Brewer Fanatic

2018-07-22: Dodgers (Wood) at Brewers (Suter) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 11-2]

Eye Black
I don't want to hear any more about Braun and his bad luck. Bad luck doesn't put runs on the board and marks in the win column. Bottom line is Kemp has been far more productive than Braun this year. That being said, Braun is an untradeable commodity.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
I don't want to hear any more about Braun and his bad luck. Bad luck doesn't put runs on the board and marks in the win column.

That’s fine, but the truth is he has experienced more than his share of it this season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Suter should minimally be the odd man out now that Peralta is coming back. I've had more than my fill of the 85 mph fastballs. I'd rather see him pinch-hitting than starting.

Perez as the odd man out when Arcia and Villar return would be welcome as well.

Braun finally making good contact, but can't buy a hit.

Remember all the Braun for Kemp rumors in the offseason and how laughable the front office found it to be?

Yes, too bad we don't have Kemp and his 1.5 WAR in through 98 games. That 2.5 WAR projected over 162 games would have been such a major boon to this team!

The front office made the right decision. As has been pointed out, Braun has had some terrible luck this season. But Matt Kemp, outside of one MVP caliber season, and one other quasi-All Star season, has been a major disappointment as a Major League player, and that ugly side of Kemp could rear its ugly head at any minute.

Per BBR, he had an 8.0 WAR in 2010. A 4.9 WAR in 2009. Since his hot start to the 2011 season, he's been a disaster. 2.8 WAR combined over the past seven seasons, and 3,009 plate appearances. Take away this season, and 1.3 WAR over a six season stretch.

That the kind of player anybody wants on this team?

Braun has come through in the clutch on more than one occasion this season, and while he's clearly nowhere near the MVP he used to be, I could easily see him getting hot for a stretch.

You really missed the point on Kemp. He's only under contract through 2019 which removes a year of commitment which in itself lightens our burden.

Also, 2.5 WAR is a good player. WAR isn't the end all be all but it's really odd that you would hitch your wagon to WAR to knock Kemp all the while Braun has a total 1.4 WAR all of 2017 and 2018.

I don't want to hear any more about Braun and his bad luck. Bad luck doesn't put runs on the board and marks in the win column. Bottom line is Kemp has been far more productive than Braun this year. That being said, Braun is an untradeable commodity.

He should work on getting luckier. I'd rather guys work on hitting dribblers that stay fair than linedrives.

I don’t think they will put Burnes in the rotation this year, but flipping roles for Suter and Woodruff probably should happen.

That won’t solve anything. Woodruff isn’t that good

I don’t think they will put Burnes in the rotation this year, but flipping roles for Suter and Woodruff probably should happen.

That won’t solve anything. Woodruff isn’t that good

He's better than the batting practice pitcher that Suter is.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Luck is a big part of baseball.....ignoring it is just silly

This reminds me of the constant back and forth we have on Chris Archer.

"Archer is a lot better pitcher than his numbers show."

"But he hasn't been."

"Well, he SHOULD be."

Luck matters, but when a player is constantly underperforming his peripherals it's time to dig a little deeper and look for reasons why instead of just assuming that its going to turn around over a long enough period of time.

Braun's career BAbip coming into this season was .331. This year, it's .236. He's ripped two balls today, and has nothing to show for it.

Kemp's career BAbip coming into the season was .336. This year, it's .364.

Going forward, it's clear that Braun is due for an uptick in his performance. He's hitting the ball hard. Kemp, meanwhile, is due for a regression.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived