Brewer Fanatic

Belling's solution to fix the brewers

patrickgpe

Adopting these strategies would add about 10 losses to what they'd have now if they did nothing.

Look, I'm an idiot too. How come I don't get my own media outlet to express stupid, uninformed ideas?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hold on. That means if the Crew is in the playoffs, then he'd not be an option if he's reached his 80 more innings figure?

That is correct. It would be nice for Gallardo to be healthy next year, and the year after that, and the year after that. And while there is no way to guarantee he will be 100% healthy in the years that follow, you can at least reduce the chance he'll be hurt by not overworking him as a 21-year old.

This might be the Crew's one shot at a World Championship, and we're counting innings. That makes less sense that relying on a tennager's Camaro to save the day.

This year isn't Milwaukee one shot or best shot to win a WS. They are going to have three or four good chances, and they should have a better team with a better shot next year. It might be nice to have Gallardo around to play next year.

And even if this were Milwaukee best shot, why sabotage next year when there is no promise for this year?

It would be a shame to have Gallardo turn into Neugubauer II, especially because management felt this was the teams only chance to win.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Didn't he say last year that we needed to dump Sheets and name Cappy our "Ace"? And now he thinks Cappy should be replaced by a 21 y.o.? (da-da-dum)
I do remember a thread with that discussion way back when. It could have been Mark, but something tells me it was Bill Michaels.

I was hoping that we could discuss his opinion as we would discuss anyone who writes a column or posts on this board.
Yeah, it's disappointing to the original poster when a thread goes in a direction that s/he didn't expect. But part of the reason is probably that:
  1. Belling is such an easy target.

2. We've already discussed Capuano, Suppan, and Yo's innings limit quite a bit.
You might invoke more responses on these concepts if you can detail more of what Mark actually said.

I'm curious to know if he acknowledged Yo's innings limit at all. For instance, did he say it was a bunch of bunk?

The unique one is the 'insurance' second baseman. Without more detail, I assume he isn't necessarily suggesting that the team replace Rickie. Still, the thing that's odd is that 2B is probably the deepest position on the major league club.

clancy, I think one of the reasons for economizing on Yo's innings now is that the team can drop that concern in September and October.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

There was no mention to Yo's innings at all. He simply stated that Yo is one of the best 5 starters on the team and he should be in the rotation. There was no suggestion on who he would replace in the pen by calling up Parra. (pronounced his name incorrectly as well). Regarding Weeks, he only suggested acquiring an IF for when Weeks needs to sit out more games with the rest, there was no suggestion to permanently replace Weeks in the lineup.

This was not a long segment so there wasn't that much more to it. He did say that he advocated bringing up Braun and Gallardo and those moves worked out, so these 3 would as well.

Random comment. Baseball Prospectus is giving free access this week so I checked out there PECOTA cards. Coming into this year Yo's number one comp was Jake Peavey. His other comps were pretty good too he had some flameouts in there but you'd expect that with a young pitcher. His top 10 comps

Peavey

Rich Harden

Kyle Davies

Chad Billingsley

Scott Kazmir

Brad Penny

Clint Everts

Bob Moose

Joel Zumaya

Carlos Zambrano

Basically that list tells you if you can keep him healthy he'll be a perennial All-star player. That's an incredibly strong motive not to Cal Eldred the kid. As much as we malign the 90's there were a number of OK teams in there that challenged for .500 records There biggest problems were bad bad starting pitching and a OK bullpen that ended up over exposed by the second half contributing to this history of hot starts and slow fades. It is reasonable to believe that a Cal Eldred pitching like he did as a rookie would have made a pretty big impact on a couple of those teams.

Quote:
We're tied for the best record in the NL... what are we "fixing"?

this team has played 1/3 of a season (56 games) since starting 24-10 and is 4 under 500, including laying an egg during a 2-5 stretch against two pretty bad teams. There is at least some cause for concern i think.

Quote:
It would be a shame to have Gallardo turn into Neugubauer II, especially because management felt this was the teams only chance to win.

...or Kerry Wood II

...or Mark Prior II

...or Cal Eldred II

...or any of the Marlins pitchers who are hurting this year.

Completely agree.

As has been said to death, there is a proven track record for young pitchers who get used too much early in their career. Yo-Yo is going to be in the rotation in September when it REALLY counts.

