Brewer Fanatic

Machado Traded to Dodgers

Eye Black
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Melvin ran this organization into the ground

Prior to Melvin's arrival the Brewers had gone 10 years since their last winning season & 20 years since their last playoff season. They were already in the ground.

Melvin (& Mark A) made the franchise relevant again & hopefully Stearns can take us to the next level.

I certainly don't view his seeming refusal thus far to budge from what he feels is appropriate value in negotiations as a weakness.

I would say that it is definitely fair to assess that Melvin both made the Brewers relevant and then attempted to hold on to an aging core too long before rebuilding. That could definitely be construed as running the franchise into the ground by some. Melvin and atanasio never wanted to have a rebuild or punt year, and that probably delayed the rebuild a bit too long.

That's okay, he had some success..... it just feels like most folks tend to look at these things in very black and white manners. 2011 was a huge success, imo.

Melvin ran this organization into the ground

Prior to Melvin's arrival the Brewers had gone 10 years since their last winning season & 20 years since their last playoff season. They were already in the ground.

Melvin (& Mark A) made the franchise relevant again & hopefully Stearns can take us to the next level.

I certainly don't view his seeming refusal thus far to budge from what he feels is appropriate value in negotiations as a weakness.

I would say that it is definitely fair to assess that Melvin both made the Brewers relevant and then attempted to hold on to an aging core too long before rebuilding. That could definitely be construed as running the franchise into the ground by some. Melvin and atanasio never wanted to have a rebuild or punt year, and that probably delayed the rebuild a bit too long.

That's okay, he had some success..... it just feels like most folks tend to look at these things in very black and white manners. 2011 was a huge success, imo.

While he gave up great talent to get Sabathia and Greinke, I would not consider those "running into the ground"-type moves. Greinke had an extra year of control when traded for (and they hoped to be able to resign him), and the return for Sabathia ended up being not all that great (Brantley was not a top prospect at the time).

Heck, after what Brewer fans went through in the '90s and early 2000s, Doug Melvin should be canonized in Milwaukee. He brought a winner back, and even though they have had a couple down years since that run, this team has never been uninteresting.

OK we've had our generational fun...time to get back to the Machado trade :)
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Interesting proposal if true. Makes me wonder if Ortiz and Phillips may be used as trade bait in another pre-deadline deal. I wouldn't give either up for a rental, though.

Good on Stearns for not budging. That would have been about the maximum I would have wanted to give up.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Interesting proposal if true. Makes me wonder if Ortiz and Phillips may be used as trade bait in another pre-deadline deal. I wouldn't give either up for a rental, though.

Good on Stearns for not budging. That would have been about the maximum I would have wanted to give up.

I'm sure the Dodgers countered with Burnes/Phillips, and Stearns said nope. Will be interesting seeing how the poo-poo platter they got from the Dodgers develops. The top guy seems pretty good, but I don't know if even he has the ceiling of Ortiz. And they could have plugged Phillips into a corner spot this year, then in CF for the next 5 years.

I'm more confident in Stearns every day

Man, the Orioles are stupid. They held out for Burnes, and Stearns held his ground, and the Orioles refused to pivot. Then they basically traded Machado to the Dodgers for the 2017 version of Brett Phillips and a bunch of filler. I'm guessing they could have had a very good starting pitching prospect from the Brewers too (Woodruff or Ortiz is my guess).

I kinda hope all those guys they got from the Dodgers bust now.

I can't see Diaz being better than Phillips and this filler stuff isn't accurate - there's multiple MLB arms in that package

I'm sure the Dodgers countered with Burnes/Phillips, and Stearns said nope. Will be interesting seeing how the poo-poo platter they got from the Dodgers develops. The top guy seems pretty good, but I don't know if even he has the ceiling of Ortiz. And they could have plugged Phillips into a corner spot this year, then in CF for the next 5 years.

Right. The scouts that are very high on Diaz are few and far between - the general consensus is he has a very good hit tool but has limited power, is average defensively and not an impact on the bases. Which means he better hit well. I think Ortiz has the higher ceiling and think Phillips is absolutely better than Diaz. Phillips is better at everything except the hit tool and his hit tool can absolutely be average MLB. I get the O's wanting to rebuild and it helps they got 3 MLB caliber players (maybe a 4th with Bannon) but those dudes are in A+ outside of Diaz while Phillips is ready right now for 5yrs in CF and Ortiz can easily be bumped to AAA tomorrow and be in MLB within a year if they let him throw more than 70 pitches since we don't. Very interesting

