Brewer Fanatic

The Chris Archer Poll and Debate

The Padres have one of those prospect lists that score really high but you easily could look back at in 5 years and wonder why the results were so poor. They have a ton of bust potential.

You could do that right now as well, the Padres had a really loaded system 5 years ago.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woodruff is a former top 100 prospect who can throw upper 90’s. His issue is figuring out how to keep hitters off balance. They seem ready for him. He’s got to mix pitches and location better, generate some movement, and get hitters off balance. But his arm is live and he should have good value.

I’d hang on to Ray. His ability to generate extra base hits is impressive. It’s not just homers. He’s cranking doubles and triples too. And his steal percentage is high.

I’m a big believer in continually refreshing the big league roster. Adding a Ray, Hiura, Nottingham to the lineup will help rejuvenate and energize the team. There are a number of pitchers to add over time too. As a small market team, this will be very useful and not something we’ve seen.

I don’t like Archer as a match for us. There has been a lot of smoke on this so maybe it will happen. I’m rooting that it doesn’t happen unless the package is more reasonable.

The Padres have one of those prospect lists that score really high but you easily could look back at in 5 years and wonder why the results were so poor. They have a ton of bust potential.

Well yeah, but couldn't you say the same about our system except we have less upside.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Morosi reporting that the Padres are willing to part with one or two of Francisco Mejia (recently acquired from the Indians), Luis Urias and Cal Quantrill in a deal for Archer.

https://www.mlb.com/news/chris-archer-trade-rumors-value-is-rising/c-287336084

Mejia is ranked #15, Urias #29 and Quantrill #32 in MLB Pipeline's Top 100.

Morosi reporting that the Padres are willing to part with one or two of Francisco Mejia (recently acquired from the Indians), Luis Urias and Cal Quantrill in a deal for Archer.

Get the GM on the phone and take one of them away for anything they want before Tampa is the recipient of their stupid ideas.

Tampa should jump all over that if it's true. They already blew it once with Houston.

Serious question, but what the hell are the Padres doing trying to be both buyers and sellers when they are the worst team in the NL?

Padres have a loaded farm system. Those young guys are going to start emerging, and I'm guessing (just my guess) they liked the idea of a veteran innings-eater (who doesn't make a ton of money) to anchor their rotation for the next few years as the team becomes competitive.

I'm guessing the team seen how the Astros, Phillies and Cubs emerged out of long rebuilds with a talented - but young - roster. In each case, these clubs have added a quality arm or two in the process to help anchor the rotation as they emerge from the rebuild (Lester and Arrieta were free agents, the Astros pulled Dallas Keuchel out of their butts, and later added Verlander to top things off).

These clubs went from having a bad record to a good one in very short time frames. Their improvements weren't really incremental - but a big jump from around 70 games to 85-90 in one year (or at least on pace for that for the Phillies this year). I'm guessing the Padres think they have it in them to do that.

PS - I'm not saying this is a great idea. I asked that same question, and I figured I'd share what I came up with.

PS2 - Other teams have gone through this without adding a big arm - including Milwaukee and Atlanta. But Milwaukee wanted to add one - the stars just didn't align.

From Twitter account of Marc Topkin (Rays beat writer)

Hearing #Rays are at the point of weighing offers on Archer, though obviously that can be fluid. Also keep hearing broad perception that things are "different" this year regarding #Rays openness to doing a deal

From Twitter account of Marc Topkin (Rays beat writer)

Hearing #Rays are at the point of weighing offers on Archer, though obviously that can be fluid. Also keep hearing broad perception that things are "different" this year regarding #Rays openness to doing a deal

Because the see his value dropping fast if they don't trade him now? I hope that Stearns stays out of this one.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Community Moderator
It is starting to seem very likely that Chris Archer gets moved over the next two days. Lots of reports that the Padres are making a serious run at him with the Yankees also in the mix.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

If the Yanks get him maybe they’d give us CC for another playoff push.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This whole Archer to the Padres thing makes no sense .... wonder if it’s a ploy to generate more interest and higher offers ... or just plain silliness since San Diego has not and will not ever choose to rebuild or compete, thus shooting themselves in the foot over and over ... lol

This whole Archer to the Padres thing makes no sense .... wonder if it’s a ploy to generate more interest and higher offers ... or just plain silliness since San Diego has not and will not ever choose to rebuild or compete, thus shooting themselves in the foot over and over ... lol

It makes a lot of sense when you consider they have the best minor league system in the league, and can afford to give up some prospects for a controllable starter as their wave of talent reaches the bigs.

If the Yanks get him maybe they’d give us CC for another playoff push.

Will they run him through a time machine first?

He’s pitched fine this year. He’s not an ace by any means but he’s been alright. His numbers would fit right in with our staff.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just read on mlbtr that Tampa want a package built around a young catcher and a power hitting outfielder. Nottingham and Ray plus a couple prospects in the 10-20 range would be fine with me. Ponce and diplan maybe? I don’t think that would be enough though.

Just read on mlbtr that Tampa want a package built around a young catcher and a power hitting outfielder. Nottingham and Ray plus a couple prospects in the 10-20 range would be fine with me. Ponce and diplan maybe? I don’t think that would be enough though.

I think that the Rays will want Nottingham, Ray, probably either Burnes or Peralta and likely another high ranking guy as well. For me, Burnes would be off the table. He's looked dang near dominant out of the pen, with better stuff than what I gave him credit for.

I'd probably do this deal for Archer:

Ray/Nottingham/Peralta/Carmona

That deal is going to sting, as Ray is playing like the stud prospect he is, Nottingham is the catcher of the future, Freddy has looked good and is so young, and Carmona is an uber-talented young SS. But you have to give value to get it.

I think that the Rays will want Nottingham, Ray, probably either Burnes or Peralta and likely another high ranking guy as well. For me, Burnes would be off the table. He's looked dang near dominant out of the pen, with better stuff than what I gave him credit for.

I'd probably do this deal for Archer:

Ray/Nottingham/Peralta/Carmona

That deal is going to sting, as Ray is playing like the stud prospect he is, Nottingham is the catcher of the future, Freddy has looked good and is so young, and Carmona is an uber-talented young SS. But you have to give value to get it.

I'd only consider that... and consider is a stretch... if Ramos came with as well.

Archived