Brewer Fanatic

Machado Traded to Dodgers

Eye Black

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just as I mentioned a couple hours ago - if it's a 5 player deal there's no way Diaz *and* May were included. So it's Diaz + 4 (not including May or Lux). Dodgers viewing Diaz just as they did De Leon....overrated by MLB prospect rankings thus making them part of deals because anybody they believe to be elite isn't traded

Very happy this is finally done and over. Was really worried we were going to do something really dumb.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator

From Jeff Passan...

The return to the Orioles for Manny Machado: OF Yusniel Diaz, 3B Rylan Bannon, RHP Dean Kremer, RHP Zach Pop and 2B Breyvic Valera.

Diaz is the only top-100 type. Kremer could be a dude. Bannon undersized 3B crushing in Cal League. Pop is a reliever, Valera 26-year-old in AAA.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Very glad we didn't pay this price after the last week. I'd still give up a good amount for Realmuto since that drastically improves us this season as well as the next two. Outside of that, I don't see much point of getting any rentals. It's a year where we need to get guys healthy again and perhaps we sneak in. As few admitted before this disaster of a series in Pittsburgh we're simply not there yet, so let's get our homegrown stars in the rotation and Hiura/Ray on board and then go "all in".
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Wow, that's actually a really underwhelming return after Diaz. Valera is pure filler, nothing more. Kremer and Pop are kind of intriguing arms but no sure thing. Bannon is probably the most interesting of the other 4 but an older High A guy leaves no sure thing he'll be anything.

I'm not saying we should have beaten the offer but we could have fairly easily.

Getting a top 100 for a rental, even Machado, is crazy to me. It clearly would jave taken a Hiura, Burnes, or Peralta, and I would rather not.

Hope he starrts his Dogers career 0 for 16. And then slumps a bit longer. After that, whatever.

The more I see these deals, the more I am impressed with KC's run of success. Guys like Diaz just mean so much more in small market systems that you can almost never really go for it without significantly hurting your long-term potential. I hope the Brewers are the Royals of 19 and 20 or 20 and 21, with the caveat that we do better at consistently developing and drafting players.

Wow, that's actually a really underwhelming return after Diaz.

Agreed. Baltimore seemingly went for quantity over quality here. Well, good luck, hope it pans out for them. I do not look forward to the inevitable Machado heroics this weekend at Miller Park.

A dodgers fan site had them ranked 11th, 77th, 50th, 56th and >80 going into 2018 with the issue with Diaz his likely inability to continue in CF due to poor range, while his bat doesn't play to a corner OF position.

As Adam said, not really a very impressive group. Broxton for Machado, would probably have been a better deal...

Getting a top 100 for a rental, even Machado, is crazy to me. It clearly would jave taken a Hiura, Burnes, or Peralta, and I would rather not.

Hope he starrts his Dogers career 0 for 16. And then slumps a bit longer. After that, whatever.

The more I see these deals, the more I am impressed with KC's run of success. Guys like Diaz just mean so much more in small market systems that you can almost never really go for it without significantly hurting your long-term potential. I hope the Brewers are the Royals of 19 and 20 or 20 and 21, with the caveat that we do better at consistently developing and drafting players.

They rented Darvish last year for a deal headlined by Calhoun who I believe was also a top 100. I get it. All rentals aren't equal. The truly elite ones are short in supply and every contender is looking for that edge. So its supply and demand, I can understand giving up some quantity and a single top 100 if you want to roll the dice that it'll make the difference between a NLDS and World Series.

Of course, even with the benefit of hindsight I say that the Cubs giving up Glebyer Torres to rent a reliever for a couple months is insane.

Our equivalent would probably have been too costly. The Dodgers can just pay Machado in the off-season and buy someone else, so good with sitting this one out.

That didn't work for them with Darvish and probably won't work with Machado who prefers to go to New York. Maybe they're banking on him falling in love with L.A. and preferring to stay, but there is a good chance they're renting him too.

With seager likely to return healthy at SS and Turner at 3b, I doubt they will pay for machado to stay there...truly a rental for the playoff push this year

Turner could play 2B

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the return here. Stearns could've beat this if he wanted to, without including Hiura, Burnes, or Peralta.

Doubt it, not if they valued the headliner the most. Diaz is at least on par with Burnes, value-wise. Good chance they valued Diaz over Burnes.

Brewers have a swing and miss offense and now they have a swing and miss GM to go along with it.

Curious, is every other GM of a contender who didn't outbid the Dodgers for Machado a "swing and miss GM?" Cashman, Theo, Hazen, Klentak, all of them? Or just Stearns?

Archived