Brewer Fanatic

Pick a Package

Which Package would you prefer if you had to include Erceg / Ortiz / Phillips or Ray

Duffy / Merrifield

Gausman/ Schoop

Wheeler / Cabrera

I've been a pretty severe critic of Merrifield, but I think you take that package for sure. Cabrera and Merrifield are probably a push the rest of the year, but you get him for those cost controlled seasons. Duffy is also probably better than Wheeler. I think the Baltimore package is the worst of the 3 in both areas.

I wouldn't do any of them, but if I were to pick one I'd take the Gausman/Shoop package. I don't like Duffy's contract which IMO doesn't work with the Cain and Braun contracts added in. Wheeler has made strides but the injury factor is too large to ignore. I really like Cabrera but he would just be a rental, not willing to give up top 10 organizational prospect for him. Gausman may not be a real eye-catcher but is a solid starter. Don't care much for Shoop's career OBP but there is pop in that bat and he still would be better offensively than what the Brewers have at second base. Only 1+ year of control so he wouldn't present any type of major roadblock for Hiura.

Apparently KC is saying Duffy isn't available. Which doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense.

Quite simply one of the dumber things I have read regarding a team's plans. The Royals are 31-69 with a pitcher who will be 30 in December and makes $46 million over the next three seasons. This is flat dumb.

Apparently KC is saying Duffy isn't available. Which doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense.

Quite simply one of the dumber things I have read regarding a team's plans. The Royals are 31-69 with a pitcher who will be 30 in December and makes $46 million over the next three seasons. This is flat dumb.

That's my thought too. I see no logic. It's not like Duffy is Degrom, where you can see "we have no plans to trade him, but we'll listen"...type of thing, where they want teams to blow down the door to get him. He's simply not of that caliber. And right, the Royals are very unlikely to be good for at least 2-3 years, probably more. This has the looks of an Astros level rebuild.

They are saying it less than a week from the trade deadline which probably means any offers they've received have been underwhelming. Duffy still has 50+ million left on his contract, and so far this year he has a 4.40 ERA, 1.44 WHIP and his K/BB ratio is <2. I thought he had pretty decent trade value this last off-season when the WHIP 1.26 and his K/BB ratio was >3. His 2017 FIP was 3.46 and has ballooned to 4.90 this year, that's a real good way to drive your price down to nothing.

Duffy has been trending in the right direction his last few starts so he may have a bit more value, but I think it definitely is just "we haven't gotten good offers for him. We'll absolutely trade him but we're going to say we won't because we're not getting offered enough."

Archived