Right. The scouts that are very high on Diaz are few and far between - the general consensus is he has a very good hit tool but has limited power, is average defensively and not an impact on the bases. Which means he better hit well. I think Ortiz has the higher ceiling and think Phillips is absolutely better than Diaz. Phillips is better at everything except the hit tool and his hit tool can absolutely be average MLB. I get the O's wanting to rebuild and it helps they got 3 MLB caliber players (maybe a 4th with Bannon) but those dudes are in A+ outside of Diaz while Phillips is ready right now for 5yrs in CF and Ortiz can easily be bumped to AAA tomorrow and be in MLB within a year if they let him throw more than 70 pitches since we don't. Very interesting

I don't think you will find all that many scouts that are all that high on Phillips either. In any case, this may just be that the Orioles preferred the Dodgers package despite our belief that the Brewers package may have been the better one. I'm glad DS didn't panic.

I'm more confident in Stearns every day

Man, the Orioles are stupid. They held out for Burnes, and Stearns held his ground, and the Orioles refused to pivot. Then they basically traded Machado to the Dodgers for the 2017 version of Brett Phillips and a bunch of filler. I'm guessing they could have had a very good starting pitching prospect from the Brewers too (Woodruff or Ortiz is my guess).

I kinda hope all those guys they got from the Dodgers bust now.

I can't see Diaz being better than Phillips and this filler stuff isn't accurate - there's multiple MLB arms in that package

Kremer profiles as a #4-5 starter or swing guy, and Pop as a reliever, best case. Bannon and Valeria are basically nothing prospects who will be lucky to make it as utility guys. They are perhaps a step above the Nate Orf-type organizational filler types who get cups of coffee, but it isn't by much. Perhaps you see more there, as it is hard to project guys who are years away from an MLB impact.

I don't think you will find all that many scouts that are all that high on Phillips either. In any case, this may just be that the Orioles preferred the Dodgers package despite our belief that the Brewers package may have been the better one. I'm glad DS didn't panic.

Phillips scouting report has been consistent the past couple years - if you don't believe in his hit tool he's a good 4th OF and if you do he's an above avg starting CF. But he's already that right now. Not 2yrs down the road like Diaz. Phillips is above avg-plus in CF (not avg in one of the corners, most likely LF), has a cannon (not above avg), more power than Diaz (who has limited, which won't play in RF), better base runner/stealer. That's 4 tools that are easily in favor of Phillips and that's never going to change. Phillips has 26 career starts at the MLB level slashing 281/347/785 now combine that with his defense in CF and 5yrs cheap control. People here love WAR and he dropped a 1.4 in less than a month's work in a playoff race at the end of last year. Here's the story - the O's believed the hype of Diaz and that's what it comes down too. I still like the overall package they got and they decided to go with the expanded package. I get it

Now, let's go get Realmuto.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Here's the story - the O's believed the hype of Diaz and that's what it comes down too. I still like the overall package they got and they decided to go with the expanded package. I get it

Exactly! All that matters is what the Oriole folks thought. Now lets get Realmuto...........at the right price.

Kremer profiles as a #4-5 starter or swing guy, and Pop as a reliever, best case. Bannon and Valeria are basically nothing prospects who will be lucky to make it as utility guys. They are perhaps a step above the Nate Orf-type organizational filler types who get cups of coffee, but it isn't by much. Perhaps you see more there, as it is hard to project guys who are years away from an MLB impact.

Kremer is striking out 13/9 and overall his numbers are pretty impressive for the Cal League.

Bannon is more than a step above Orf - while Bannon is also playing in said Cal League which is very hitter-friendly, Orf never slugged anywhere near Bannon's .591 in the Pioneer League (also a hitter-friendly league, but Orf's Pioneer League SLG was .413). Orf hit five home runs in his four-year college career; Bannon hit 15 his junior year alone. Brian Dozier was an 8th round pick just like Bannon; I'm not comparing Bannon to Dozier (yet), but Dozier is a closer comp to Bannon than Orf.

There aren't really comps in the Brewers system for these guys - I'm struggling to think of a Brewers minor league SP who had as high of a K rate as Kremer, even at a lower level. Peralta did last year, but it was at a higher level (AA). Hader did in Rookie ball, but as a reliever - his K rate came down as a starter. Burnes, Ortiz, Woodruff, Brown, Medeiros... none of those guys did, even at a low level.

I'm not terribly sold on Diaz, he's benefiting from playing in the Cal and Texas Leagues too. But he's a different player than Phillips - Phillips is a true CF with a plus-plus arm who strikes out a lot, Diaz is a corner OF with a better hit tool.

• 1 month later...

Archived