Brewer Fanatic

David Stearns Free Pass??

Bulldogboy
Say the Brewers fail to make the playoffs and fade from the race without any kind of major move does David Stearns get a free pass?? I know he has done a great job on the whole. It just seems like he is not as aggressive in making moves that are clearly needed to take advantage of the opportunity to win now. As a lifelong brewers fan my lack of perspective haunts me. I realize Stearns does not view things through the prism of 4 playoff appearance in 40 years. That said who knows what the future brings says Jimmy Nelson shoulder?? You have to strike and he seems paralyzed to a degree. Missing out on Manny to me is a major mistake just because it was so clear of a fit. You have to find a way to make that trade happen. Trading Segura and getting rid of Scooter only to watch the middle infield become a disaster is problematic. Braun still being here is unbelievable although I know that problem was not from his watch. I am not making a case he should be gone or anything of the sort just that I don't here anything negative about the guy ever. It almost feels like Brewer fans are so impressed with the overall job he has done they are loth to review his work in real time and think was that a good move? Last year watching this team melt down I thought no way Stearns let's that happen again and here we are it's happening. The roster shuffling that has gone on especially in the bullpen is a case of Stearns being the smartest guy in the room with his 40 man roster beats 25 man roster play. He inherited Counsell so we don't really know his hiring skills as it relates to a manager which I am curious about as well. Just looking for some feedback and discussion on the job he has done. Outside of the Shaw trade and picking up Aguliar for free what is his best work?? If we miss the playoffs again is it job well done?? Or more along the lines of what's going on here?? Not looking for a fight just a discussion.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omg.

I forgot about the outrage around trading scooter because of defense even existed

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

were you part of the community here upset when he didnt sign Lynn, Cobb or Garcia this winter? are you still upset he didnt sign any of them?

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Welcome aboard Bulldogboy. His inability to land Machado was a major failure that can't be defended, especially when they were facing the Dodgers 7 times in 2 weeks coming out of the break.

This definitely should have been factored into the calculation for sure. These seven games it would be nice to have him on our side.

were you part of the community here upset when he didnt sign Lynn, Cobb or Garcia this winter? are you still upset he didnt sign any of them?

No. I am not upset at all. In fact I stated I am not looking for a fight as I think he has done well overall. It seems like you are though. I will say I had no problem with the off season in general although I thought we would trade an excess outfielder or two for a starter. I was shocked to get Cain and Yelich and not lose Braun or Santana. Santana had to have more trade value in the off season than he does now. Did not love any of the free agents.

Welcome aboard Bulldogboy. His inability to land Machado was a major failure that can't be defended, especially when they were facing the Dodgers 7 times in 2 weeks coming out of the break.

He better find a way to trade for Harper and Scherzer then really quick, too in looking at the schedule...otherwise he's asleep at the wheel, apparently.

I'm not giving DS a free pass, but at this point I'm actually more concerned if he makes a trade or two "just to make a move" before the deadline - and it winds up sending prospects away for 2018 rentals that still had longterm potential with the Brewers. If its rental pieces like Dozier, package a group of prospects that are blocked by a combination of controllable MLB players and more talented prospects at their position. He didn't fall asleep failing to land Quintana last season - he just didn't have one of the five best prospects in all of baseball to offer up for him that the Cubs did at the time. Not landing Machado has more to do with him valuing guys like Burnes, Peralta, Hiura, etc as either current or immediate future contributors to the MLB club - prospects who should be nowhere near a trade offer from a small market club for any rental.

To me, the biggest question I currently have with DS/Brewer management is how they are handling their internal pitching options. Nelson's stagnant recovery from shoulder surgery has been a huge blow to their 2018 rotation plans, IMO - unfortunate but also something that their apparent workaround was having a ton of so-so options hanging around the 40 man that could at least get you close to 5 innings of competitive innings most times out. The problem with that is Anderson hasn't been as good as last season when he was healthy in 2017, and Davies has given them nothing due to performance/injury. When their most consistent starters have been Chacin (ideal for a #5 in a good rotation) and Guerra (solid bounceback year, but still inconsistent at times as the innings pile up), they don't have anyone remotely close to what Nelson gave them last year - an anchor starter you could expect to go at least 7 IP most nights and give you a great chance to win every 5 days without having to use all your reliable late inning pen arms. With the current options they have, I wonder why they aren't strongly considering shifting Burnes into Suter's role - he could actually use the expanded innings workload to keep him in line for an opening day rotation spot next season.

