Brewer Fanatic

Sonny Gray

Without Johnson the Brewers should have zero interest in Gray unless they can make it salary neutral. I wouldn’t give up anything of value for Gray and I wouldn’t pick up a nickel of his contract over what we dump to them.

And yes, Johnson is the only reason we would bring in this guy at this point in his career and yes, DJ is elite and was his college coach. It is naive to think that wasn’t a huge factor in bringing in a project like Gray at the time.

Johnson wasn't the Oakland pitching coach in 2015 when Gray finished 3rd in the CY voting was he? Did the Yankees employ one pitching coach on the road and one at home resulting in huge home/road splits? Gray's a veteran major league pitcher who can figure out things on his own without a pitching coach making a huge difference.

Gray still had residual Johnson pixie dust from his Vandy days in 2015.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without Johnson the Brewers should have zero interest in Gray unless they can make it salary neutral. I wouldn’t give up anything of value for Gray and I wouldn’t pick up a nickel of his contract over what we dump to them.

And yes, Johnson is the only reason we would bring in this guy at this point in his career and yes, DJ is elite and was his college coach. It is naive to think that wasn’t a huge factor in bringing in a project like Gray at the time.

I personally think it’s naive to think that one coach would make that much of a difference on a professional athlete. The Brewers are interested because they think his value could outweigh the cost. Derek Johnson has nothing to do with that. If the Brewers thought the way you do, they would have no interest in Gray. That doesn’t seem to be the case.

I have no trouble eating the cost of Gray's contract... if the Yankees throw in a couple of prospects.

Stokes is too good to be given up for a reclamation project like Gray.

I wouldn't call Gray a "reclamation project." He's a good pitcher--when he's not pitching in Yankee Stadium. Thankfully the Brewers don't play their home games at Yankee Stadium.

I wouldn't call Gray a "reclamation project." He's a good pitcher--when he's not pitching in Yankee Stadium. Thankfully the Brewers don't play their home games at Yankee Stadium.

I would second that....

By Breakdown ERA W L SV SVO GP GS CG IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG

Home 6.98 4 4 0 0 15 11 0 59.1 78 47 46 11 35 45 .318

Away 3.17 7 5 0 1 15 12 0 71.0 60 26 25 3 22 78 .226

Just like Tyler Chatwood was a good pitcher when not pitching at Coors field.

Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that the Padres remain interested in acquiring Sonny Gray.

Morosi also mentions that the Padres have made no progress in a deal for Corey Kluber, with earlier reports suggesting that the Indians want a Chris Sale-esque return for their ace. He also mentions that the availability of Gray -- once considered likely to be dealt -- may be the biggest issue now, as there are concerns that CC Sabathia may not be ready for the season after undergoing heart surgery. Gray's value would go up if he's pitching in the National League, but right now, there's a good chance he stays in the New York rotation -- at least until we see where Sabathia is in terms of his readiness.

Source: Jon Morosi on TwitterJan 7 - 8:42 AM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Yankees need to crap or get off the pot regarding Gray. Cashman basically told the whole league he was going to get traded back in November, which was a pretty blatant signal that they wanted him gone. Then you see rumors that they want a top prospect or solid MLB piece for him. Forget that noise.

If I'm Stearns, I offer Thames straight up with no money changing hands. If they eat most of his contract, I offer someone like Stokes or Houser. If they balk, tell them to pound sand.

If Gray continues to struggle in NY, I wonder how long the Yankees will stick with him on their roster.

Funny how they publicly denigrate him (or at least his performance, some of which isn't out of line with how he performed) -- the sort of thing teams rarely outright do toward players -- and then ask for a mint for him in trade.

The Yankees need to crap or get off the pot regarding Gray. Cashman basically told the whole league he was going to get traded back in November, which was a pretty blatant signal that they wanted him gone. Then you see rumors that they want a top prospect or solid MLB piece for him. Forget that noise.

If I'm Stearns, I offer Thames straight up with no money changing hands. If they eat most of his contract, I offer someone like Stokes or Houser. If they balk, tell them to pound sand.

He doesn't even have a guaranteed contract, so they won't eat a bunch of salary, unless they're getting something substantial back, which they won't.

But yeah, Cashman is being a little ridiculous. I know it's all posturing, but his fellow GMs aren't stupid. Gray at this point is a nice flyer, nothing more. It's questionable whether he has any surplus value at all at 1 year of control and about 9-10M for an arby price.

Gary just signed a 1 year deal for 7.5 million, 1.5 million less than the arbitration projection. Surplus value just went up 1.5 million so throw another fringe prospect in there.

Also a note on MLBTradeRumors that the Yankees are looking for multiple high level arms that "have a legitimate chance." So it appears they are now off the "premium" type demands. I have a feeling their ask from Milwaukee would come down from the absolutely ridiculous to something like Zack Brown plus Braden Webb one of Cody Ponce or Jon Olczak. That's still an overpay from Milwaukee's end but it wouldn't be a crazy ask for the Yankees.

Zack Brown alone is a big overpay.

If that's what Cashman is looking for I'd offer his pick of Caden Lemons or Cody Ponce plus Carlos Herrera, take it or pound sound. Gray is a project, not a necessity, and not a particularly cheap project.

Zack Brown alone is a big overpay.

If that's what Cashman is looking for I'd offer his pick of Caden Lemons or Cody Ponce plus Carlos Herrera, take it or pound sound. Gray is a project, not a necessity, and not a particularly cheap project.

Still way too much...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yeah, I just don't see any way that this situation ends up with Gray becoming a Brewer. Some other team is going to overpay the Yankees for him, and I think DS is way too smart to do that for the one year that you'd have left with Sonny on your roster. Personally, I've thought all winter long that a Gray/Thames swap makes a lot of sense for both teams, but I'm guessing the Yankees think they deserve someone's Top 100 prospect in return for Gray.

About to be moved...

With their signing of Ottavino today, it's going to happen - they have no room on their 40 man until Gray is traded away.

Because of that, it wouldn't surprise me if Gray is dealt for the prospect equivalent of a bag of baseballs provided the team he's headed to is ok with picking up all of his salary. There may be a bunch of teams sort of kicking the tires on acquiring him, but I'd doubt the bidding war gets into the discussion of anything close to a top 100 prospect headed back to the Yankees - Cashman is over a barrel on this one.

About to be moved...

With their signing of Ottavino today, it's going to happen - they have no room on their 40 man until Gray is traded away.

Because of that, it wouldn't surprise me if Gray is dealt for the prospect equivalent of a bag of baseballs provided the team he's headed to is ok with picking up all of his salary. There may be a bunch of teams sort of kicking the tires on acquiring him, but I'd doubt the bidding war gets into the discussion of anything close to a top 100 prospect headed back to the Yankees - Cashman is over a barrel on this one.

Well, sounds like the Giants might be making a strong push for him. Their new GM talked about wanting to compete in 2019 (seems pretty stupid to me), so I guess a move like this would fit with what he mentioned in that interview last week. I'll be very curious to see what the Yankees get in return for him.

How the giants stumbled into those World Series titles I’ll never know. They have been run horribly forever. Maybe they’ll finish third in the west if they pull this off?
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

The Yankees org is very skilled at a manipulating the market via the media. I doubt there is a heated bidding war going on between seven teams.

It's more like the Yankees need the roster spot and are putting out the call to see if anyone wants to improve their mediocre offers. If not, they'll accept the one that's currently best of the bunch.

Archived