Brewer Fanatic

Dylan Bundy

Word has it that Baltimore is open to trading him.

He's cost controlled through 2021 season.

I think this fits the Brewers possible contending window nicely.

I prefer his upside over teammate Kevin Gausman or Blue Jay's Marcus Stroman.

I think it would take a TON to get him but think he could be a diamond in the rough.

Brewers get:

RHP Dylan Bundy

Orioles get:

OF Corey Ray

RHP Brandon Woodruff

RHP Luis Ortiz

OF Domingo Santana

If we could somehow get this trade done with either Phillips, Broxton or Tristen Lutz in place of Corey Ray, I'd prefer that.

With Peralta and Burnes future controllable pieces of rotation, I feel the Brewers should trade Woodruff and Ortiz now while they still have some prospect value.

Domingo Santana has no future playing time with the Brewers, mainly do to the emergence of Aguilar needing regular abs at 1B, pushing Braun and Thames to the OF.

Thoughts?

Huge overpay in my opinion. Bundy currently has 4.57 era. Cain isn't going to play center in a couple of years and Ray needs to be next up. Two starters and an everyday outfielder would be plenty if I am the Orioles. Ray only goes for a top line starter if I am the Brewers.

The guy gives up a ton of HR, and hasn't shown any signs he's a future ace. I'd pass at that price.

You'd acquire him on potential, assuming that the Orioles failed developing him and you can help him improve. That said, I'm not interested...not at the likely price.

Do we really need a long-term cost controlled pitcher that's probably not a TOR? We have a pretty long list of pitcher who can perform at #2/#3/#4 pitchers (I'm pretty excited about the pitching for next year, assuming nelson can pick up where he left off). Bundy is really inconsistent (but maybe he'd perform much better outside of Baltimore where pitchers always suck). The only pitcher I would spend the farm on would be Degrom as he is substantial upgrade over anything in the system and give us a really good window for the next 2.5 years. Also he would start the wild card game and pitch 2x each series in the playoffs. I don't know if I would give Bundy those opportunities.

Where would Bundy rank with our possible rotation for next year?

Nelson

Peralta

Burnes

Anderson

Davies

Guerra

Chacin

Suter

Do we really need a long-term cost controlled pitcher that's probably not a TOR? We have a pretty long list of pitcher who can perform at #2/#3/#4 pitchers (I'm pretty excited about the pitching for next year, assuming nelson can pick up where he left off). Bundy is really inconsistent (but maybe he'd perform much better outside of Baltimore where pitchers always suck). The only pitcher I would spend the farm on would be Degrom as he is substantial upgrade over anything in the system and give us a really good window for the next 2.5 years. Also he would start the wild card game and pitch 2x each series in the playoffs. I don't know if I would give Bundy those opportunities.

Nelson

Peralta

Burnes

Anderson

Davies

Guerra

Chacin

Suter

I personally think Bundy has the highest ceiling on your list with "Jake Arrietta in-his-prime", ACE potential. I don't feel the same way about Nelson and assuming he will return to his 2016 form could be fools play. I think besides Bundy, Freddy P has the next highest ceiling on your list, IMO. I love Burnes but that's not because of his ceiling, but instead because of his high floor. I think he'll be a solid #2-#3 starter with a long career. Because of that, I really don't want the Brewers to trade him.

In the last 3+ decades, the Brewers have developed as many players like that that you can count on one hand!

The shine on Bundy's potential as a TOR ace started wearing off almost immediately after he was drafted 4th overall back in 2011. Injuries are mostly to blame why he's never become what many assumed he would be.

No way do I want to trade for what he currently is and projects to be unless it's for FAR less than a ton.

Seeing the current market trends and that a rumor connects us to the Orioles, I'll revise my trade proposal for Bundy.

Brewers get:

RHP Dylan Bundy

Orioles get:

RHP Brandon Woodruff

RHP Luis Ortiz

OF Domingo Santana

I really think this makes sense for both clubs.

I like Woodruff but giving him the innings to develop in the majors is something a contending team can't afford to do as much as a rebuilding team.

Verified Member
I know he's only 25, but that's paying for Bundy as if he was already a top of the rotation pitcher, rather than the mediocrity that he has been. Lots to give up for a lottery ticket.

I know he's only 25, but that's paying for Bundy as if he was already a top of the rotation pitcher, rather than the mediocrity that he has been. Lots to give up for a lottery ticket.

If he was a TOR he'd be WAY more expensive. I like this much better than the other options referenced. He's had some bad luck this year, HR/FB is high and BABIP is higher than normal this season. Give him our defense and facing the pitcher every 9th batter and i think he can post at worst a sub 4 ERA. Look what our pitching coach has done for guys Chase Anderson and Junior Guerra. We should be targetting guys like him if he doesnr cost us a top 5 org prospect.

Seeing the current market trends and that a rumor connects us to the Orioles, I'll revise my trade proposal for Bundy.

Brewers get:

RHP Dylan Bundy

Orioles get:

RHP Brandon Woodruff

RHP Luis Ortiz

OF Domingo Santana

I really think this makes sense for both clubs.

I like Woodruff but giving him the innings to develop in the majors is something a contending team can't afford to do as much as a rebuilding team.

Why would the Brewers have to give up both Woodruff and Ortiz to get Bundy? This doesn't make any sense at all. Yes Bundy was picked 4th in the draft but that doesn't mean his value is that of both Woodruff and Ortiz plus Santana.

Santana may have low value but it isn't this low.

Ortiz and Carlos Rodriguez for Bundy is closer to Bundy's actual value.

Nelson

Peralta

Burnes

Anderson

Davies

Guerra

Chacin

Suter

I personally think Bundy has the highest ceiling on your list with "Jake Arrietta in-his-prime", ACE potential. I don't feel the same way about Nelson and assuming he will return to his 2016 form could be fools play. I think besides Bundy, Freddy P has the next highest ceiling on your list, IMO. I love Burnes but that's not because of his ceiling, but instead because of his high floor. I think he'll be a solid #2-#3 starter with a long career. Because of that, I really don't want the Brewers to trade him.

In the last 3+ decades, the Brewers have developed as many players like that that you can count on one hand!

I think Peralta's nice start has made us forget about what type of stuff Burnes has and what type of pitcher Nelson was last year. I just don't see why Peralta has more upside moving forward than either. Burnes has demonstrated better command, better velo, just as good, if not a better off-speed pitch, and he's got a better change. I do agree he's got a higher floor, but I also think he has a higher ceiling. And Nelson already has most of a year pitching like a ace(maybe a lower end ace, but still an ace) for a contender. I like Freddie as a 180 inning #3 ish pitcher...

Archived