It's tough getting on DS for failing to bring in every player everyone wants - his big offseason acquisitions of Yelich and Cain have proven to be quality ones. Holding onto Aguilar when most of us expected him to either be cut or traded for nothing at the end of Spring Training is an obviously good decision. Jeffress and Chacin signings look great and solid, respectively. The MIF black hole at the MLB level in the organization would look alot less bleak had Arcia just treaded water offensively in his development this year.

This definitely should have been factored into the calculation for sure. These seven games it would be nice to have him on our side.

No, it should hot have. To make a trade for a player because an opponent you play a few times in the next week or two is after that guy is the kind of short sighted (and just plain dumb) move that Stearns has avoided. The decision to not trade for Machado can be, easily, well defended and no amount of stating one's opinion as fact will change that.

If this thing completely implodes again this year then I think there will be plenty of pressure on DS (and CC for that matter). Having said that, we all knew we were entering a rebuild and we all expected that rebuild to take five years. It's year three. It's a shame Nelson was hurt this year but that was a big loss. This team has holes but it isn't that far away and there are pieces in place to fix those holes.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

He better find a way to trade for Harper and Scherzer then really quick, too in looking at the schedule...otherwise he's asleep at the wheel, apparently.

I'm not giving DS a free pass, but at this point I'm actually more concerned if he makes a trade or two "just to make a move" before the deadline - and it winds up sending prospects away for 2018 rentals that still had longterm potential with the Brewers. If its rental pieces like Dozier, package a group of prospects that are blocked by a combination of controllable MLB players and more talented prospects at their position. He didn't fall asleep failing to land Quintana last season - he just didn't have one of the five best prospects in all of baseball to offer up for him that the Cubs did at the time. Not landing Machado has more to do with him valuing guys like Burnes, Peralta, Hiura, etc as either current or immediate future contributors to the MLB club - prospects who should be nowhere near a trade offer from a small market club for any rental.

To me, the biggest question I currently have with DS/Brewer management is how they are handling their internal pitching options. Nelson's stagnant recovery from shoulder surgery has been a huge blow to their 2018 rotation plans, IMO - unfortunate but also something that their apparent workaround was having a ton of so-so options hanging around the 40 man that could at least get you close to 5 innings of competitive innings most times out. The problem with that is Anderson hasn't been as good as last season when he was healthy in 2017, and Davies has given them nothing due to performance/injury. When their most consistent starters have been Chacin (ideal for a #5 in a good rotation) and Guerra (solid bounceback year, but still inconsistent at times as the innings pile up), they don't have anyone remotely close to what Nelson gave them last year - an anchor starter you could expect to go at least 7 IP most nights and give you a great chance to win every 5 days without having to use all your reliable late inning pen arms. With the current options they have, I wonder why they aren't strongly considering shifting Burnes into Suter's role - he could actually use the expanded innings workload to keep him in line for an opening day rotation spot next season.

It's tough getting on DS for failing to bring in every player everyone wants - his big offseason acquisitions of Yelich and Cain have proven to be quality ones. Holding onto Aguilar when most of us expected him to either be cut or traded for nothing at the end of Spring Training is an obviously good decision. Jeffress and Chacin signings look great and solid, respectively. The MIF black hole at the MLB level in the organization would look alot less bleak had Arcia just treaded water offensively in his development this year.

I agree with much of this. The Burnes situation and Woodruff for that matter baffle me. The most important commodity in baseball is young starting pitching. Hader gets turned into a reliever and now with a shaky rotation we turn our number one starting prospect into a relief pitcher?? Woodruff was a top 100 prospect and now he has been on the merry go round back and forth starting and in the pen. I don't get it. Did Thor or Degrom start off in the pen?? This is an area of major concern. We won't trade Burnes for Manny but we won't let him start a game?? Would like to be in the room for these decisions to understand it.

I agree with much of this. The Burnes situation and Woodruff for that matter baffle me. The most important commodity in baseball is young starting pitching. Hader gets turned into a reliever and now with a shaky rotation we turn our number one starting prospect into a relief pitcher?? Woodruff was a top 100 prospect and now he has been on the merry go round back and forth starting and in the pen. I don't get it. Did Thor or Degrom start off in the pen?? This is an area of major concern. We won't trade Burnes for Manny but we won't let him start a game?? Would like to be in the room for these decisions to understand it.

