Brewer Fanatic

The Chris Archer Poll and Debate

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not interested in Archer at the price the Rays will want.

Have we heard what that is?

I don't think they're going to just give him away. They're probably going to want one of our top prospects and in that case, no thanks.

I'm sorry, but I don't want a two-pitch starter, whose ERA is rising and strikeout rate - while still impressive - is down.

How many years do we have to listen to how his peripherals indicate that he's an ace, when his results indicate otherwise? 500+ innings in the past three seasons (so far) and apart from the strikeouts/walks, he just hasn't produced as expected and it may never happen...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Archer's value as a trade chip is based on what has always been considered a team friendly contract. But is it really? He's an about to turn 30 year old pitcher who hasn't posted an ERA under 4 since 2015. He's owed a not insignificant $7.6 million for 2019. It goes up to $9 million for 2020, and $11 million for 2021, both team options. Because of that contract, Tampa Bay is looking for much more in return than his modest production would normally command.

If I'm the Brewers, I'd rather take on a bigger contract if it means having to give up less back. Duffy is the same age as Archer and owed roughly $15 million per year through 2021 (no options), so there's definitely more risk taking on his deal. But I'd argue he's been better than Archer in the last 3 seasons, and his deal isn't prohibitive and the added risk might mean one less prospect back to the Royals.

Is Archer any better than what we have?

This can't be a serious question, right?

Yes, Chris Archer is better than ANY of our current starting five pitchers.

I get he has to face the DH over a pitcher and he is pitching in the AL East. But isn't he also in an extreme pitchers park?

If he is better than our starters, he sure hasn't shown it lately.

And put me down for a hard no on Hiura for Archer. Now if are talking DeGrom, I can get behind that. DeGrom was looking pretty disgusted at his Mets defense last night.

Archer vs NL

2017 - 2.90 ERA

2016 - 2.51 ERA

Mind you thats only 5 starts each season

He is also having some very bad luck this year - .348 BABIP

I'm all about getting Archer, but i will not give up Huira -

Ortiz / Erceg / Gatewood sure

Archer vs NL

2017 - 2.90 ERA

2016 - 2.51 ERA

I agree that he's a bit unlucky, but his BABIP is going to continue to remain on the higher end because he continues to go up and up in failing to limit hard contact and medium contact.

Archer vs NL

2017 - 2.90 ERA

2016 - 2.51 ERA

I agree that he's a bit unlucky, but his BABIP is going to continue to remain on the higher end because he continues to go up and up in failing to limit hard contact and medium contact.

Highest hard contact rate in his career. Pitchers park to Miller Park watch that HR rate jump to a career high here.

I am in the camp that he doesn't become the Brewers best pitcher out there. Guerra and Chacin post better numbers than Archer does. Aside from the Ks(which is down for him)

I'm staying away from him still at just about any cost. Let another team ruin their minors. Read an article on him that gave the info on hard contact, and it finished off later on well also Zach Wheeler is suggested as an option...you know since the Brewers had shown interest in him in the past.

This to me is all click bait. You see the Brewers over taken by the Cubs in the division and the writer looks for possible fits(as we do) and of course easily, just tie the team to a former story and say it's an option the Brewers are looking at. End of story. Sonny Gray from the Yankees was even mentioned! :laughing :rolleyes

Where's the JA Happ suggested pull? Francisco Liriano? These are more in line with whom I'd expect targeted by Stearns while maybe giving up a Trey Supak for. You've gotta be realistic with how every one of Hiura/Burnes/Peralta helps this team either already today or for 2019 on 6years of team control. It'd be different if say one of those three played CF or 1b since you have to feel safe on Cain/Aguilar making their addition to this team blocked.

Go down the list from those 3 and you are dealing with non-headliner names at this moment. Or to put it, Other teams will easily outbid the Brewers best offer. So go for a pitcher who has some history on putting together a couple months of solid pitching in Happ or Liriano while not needing a headlining prospect to attain them.

Not interested in Archer at the price the Rays will want.

Have we heard what that is?

I don't think they're going to just give him away. They're probably going to want one of our top prospects and in that case, no thanks.

This is 18 months old, but they already turned down one really good offer.

https://www.draysbay.com/2017/1/5/14177084/mlb-trade-rumors-rays-chris-archer-houston-astros

From Tampa Bay Times article,

"Or it could be elsewhere. Among contenders scouting Archer Sunday were the Brewers, D'backs, Dodgers, Phillies and Yankees, who Tuesday moved close to adding reliever Zach Britton from the O's.

Some obviously are better positioned to give the Rays the kind of promising position players they'd like to add to the core they are integrating into the majors.

A catcher and a power-hitting outfielder would seem pretty high on their shopping list."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018/07/24/rays-kevin-cash-on-trade-market-i-think-well-be-very-active/

Is an offer of Woodruff, Nottingham, and one of Santana/Phillips/Ray close?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
From Tampa Bay Times article,

"Or it could be elsewhere. Among contenders scouting Archer Sunday were the Brewers, D'backs, Dodgers, Phillies and Yankees, who Tuesday moved close to adding reliever Zach Britton from the O's.

