Brewer Fanatic

The Chris Archer Poll and Debate

Just read on mlbtr that Tampa want a package built around a young catcher and a power hitting outfielder. Nottingham and Ray plus a couple prospects in the 10-20 range would be fine with me. Ponce and diplan maybe? I don’t think that would be enough though.

I think that the Rays will want Nottingham, Ray, probably either Burnes or Peralta and likely another high ranking guy as well. For me, Burnes would be off the table. He's looked dang near dominant out of the pen, with better stuff than what I gave him credit for.

I'd probably do this deal for Archer:

Ray/Nottingham/Peralta/Carmona

That deal is going to sting, as Ray is playing like the stud prospect he is, Nottingham is the catcher of the future, Freddy has looked good and is so young, and Carmona is an uber-talented young SS. But you have to give value to get it.

I'd only do something like that for a clear TOR starter. I like Archer, but not so sure he fits that description. I think if you shopped that package around you would find someone better than Archer.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Archer more than most here seem to do. His peripherals (FIP, DRA and such) are good, and he also has pitched a lot better against opponents outside the AL East. Combine that with a better defense and a good pitching coach (Tho they've certainly been developing a lot of pitching in Tampa, so perhaps that aspect isn't as big) and I think he'll be a very good pitcher here. But with all the interest in him, I just don't see how it gets done at even close to reasonable cost.

From his lips to Stearns ears. Archer and Ramos would be electric for the Brewers this season...now that our 2B woah have been solvdd

The Brewers are indeed in on Archer....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/chris-archer-trade-rumors-final-offers-rays.html

Rays Ask For Final Offers On Chris Archer

By Steve Adams | July 30, 2018 at 6:10pm CDT

6:09pm: Despite some prior indications to the contrary, the Yankees remain involved in Archer’s market, per Andy Martino of SNY.tv (via Twitter). There are five additional clubs still involved as well, MLB.com’s Jon Morosi reports: the Padres, Braves, Brewers, and two unnamed organizations.

5:24pm: The Rays have asked interested teams to make their best and final offers for right-hander Chris Archer, reports Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. Tampa Bay has been in touch with roughly a dozen teams about Archer and could spend tonight and tomorrow morning reviewing those offers before ultimately making a call on whether to deal Archer.

Unsettling to say the least. I really don’t want to mortgage the higher quality pieces we do have for Archer.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

According to Fangraphs, Freddy Peralta = Chris Archer so far for 2018 (taking into account # of starts)... Why would we even consider trading him or Burnes or Hiura for Archer? We already have Chris Archer but with upside while the real Chris Archer is aging.... Crazy...

According to Fangraphs, Freddy Peralta = Chris Archer so far for 2018 (taking into account # of starts)... Why would we even consider trading him or Burnes or Hiura for Archer? We already have Chris Archer but with upside while the real Chris Archer is aging.... Crazy...

Yep, no reason to give him up for Archer. 43.2IP 22hits! 11.8k/9 Any improvement on walks and this kid is in Ace territory higher than Archer ever achieved/came close to. The only thing Archer will have on Peralta this season is that he can pitch through the end of the season and playoffs.

Archer's Fip is on account of his Ks and BB/9. He's still getting pounded hard, allowing more hits. He's a 1-1.5WAR pitcher being sold off as if a 4WAR pitcher.

Yep, no reason to give him up for Archer. 43.2IP 22hits! 11.8k/9 Any improvement on walks and this kid is in Ace territory higher than Archer ever achieved/came close to. The only thing Archer will have on Peralta this season is that he can pitch through the end of the season and playoffs.

Archer's Fip is on account of his Ks and BB/9. He's still getting pounded hard, allowing more hits. He's a 1-1.5WAR pitcher being sold off as if a 4WAR pitcher.

I’m not an Archer fan, but I’m curbing my Peralta enthusiasm a bit more than that. By improving his walk rate, he’d have to throw nearer the strike zone more often, thus inviting more hits. His K and swinging strike rates are already very high, so I doubt those get better to compensate being in the zone more. It’s possible (though I hate to think this) that we’ve seen his best starts as a pro already.

Yeah, not sure it would be worth Hiura or Burnes, but last I checked, you are allowed to have more than one starting pitcher in your rotation.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I don' think Brewers would include Burnes or Hiura in any offer for Archer. Burnes can help them win this year which would defeat the purpose It wouldn't shock me though if they are offering something like Woodruff, Ortiz, Nottingham and Ray and throwing in Villar and a couple million and the Rays are holding out for Peralta instead of Woodruff or Hiura instead of Ray.

If the Brewers were able to get Archer without giving up Hiura or Burnes, then I think it is quite likely we all would be very excited.

I could not agree with this more.

Agreed, there aren't many scenarios where I'd be pissed at what we gave up for Archer if the trade didn't include those 2 guys.

I think Archer is better than his stats suggest and that some of what he is doing lately is for real as he seems to be developing the change up he needs so badly. I still don't think I'd put Hiura in the deal.

They Braves have 8 prospects in the MLB top 100. If they want him bad enough there is nothing the Brewers or any other team can match.

Sure, but do you think they are going to give up a kings ransom to win a bidding war? Just because they have the most ammo doesn't mean they are going to waste it...

They Braves have 8 prospects in the MLB top 100. If they want him bad enough there is nothing the Brewers or any other team can match.

Sure, but do you think they are going to give up a kings ransom to win a bidding war? Just because they have the most ammo doesn't mean they are going to waste it...

The Braves have such a young team, talented team, they can afford to give up much more than others. I see the Braves as the Cubs of 2014. A lot of great young ML talent with a loaded farm system to get whatever they want.

They just traded their C, Nottingham could make sense. What's your max offers? I seem higher on Archer than most here but I'm still not giving up a ransom and if that's not good enough so be it. I'd like to see others but top of my head something like Nottingham, Santana, one of Peralta/Woodruff and a lower level guy. I don't think that gets close to getting it done. I'm sure someone who know more than me will come up with something I like better that might actually have a chance to get it done.

Archived