I think it's terrible that some fans think this way. Fans like that don't even deserve a good team. Stearns has done an absolutely incredible job to get them where they are today, but instead of appreciating it, some fans let the incredible success warp their expectations. If the brewers had won 75 games last year and 80 this year, with the farm system they've built and the low payrolls during that time, fans would appreciate the progress they've made. But they won 86 last year after being on pace for 90+ most of the year, and they'll probably win 85-90 again this year after being on pace for 95+, and instead of seeing how amazing it is that they've been this good, certain fans act like it's a given that they should be a 90+ win team at this point. It's absurd to make the front office a victim of their own remarkable success, and I think it's a plague on this message board.

They have gaping holes in the lineup and rotation because they are just a few years removed from a tear-it-down rebuilding effort. You can't just plug those holes in 1 year. They spent 10 years decimating the farm system while the major league talent deteriorated to nothing. They had a terrible situation at both levels just 3 years ago at this time, with little hope for the future. And now fans cry because they can't sustain best-in-the-NL play all season instead of realizing how amazing it is that they played at the level at all. Be patient, make Walker/Swarzak type trades, develop Peralta, Burnes, Hiura, Arcia, and Nottingham, among others, and they'll be able to play like a top-3 team all year. In the meantime, being in the playoff picture was a bonus last year, and getting to the wild card game is a realistic goal this year given that the Cubs are all-in now and the Brewers are wisely setting up their best ball for the near future.

Say the Brewers fail to make the playoffs and fade from the race without any kind of major move does David Stearns get a free pass??

Fade from the race = out of wildcard playoffs by 3+ games. Then, yes, that is absolutely a free pass. In fact, better than a free pass. That is put another plus in the column for Stearns. That means he correctly determined the talent of the team was not close enough yet.

Now if we miss the playoffs by a game again, that would not be good.

No. I am not upset at all. In fact I stated I am not looking for a fight as I think he has done well overall. It seems like you are though. I will say I had no problem with the off season in general although I thought we would trade an excess outfielder or two for a starter. I was shocked to get Cain and Yelich and not lose Braun or Santana. Santana had to have more trade value in the off season than he does now. Did not love any of the free agents.

not looking for a fight either, but I think its really odd someone is trying to find negative things to justify a future state that we may or may not end up in (missing the playoffs).

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

It almost feels like Brewer fans are so impressed with the overall job he has done they are loth to review his work in real time and think was that a good move?

Milwaukee doesn't have the luxury of being able to make short sighted moves. For a small market team you need to play the long game. I am glad he didn't mortgage the future for 2 months of Machado. There are other cheaper options out there that will still provide a huge lift for this team. The best thing about having some of the worst 2B and SS production in baseball, is that any improvement will be a dramatic improvement.

If you want to criticize his moves, that's fine, but wait until after July 31st. Still plenty of time to make moves and improve this team...and oh yeah, we are still leading the wild card race so everyone just chill.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Do I think there are moves Stearns can make in the next week that would make this team a sure-fire playoff contender? Yes. Really, I think they are a playoff contender right now even if they do absolutely nothing. Many of the injured guys are going to be healthy in the next week. They aren't going to stay cold like this much longer. Even great teams go through rough stretches. This is this team's rough stretch, and they'll come out of it.

The idea that David Stearns is getting a "free pass" is nonsensical, though. Every move that he's made, from trading for Yelich and signing Cain, to calling up Nate Orf, has been scrutinized immensely, and every move has had its share of detractors. Even Yelich, for as great as he is and has been, prompted posters who were upset with the package that was given up to chime in. So if you believe that Stearns is getting a free pass from fans, I think that is incorrect.

Now, the man making the decisions, Mark Attanasio, is also a fan, and we all know he wants to win. I'm sure that he is not happy at all with this rough stretch, when we had a team that looked like a World Series contender a week before the All Star break. But I also believe Attanasio can see the forest through the trees, and knows that this team, along with the minor league system, is being built for long-term stability.

Personally, I believe this team is closer than many others do, and I'd love to see them put together a package or two of prospects and perhaps even major league talent from positions of larger depth to make a few deals for perhaps a middle infield and catcher bat, and an improvement to the starting rotation ... that aren't rentals. But it takes two to tango, and Stearns has made it clear that the Orioles were likely asking for Burnes in any Machado trade. If that deal would have happened, this board might have actually imploded.

I think it's terrible that some fans think this way. Fans like that don't even deserve a good team. Stearns has done an absolutely incredible job to get them where they are today, but instead of appreciating it, some fans let the incredible success warp their expectations. If the brewers had won 75 games last year and 80 this year, with the farm system they've built and the low payrolls during that time, fans would appreciate the progress they've made. But they won 86 last year after being on pace for 90+ most of the year, and they'll probably win 85-90 again this year after being on pace for 95+, and instead of seeing how amazing it is that they've been this good, certain fans act like it's a given that they should be a 90+ win team at this point. It's absurd to make the front office a victim of their own remarkable success, and I think it's a plague on this message board.

They have gaping holes in the lineup and rotation because they are just a few years removed from a tear-it-down rebuilding effort. You can't just plug those holes in 1 year. They spent 10 years decimating the farm system while the major league talent deteriorated to nothing. They had a terrible situation at both levels just 3 years ago at this time, with little hope for the future. And now fans cry because they can't sustain best-in-the-NL play all season instead of realizing how amazing it is that they played at the level at all. Be patient, make Walker/Swarzak type trades, develop Peralta, Burnes, Hiura, Arcia, and Nottingham, among others, and they'll be able to play like a top-3 team all year. In the meantime, being in the playoff picture was a bonus last year, and getting to the wild card game is a realistic goal this year given that the Cubs are all-in now and the Brewers are wisely setting up their best ball for the near future.

Fans like this don't deserve a good team?? Fans that ask questions?? Fans that like to talk baseball?? Fans that have sat through 40 years and no titles?? I don't get why brewer fans can't have appreciation for what is being done but ask can we do more. Lots of brewer fans are fine winning 85 games a year missing the playoffs as long as the grill is hot and the beer is cold. I don't get it. At all.

Stearns has done a great job. Fans are the ones that have elevated the expectations. He took on contracts/players (Braun) that really limit some options. At the end of the day, it’s a very flawed roster. Even with all of Craig’s questionable lineups and in game management, he’s done a good job maximizing some players talents. He’d be the one I’d question if he can get up to the next level. I have zero problems with Stearns, before our 7 game slid, looking at our record and roster and saying, “we are overachieving in many ways and don’t really have the roster to compete for a championship. Even if we get Machado/DeGrom, we don’t have it this year.” I’d be all for that. Assess your roster unbiased. I think all along 2019-2020 were his targets for going for championships. We shall see! Ride the wave. Always remember, the Brewers never panic like we do.

not looking for a fight either, but I think its really odd someone is trying to find negative things to justify a future state that we may or may not end up in (missing the playoffs).

Again. I am stating facts. If you think Stearns is doing great and you have no problem with the job he is doing fine by me. I think how this season plays out matters. If it doesn't to some so be it.

Stearns made 4 of the best moves of the off season

1. Trading for Yelich. Guy has been a stud. Number 3 in war for NL OFers

2. Signing Cain. Number 1 in war for NL OFers

3. Signing Chacin. He isn't perfect but he has been one of the better free agent pitchers at a fraction of the cost.

4. Signing Jeremy Jeffress. Way less than other reliever got

He is not playing with a full deck. He is missing what was supposed to be his number 1 and number 3 starters. Braun and Thames have both missed a lot of time. Vogt had to retire due to injury. And yet the team is right there for the playoffs. And pretty much has everyone under contract for next year when they will get a healthy Jimmy Nelson back. Stearns has made mistakes but he gets a credit not angst for where this team is right now

I have no problem with passing on Machado. The price was too high for what was obviously a rental. Machado would go to New York, and the Crew would have passed over a bunch of good prospects for... what, exactly?

My problem with Stearns is that he's been a little TOO trigger-happy

1. In 2016, it was obvious Arcia's bat wasn't ready. A regression from an .800 OPS bat at Biloxi in 2015 to a .723 OPS in Colorado Springs of all places was a sign that maybe he should have spent the whole year at AAA, and maybe a fair part of 2017 as well. Instead, we got Arcia up now, a good-field, no-hit shortstop, rather than just ride with Villar.

2. I think there was a sense of rushing in the wake of a very surprising 2017. Obviously, the rebuild went well, and was somewhat ahead of schedule, but Stearns made a couple of additions too quickly. I'd have gotten ONE of Yelich/Cain, and then not acquired Chacin, and instead tried to look through the Jungmann/Woodruff and other options in 2018. Use that to see how good the internal candidates really were. Ditto with Boone Logan: Wei-Chung Wang was probably as good an option, and much less expensive.

3. If he was going to rush, commit. When Starlin Castro wanted out of Miami, try to expand the Yelich deal to get Castro as well. His .738 OPS and 108 OPS+ would have been a boon at shortstop, or even second base.

