't want someone like Field playing a meaningful role. Adam Jones is more logical than the other 2. He's still a very solid hitter despite the defense not being what it was. He gets great marks for his clubhouse presence as well. Hard to imagine him becoming much of a clubhouse leader in 70 games with the guys currently there, but he certainly would be a positive to some degree.

Field is probably a depth move similar to us snagging Liriano. I've felt like that move was a precursor to one or more of Broxton/Phillips/Santana getting traded since it happened. When we get healthy and some of those guys go down to AAA, there won't really be space for Liriano.

He might just be a placeholder. They just need someone to swing the bat and catch some balls in the outfield during their 70 day exhibition season they're in.

Field immediately accepted an assignment to AAA. Probably more of a depth move. A contending team doesn't want someone like Field playing a meaningful role. Adam Jones is more logical than the other 2. He's still a very solid hitter despite the defense not being what it was. He gets great marks for his clubhouse presence as well. Hard to imagine him becoming much of a clubhouse leader in 70 games with the guys currently there, but he certainly would be a positive to some degree.

Field is probably a depth move similar to us snagging Liriano. I've felt like that move was a precursor to one or more of Broxton/Phillips/Santana getting traded since it happened. When we get healthy and some of those guys go down to AAA, there won't really be space for Liriano.

Yeah, they still may get Jones and with the injuries they do just need depth (Field).

That said, my point remains that they have a strange rental situation where the next 2 months are 99% meaningless unless the selling Twins accidentally play .650 or better baseball.

They could still use a playoff upgrade, but a rental means even less to them.

Please take a moment to let this one sink in before liking or disliking... Doubt it would happen but this is the season for brainstorming trades....

Another poster on a Tribe board started the idea & I added to both sides on it...

Cody Allen, Mike Clevinger, Yandy Diaz & Jason Kipnis (plus a total of $7MM)

for

Corey Knebel & Travis Shaw..

Comments??

Please take a moment to let this one sink in before liking or disliking... Doubt it would happen but this is the season for brainstorming trades....

Another poster on a Tribe board started the idea & I added to both sides on it...

Cody Allen, Mike Clevinger, Yandy Diaz & Jason Kipnis (plus a total of $7MM)

for

Corey Knebel & Travis Shaw..

Comments??

I would do that deal in a heartbeat... but I have no idea why the Indians would. Clevinger is sporting a 1.23 WHIP this year.. 133 IP already and 133 K's.... Thats TOR production..

You mean 1.23 WHIP. Clevinger's era is 3.43

There are pluses & minuses on each side of this possibility..

From a Cleveland perspective:

1) They clear money in moving Allen & Kipnis (both now & for future years).

2) Jose Ramirez moves to his natural 2B position & gets left alone.

3) Shaw fills in the hole created at 3B & while his number are worse vs lefties, Cleveland has some others that could platoon well with him if needed.

4) Allen is a free agent after the season (as is Andrew Miller). Getting a controllable player in Knebel to pair with the recent additions of Brad Hand & Adam Cimber solidifies this season's bullpen & locks in a bullpen for the next few seasons as well.

You mean 1.23 WHIP. Clevinger's era is 3.43

There are pluses & minuses on each side of this possibility..

From a Cleveland perspective:

1) They clear money in moving Allen & Kipnis (both now & for future years).

2) Jose Ramirez moves to his natural 2B position & gets left alone.

3) Shaw fills in the hole created at 3B & while his number are worse vs lefties, Cleveland has some others that could platoon well with him if needed.

4) Allen is a free agent after the season (as is Andrew Miller). Getting a controllable player in Knebel to pair with the recent additions of Brad Hand & Adam Cimber solidifies this season's bullpen & locks in a bullpen for the next few seasons as well.

Excellent post. Yes, sorry I meant WHIP, fixed above.

You make some very good points, however, I firmly believe that the Indians would refuse to discuss a guy like Clevinger if Hiura or Burnes is not the headliner of the package coming back. It also makes little sense to remove a contributor like that from a contender.

If the Brewers want a TOR guy like Clevinger, Syndergaard, DeGrom etc. then the dicussion starts with Hiura and likely also includes Burnes or Peralta.

Archived