Brewer Fanatic

Sonny Gray

MLB Network's Jon Morosi reports that the Padres have continued to talk to the Yankees about a possible trade for Sonny Gray.

It looks like a near certainty that the Yankees will be dealing the embattled right-hander this offseason after he struggled to a 4.90 ERA during a disappointing 2018 season. The Brewers, Athletics, Reds, Braves, Rangers and Twins have all been mentioned as possible destinations for Gray, but no landing spot would be better for his fantasy value than the spacious confines of Petco Park in San Diego.

Source: Jon Morosi on TwitterDec 9 - 10:30 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Jon Morosi

Verified account

@jonmorosi

12m12 minutes ago

Source: #Brewers remain prominent in Sonny Gray talks with #Yankees. #Reds were involved earlier this offseason but have faded somewhat due to additions of Wood and Roark. @MLB @MLBNetwork

The Yankees best be lowering their demands then. I'd give up a Stokes-level prospect, but that's about it.

Not sure what I'd give up. I like Gray enough, he hasn't changed much as a pitcher. I think a change of environment might work, but is he really much different than Chase Anderson at this point? I guess I don't see him as a significant upgrade for the rotation from what we already have available for both the salary and the prospect cost. I mean many of us on here would be happy to move on from Anderson so I don't see where Gray falls into a different category. I do like that he's still able to generate ground balls even in an environment that's changed to hitting more fly balls, so if I was going to pin a reason as to why he'd be an improvement that's what I'd go with.

Gray's fWAR/bWAR over the last three seasons:

2016 = 0.2

2017 = 2.7

2018 = 1.15

Three year average = 1.35 WAR

1.35 WAR * 9 million (2019 $/WAR) = 12.15 million - 9 million arbitration projection = 3.15 million in surplus value

Role-player prospect = 5.5 million

Fringe prospect = 2.2 million

Gray is really worth no more than 1 or 2 fringe prospects. In terms of the Brewer's top 30 list on MLB.com, take out the top 20 players on the list and then we would be looking at "proper" players to include in a trade like this.

The Yankees would likely claim that the trading team would be trading for 2017 Sonny Gray and that 2016 and 2018 should be ignored. If one just pretends like 2 of the last 3 years didn't happen, then maybe his surplus value pushes up to the 15 million dollar range which could return someone like Lutz. All I can say to Cashman is good luck with convincing teams that 2/3rds of the recent data is meaningless.

Asking for a legitimate top 20 prospect in all of baseball is an insult IMO.

I wouldn't give up the worst prospect in the system for Gray because I would rather use that money elsewhere. Defintely would have rather given Wilson Ramos 2 years, 24 million than sink 9 million into Gray. Definitely would not give the slightest consideration to trading for Gray until at least I know what is happening with Grandal and maybe some bridge opportunities for second base.

Wasn't a lot of the appeal of Gray for us because Derek Johnson was his college pitching coach?

Unless the Yankees are paying almost all of his contract I'm not interested. Maybe Thames for Gray straight up but that's about it.

This exactly.

Without DJ, taking a 9 million dollar risk on Gray seems a bit foolish. I'd take him for Thames straight up, but not much more.

The appeal of Gray is that he has the realistic upside of giving you a low 3 ERA season, which is hard to find (hitting the lottery like with Miley doesn't happen every year). But he's not exactly cheap and only around for one year so I would not give up a good prospect for him.

Gray had a 3.17 ERA away from Yankee Stadium last year. That was bolstered a good bit by 3 appearances against the lowly Orioles in Camden Yards, in which he went 3-0 with a 0.49 ERA/0.66 WHIP. He also padded those stats with 8 innings giving up 1 run at Kansas City.

He got hit hard at Fenway (although many pitchers did in 2018). 5 innings, 6 earned runs.

He did put in a solid performance at Houston: 6 Innings, 4 hits, 2 walks, 2 earned runs... and at Washington he threw 5 innings, gave up 2 earned runs, struck out 7

The Rays hit him hard: a 5.19 ERA in 2 appearances at Tampa Bay.

He's worth taking a chance on. I agree with others that I wouldn't give up too much for him. Thames for Gray makes plenty of sense.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Jon Morosi of MLB.com reports that the Brewers "remain prominent" in trade talks involving Sonny Gray.

Morosi adds that while the Reds were in on Gray earlier in the offseason, he's not as much of a priority for them anymore after they added Tanner Roark and Alex Wood. A move to the National League would surely aid Gray as he looks to bounce back in 2019, but obviously Miller Park wouldn't be an ideal landing spot.

Related: Reds, Brewers

Source: Jon Morosi on Twitter

Dec 28 - 9:38 AM

Archived