The Brewers are doing the smart thing by gradually increasing his innings year-by-year. Next year he'll probably be in the 4th starter slot, then in 2009 and beyond, he'll be # 1 or # 2.

P.S. Sorry for continuing to take this thread in the wrong direction.

Quote:
A couple of weeks ago, Belling hinted that the Cubs would win the division. He's a genuine pessimist when it comes to sports and his insight stems from emotion, not logic.

You could say this about his insight into politics, or pretty much everything as well.

I wish I had emotional appeal to thousands of listeners every day. That way I could become a millionaire, and all I would contribute to society is complaining.

Quote:
Look, I'm an idiot too. How come I don't get my own media outlet to express stupid, uninformed ideas?
Because Belling is a louder idiot. Looks like it's time for you to pump up the volume!

EDIT: Besides, bf.net is a media outlet! Express away! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If Gallardo is kept in the bullpen for the rest of the year, he'll be able to go with the Brewers to the playoffs. Depending on his total innings, they may be a little careful with him in the first and/or second rounds, but if he's at 180 IP going into the World Series, they might be able to push him an extra few.

It's been explained many times on these boards, so I'm as surprised as you every time it's suggested to send him back down to save his arm.

i never suggested pitching him 350 innings this season. Everyone keeps saying "well this way we can use him in the playoffs" and "at least he wont get hurt now". We are barely over the halfway point in the season. We are not in the playoffs yet. I was suggesting replacing Vargas and Bush with Gallardo and Villanueva to help get us into the playoffs. Right now we have a 4.5 game lead which about 2 weeks was 8 games. There is no guarentee we'll be there in October so let's not base our entire strategy on having him available for the playoffs quite yet. Also too, who's to say he wont slip on a baseball and break him arm tomorrow. Now all the innings we are saving him for arent getting used because he got hurt anyway. If we use him as a starter and he reaches his magical inning total, then shut him down. But I just dont see why trying this hard to limit the innings of a young pitcher with no injury history jsut because other pitchers got hurt before. I'd be willing to guess injuries have much more to do with flawed mechanics than the number of innings pitched. The injury is going to come if you have flawed mechanics. It'll just come later if you limit his innings

Quote:
I'd be willing to guess injuries have much more to do with flawed mechanics than the number of innings pitched.
You'd be quite wrong. Just ask pitching coach's darling Mark Prior. Young arms not ready to throw big innings, then run out to do so, get hurt. Period.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote:
Wow, what a genius! I was totally caught by surprise that they were actually good.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Now I'm curious. Did he call "Braun" "Brown" and "Guy-r-dough" "Ga-lard-o"?

this team has played 1/3 of a season (56 games) since starting 24-10 and is 4 under 500, including laying an egg during a 2-5 stretch against two pretty bad teams. There is at least some cause for concern i think.

So, if you take out a team's good stretches, they will not have a very good record? Go figure.

You can do that for every team in MLB, by the way.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd be willing to guess injuries have much more to do with flawed mechanics than the number of innings pitched.

There have been numerous studies that have been done on pitchers, and they have found that those young pitchers who have had significant increases in innings pitched between one year and the next are more likely to be injured. The Brewers are hardly the only team to do this.

All teams are doing is playing the probabilities. You are right, Gallardo could slip on dugout steps tomorrow and break his arm, or bump his head and decide he wants to be a rental car sales agent. And he might pitch 220 innings this year and have an awesome career.

But why go against the odds? This team is built to have a chance to win over several years, not just this year. It would be too bad if the overworked him this year, didn't win anything, and they Eldreded him for the future.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Quote:
He's a genuine pessimist when it comes to sports

I wonder why that is? Our professional sports teams have been phenomenally successful. It seems like just yesterday that the Brewers almost won the World Series and now that I'm pushing 40, I have fond memories of the Bucks winning the NBA championship when I was three months old.

I'm no regular listener of his show,but i did here him talking about the Brewers and he put out the gem that the most important player on any baseball team is their closer.He followed that up by saying the the Brewers offense would be bad this year because we wouldn't have a .300 batting average hitter.

That's all that i exactly remember from his commentary,but i do recall he also said some other pretty dumb things and wasn't impressed in the slightest with his baseball views.

Archived