Brewer Fanatic

Mike Moustakas

If we were really going this route, wouldn't we have already made the move, moved Shaw to 2nd and Aguilar to 3rd to free up Thames for 1st? I mean if you're going to throw defense out the window, might as well go all out.

Community Moderator
This certainly falls into the catergory of “I’ll believe it when I see it”. I haven’t seen any evidence to suggest that Travis Shaw would be a passable second baseman. I am in the camp that thinks if they are truly interested in Moustakas then they have different plans for Shaw altogether.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

If we were really going this route, wouldn't we have already made the move, moved Shaw to 2nd and Aguilar to 3rd to free up Thames for 1st? I mean if you're going to throw defense out the window, might as well go all out.

I understand your point, but in fairness Moustakas is a much better defender at 3b than Aguilar...and we don't really know how Shaw would do at 2b. I suspect his range would be a serious problem there, but with all the shifting it could be hidden to some degree.

Moustakas is your classic Brewers hitter that I thought were were trying to get away from in favor of contact/OBP/BA. I mean if you get him cheap it's better than what we're trotting out at 2B. But I'm not too excited about a who barely OBPs above .300

Moustakas is your classic Brewers hitter that I thought were were trying to get away from in favor of contact/OBP/BA. I mean if you get him cheap it's better than what we're trotting out at 2B. But I'm not too excited about a who barely OBPs above .300

I'm not concerned about looking specifically for an OBP guy on the trade market. None of the candidates out there are going to impact the top 4-5 guys in the order. We'll be rolling Cain, Yelich, Aguilar, Shaw 1-4 regardless of who we trade for. Their BB% are 13.4, 8.8, 10.5, 13.2...all very good. Most guys we'll be trading for will slot in 5th or 6th most likely, we want someone that can hit and drive those guys in.

Fair but he's a 250/310 type guy so it's not like he's getting a ton of hits either. As you say though, it's better than what we have so I get it and wouldn't complain. Just feel like some of the other names mentioned might make more sense, but again it comes down to price as well. Take a Dozier, can probably bank on him more as 270/340ish with similar power and you don't have to do the defensive shuffle with Shaw.

Fair but he's a 250/310 type guy so it's not like he's getting a ton of hits either. As you say though, it's better than what we have so I get it and wouldn't complain. Just feel like some of the other names mentioned might make more sense, but again it comes down to price as well. Take a Dozier, can probably bank on him more as 270/340ish with similar power and you don't have to do the defensive shuffle with Shaw.

I prefer Dozier as well, I don't really condone the idea of getting Moustakas unless he's dirt cheap enough to be a part-time player for us, which is unlikely. The defense gymnastics we'd have to do to fit him in full time probably isn't worth the upgrade...especially with better 2b options out there.

I do wonder if Shaw is part of a package for a SP like Archer or Degrom, and that's why we keep checking in on Moustakas.

Community Moderator
Ken Rosenthal is reporting Brewers have interest in Moustakas and Outfielder prospect Brett Phillips is being discussed for return.

Here is the Ken Rosenthal tweet...

OF Brett Phillips a healthy scratch tonight for #Brewers’ Triple A affiliate. Per sources, he is one of prospects in play in MIL’s talks with the #Royals about Mike Moustakas. Also was part of MIL’s talks with #Orioles about Manny Machado, and those teams remain in discussions.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This trade makes zero sense to me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Are we gonna get the royal dh spot as well? Cause that's the only way this makes sense.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

It would be Shaw playing 2B if it happens. I'd guess some creative shifts as well. I'd have thought a simpler path would have been there, but it's something. Also would kind of make them a touch lefty heavy wouldn't it?

It would be Shaw playing 2B if it happens. I'd guess some creative shifts as well. I'd have thought a simpler path would have been there, but it's something. Also would kind of make them a touch lefty heavy wouldn't it?

Vs RHP

Thames

Cain

Yelich

Aguilar

Moustakas

Shaw

C

Arcia/Miller

Vs LHP

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Aguilar

Moustakas

Villar

C

Arcia

Pretty devastating lineup vs RHP

Little rough vs LHP

Also, Shaw at 2nd. Yikes. This still makes very little sense to me.

Maybe against the Cubs and the Dodgers as they have two lefties.

Assuming a lineup of:

Cain

Yelich

Aguilar

Shaw

Braun/Thames

Moustakas

Pina

Arcia

P

You could possibly have Shaw Thames and Moustakas all batting in a row on some nights against a righty and I actually wouldn't mind a lineup like that. It is not the best thing to do but I would rather a manager waste their best lefty on Shaw, Thames or Moustakas than on Yelich. Who knows maybe the other teams manager will gamble and save their best lefty for Yelich and allow for a RHP to throw against Shaw, Thames, and Moustakas.

I irrationally don't hate this. I'd prefer Schoop but if that doesn't work and they can score Moose I'm on board.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Archived