He’s done a fine job since he’s been here. He’s made some good moves. He’s made some bad moves. The Yelich trade and Cain signings look really good but if he doesn’t improve the glaring holes elsewhere they’ll be wasted. Overall I wish the Brewers, and this started before him too, would be more aggressive with prospects. Having Burnes in the pen while Suter continues to start is a joke. And honestly he should have been more aggressive going after Familia given what Oakland ended up giving up for him. And seriously, why does Darnell Coles still have a job?

This offseason this is what I’d like to see him do:

1) Sign a veteran middle infielder, preferably one who can play SS too

2) Sign a quality reliever

3) Give Hiura every chance to earn the 2B job

4) Trade one or both of Davies and Guerra for prospects to make room for Burnes Peralta and Woodruff. If we’re arent going to use those three prospects to obtain a TOR then they have to be given the opportunity to start. Ideally the rotation opens as Anderson, Nelson, Chacin Burnes and Peralta with Woodruff next up.

5) Find a new hitting coach.

He’s done a fine job since he’s been here. He’s made some good moves. He’s made some bad moves. The Yelich trade and Cain signings look really good but if he doesn’t improve the glaring holes elsewhere they’ll be wasted. Overall I wish the Brewers, and this started before him too, would be more aggressive with prospects. Having Burnes in the pen while Suter continues to start is a joke. And honestly he should have been more aggressive going after Familia given what Oakland ended up giving up for him. And seriously, why does Darnell Coles still have a job?

This offseason this is what I’d like to see him do:

1) Sign a veteran middle infielder, preferably one who can play SS too

2) Sign a quality reliever

3) Give Hiura every chance to earn the 2B job

4) Trade one or both of Davies and Guerra for prospects to make room for Burnes Peralta and Woodruff. If we’re arent going to use those three prospects to obtain a TOR then they have to be given the opportunity to start. Ideally the rotation opens as Anderson, Nelson, Chacin Burnes and Peralta with Woodruff next up.

5) Find a new hitting coach.

These are great takes and I appreciate the feedback. This is all I was looking for. Some on this board get so defensive anytime questions get asked about how can we get better and what could we have done. Thanks!!

I have no problem with passing on Machado. The price was too high for what was obviously a rental. Machado would go to New York, and the Crew would have passed over a bunch of good prospects for... what, exactly?

My problem with Stearns is that he's been a little TOO trigger-happy

1. In 2016, it was obvious Arcia's bat wasn't ready. A regression from an .800 OPS bat at Biloxi in 2015 to a .723 OPS in Colorado Springs of all places was a sign that maybe he should have spent the whole year at AAA, and maybe a fair part of 2017 as well. Instead, we got Arcia up now, a good-field, no-hit shortstop, rather than just ride with Villar.

2. I think there was a sense of rushing in the wake of a very surprising 2017. Obviously, the rebuild went well, and was somewhat ahead of schedule, but Stearns made a couple of additions too quickly. I'd have gotten ONE of Yelich/Cain, and then not acquired Chacin, and instead tried to look through the Jungmann/Woodruff and other options in 2018. Use that to see how good the internal candidates really were. Ditto with Boone Logan: Wei-Chung Wang was probably as good an option, and much less expensive.

3. If he was going to rush, commit. When Starlin Castro wanted out of Miami, try to expand the Yelich deal to get Castro as well. His .738 OPS and 108 OPS+ would have been a boon at shortstop, or even second base.

Why in the world are you convinced Castro could play SS? Is it because he was bad when he was a SS, or that he hasn’t played here in years?

Stearns made 4 of the best moves of the off season

1. Trading for Yelich. Guy has been a stud. Number 3 in war for NL OFers

2. Signing Cain. Number 1 in war for NL OFers

3. Signing Chacin. He isn't perfect but he has been one of the better free agent pitchers at a fraction of the cost.

4. Signing Jeremy Jeffress. Way less than other reliever got

He is not playing with a full deck. He is missing what was supposed to be his number 1 and number 3 starters. Braun and Thames have both missed a lot of time. Vogt had to retire due to injury. And yet the team is right there for the playoffs. And pretty much has everyone under contract for next year when they will get a healthy Jimmy Nelson back. Stearns has made mistakes but he gets a credit not angst for where this team is right now

Good takes!! I agree with all of this although signing Cain should have meant someone someone traded from depth for another starter. Could have saved needing to sign Chacin. Not a killer though as he has been very good.

Archived