Some obviously are better positioned to give the Rays the kind of promising position players they'd like to add to the core they are integrating into the majors.

A catcher and a power-hitting outfielder would seem pretty high on their shopping list."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018/07/24/rays-kevin-cash-on-trade-market-i-think-well-be-very-active/

Is an offer of Woodruff, Nottingham, and one of Santana/Phillips/Ray close?

Woodruff/Nottingham/Ray would sting. If they would take Santana instead of Ray, I'd me more inclined to go that route. I doubt they would, though. Woodruff certainly didn't hurt his value with his outing on Monday. He was bringing it at 98 and hitting his spots.

Brandon Woodruff deserves a shot in a big league rotation - if the Brewers aren’t going to give it to him, then he should be traded. I’m not a fan of that, but the team has gone with Peralta, and Burnes is the best of the three - we can’t just let Woodruff sit there - he’s got value.

For me, Woodruff’s in, but the rest bugs me. What is Nottingham going to be? I really don’t know, but again, if the team isn’t ready to plug him in, he could be traded.

My problem is matching up the power hitting outfielder - maybe Santana fits, but I’d bet that would add another player to the deal. If not Domingo, Corey Ray is probably the logical choice, and that makes me very uneasy.

For those who favor, “selling high” on Ray - I’m not convinced that would be the case, and besides, Archer has become a mixed bag - I’m not sure he’s the guy I’d truly chase.

I think Archer could wind up being a steal, or a bust - if the Brewers get him, there’s no way we’ll all be happy with the return TB gets.

Brandon Woodruff deserves a shot in a big league rotation - if the Brewers aren’t going to give it to him, then he should be traded. I’m not a fan of that, but the team has gone with Peralta, and Burnes is the best of the three - we can’t just let Woodruff sit there - he’s got value.

For me, Woodruff’s in, but the rest bugs me. What is Nottingham going to be? I really don’t know, but again, if the team isn’t ready to plug him in, he could be traded.

My problem is matching up the power hitting outfielder - maybe Santana fits, but I’d bet that would add another player to the deal. If not Domingo, Corey Ray is probably the logical choice, and that makes me very uneasy.

For those who favor, “selling high” on Ray - I’m not convinced that would be the case, and besides, Archer has become a mixed bag - I’m not sure he’s the guy I’d truly chase.

I think Archer could wind up being a steal, or a bust - if the Brewers get him, there’s no way we’ll all be happy with the return TB gets.

Excellent post. A great summary of where Woodruff stands in the rotation given the presence of Peralta and Burnes. If Archer were to be acquired, that's 3/5 of a rotation without mentioning Nelson, Davies, Anderson, Chacin. I would prefer Santana being included over Ray but doubt a deal of Woodruff, Nottingham and Santana is enough. If it is, then I am very comfortable acquiring Archer.

Nottingham for sure will get his chance (or be dealt) before next year. I think we know what he'll be early on. Lower batting average/decent OBP/high K/power-hitting catcher that can play good defense. Similar to most starting catchers like your Yan Gomes, Mike Zunino, Chris Iannetta varieties of player. You just don't want a guy that is very similar to Manny Pina playing the backup role in the majors when you already have Manny Pina. Give him his minors at bats.

Woodruff I think also will, but that will also be sorted out before next season. There may be a bit of thinning of the starting options even though I think everyone loves the depth.

Community Moderator

Per Adam McCalvy Article...

The Brewers have been linked to a number of starters on the trade market, and they have had a scout in attendance for at least one of Rays right-hander Chris Archer's recent starts.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'll third this part of splitter's post, but I'll say that if you can get Archer and still have all of Hiura, Burnes, and Peralta as well, I make that deal and don't feel too terribly bad about it.

There are plenty of reasons to be concerned about Archer, but I believe that he probably makes the Brewers better. If you can get him without giving up the top level of prospects, you probably feel ok if his numbers continue to improve.

I believe Chris Archer - as long as he is not overpaid for - makes the Brewers rotation better.... AND... likely would be a better pitcher in the NL and with our pitching guru in DJ..... call it merely a hunch but as Peavey said ... if you keep the "big 3" - I think you do it feeling ok about it....

If the reports are true and the Padres are willing to part with a couple of their top ten (outside of Tatis and Gore) they can easily beat anything we can propose short of including Hiura AND Burnes (and probably even then). I doubt we see Archer in a Brewers uni.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

If the reports are true and the Padres are willing to part with a couple of their top ten (outside of Tatis and Gore) they can easily beat anything we can propose short of including Hiura AND Burnes (and probably even then). I doubt we see Archer in a Brewers uni.

That's hilarious if the Padres do that. It's like giving Hosmer 8/144 wasn't dumb enough so now they have to try to top it.

The Padres have one of those prospect lists that score really high but you easily could look back at in 5 years and wonder why the results were so poor. They have a ton of bust potential.

Archived