Brewer Fanatic

Whit Merrifield

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would assume Hiura becomes the primary second baseman at some point in 2019. So Merrifield is the primary second baseman for probably a month or so and then plays 4 days a week between the OF and second base.

Unless they acquire Merrifield and are able to include Hiura in a package for deGrom during the off season, but then you're still probably taking out 4 of your best 5 prospects for those 2 trades.

The Royals are not smart.

Yeah, the Royals are not going anywhere in 2019, so why retain him?

I assume he is a home grown player, so there is that.

He also is not eligible for arby until 2020. So he is an extremely cheap player. So I assume the Royals will try to milk another year before trading him.

• 2 months later...

Dangle a Ray/Davies/Williams centered package and you might get Royals attention.

I'd like to add Whit. Good right handed, contact bat, good avg, good speed. He can play multiple positions, especially nice when Hiura is deemed ready. He would be under control for four more years, right? I like the idea of trying to find a another solid long term piece. Seems like a good fit. Never sure what the Royals are looking for, though.

Not a single top 100 prospect? Doubt the Royals even stay on the line with an offer like that/

That's not fair. There's no way Ray won't be ranked in the Top 100 the next time it comes out. None.

I do agree, though, that it would likely take more to get him. But no, the Royals won't hang up, because teams don't do that. This isn't Moneyball.

The only way I think you could add Whit without Hiura is including one of Burnes/Peralta, adding Ray plus a pretty darn good 3rd prospect.

If you could get it done with Peralta+Ray+Erceg, I'd consider that to be realistic, but on the light side and fortunate to get it done without Hiura.

I hadn't checked Merrifield's number in a while, but wow, what a year he had. .367 OPB, .807 OPS, 45 steals, +18 DRS and Fangraphs baserunning component has him at a +7.4 Put up an .800+ OPS while only hitting 12 home runs. He was helped out by a MAYBE lucky .352 BABIP number (speed should always help this number), but on the flip side of the lucky coin, he only had a 6.5% HR/FB ratio (which will probably always tend on the low side for him).

Always have to have some doubts about late-bloomers but 2017 doesn't look like it was a fluke for Merrifield.

The only way I think you could add Whit without Hiura is including one of Burnes/Peralta, adding Ray plus a pretty darn good 3rd prospect.

If you could get it done with Peralta+Ray+Erceg, I'd consider that to be realistic, but on the light side and fortunate to get it done without Hiura.

I agree that acquiring him will require trading players of significant value. I believe too much in Hiura at this point to think that giving up good talent for Merrifield would be worth it.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Patience will win the day. If we want a long stretch of competing, then patience is required to let these young bucks get up and get established.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Patience will win the day. If we want a long stretch of competing, then patience is required to let these young bucks get up and get established.

Yes, but....

Much of the foundation of this team was built on trading for controllable MLB players like Shaw and Yelich.

I'm not comparing Whit to them, just saying lf you think he can be the player he's been the last 2 years for the Royals for the next 4 in a Brewer uniform, there is certainly precedence for it.

I think Whit is going to be too expensive to be the right move at this time. But at the same time I think he's got everything that people have been saying we need for next year. He plays 2B, with the versatility to play all over the outfield and probably 3B too for when/if Hiura gets here. Good on base skills and doesn't strike out much. RHB with a career .888 OPS against lefties, Good defender and a very good base stealer. Oh, and has 4 years of team control remaining.

So while I think it's unlikely we can get him without giving up too much of our young pitching, it's definitely someone the team should check in on regularly. Perhaps some other minor league pitchers take a step forward and open up room to trade an arm or two. Perhaps the Royals really like some prospects that the Brewers aren't as high on. Perhaps something else happens that makes a deal possible.

Yes, but....

Much of the foundation of this team was built on trading for controllable MLB players like Shaw and Yelich.

I'm not comparing Whit to them, just saying lf you think he can be the player he's been the last 2 years for the Royals for the next 4 in a Brewer uniform, there is certainly precedence for it.

If it includes Hiura, they’re idiots. Purely simple.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yes, but....

If it includes Hiura, they’re idiots. Purely simple.

I think regardless of what they do, the current regime has proven that they are not idiots.

I'm not saying they will or should include Hiura on anything. But I am saying I would trust thelr judgment completely.

I think a year ago the idea of trading Brinson as one piece for Yelich would have been a pretty silly concept to most. Brinson was our CF of the future and the only way he was being traded was for controllable pitching.

Brinson and Hiura aren’t even in the same world as hitters and the red flags of injury were well documented with Brinson. And yes, they’d be considered idiots to me to move on a player of his hitting ability when that is exactly what they lack through their system and at a position of need.

Brinson and Hiura aren’t even in the same world as hitters and the red flags of injury were well documented with Brinson.

They were pretty similar in prospect ranking and trade value, however. Very similar, actually. And I'd say Hiura definitely has some red flags of injury as well.

Again I am not saying they should trade Hiura for Merrifield, or even trade Hiura at all. I love Hiura. But I like to think that this FO always keeps every door open. For all we know their feeling after 2018 is that Hiura is a DH only in the future who will require TJ at some point and they'd prefer to trade him high. They are a lot better able to evaluate these guys in depth. We just don't know.

Brinson and Hiura aren’t even in the same world as hitters and the red flags of injury were well documented with Brinson.

They were pretty similar in prospect ranking and trade value, however. Very similar, actually. And I'd say Hiura definitely has some red flags of injury as well.

Again I am not saying they should trade Hiura for Merrifield, or even trade Hiura at all. I love Hiura. But I like to think that this FO always keeps every door open. For all we know their feeling after 2018 is that Hiura is a DH only in the future who will require TJ at some point and they'd prefer to trade him high. They are a lot better able to evaluate these guys in depth. We just don't know.

Prospect rankings mean very little to me as they’ve been so unreliable in so many ways. Watch Hiura hit and watch Brinson hit. It’s not close.

Brinson and Hiura aren’t even in the same world as hitters and the red flags of injury were well documented with Brinson. And yes, they’d be considered idiots to me to move on a player of his hitting ability when that is exactly what they lack through their system and at a position of need.

I hope you are right and he's our 2B for years to come.

Yet.....

Hiura hit .272 with 6 HR at AA in 73 games. What makes you so confident that he can hit well in the majors? As minor league hitting prospects, they are in the same world as another has noted with rankings, if not with milb stats, where Brinson has the edge. Brinson would have the edge with defense, as well, until Hiura proves himsellf at 2B.

I'm pumping the brakes until Hiura show me a good 2019 at AA or AAA. You may be right with him, but I need to see more.

Yet.....

Hiura hit .272 with 6 HR at AA in 73 games. What makes you so confident that he can hit well in the majors? As minor league hitting prospects, they are in the same world as another has noted with rankings, if not with milb stats, where Brinson has the edge. Brinson would have the edge with defense, as well, until Hiura proves himsellf at 2B.

I'm pumping the brakes until Hiura show me a good 2019 at AA or AAA. You may be right with him, but I need to see more.

That .272 is 30 points better than the league average. And would have put him in the top ten of batters in that league. But to answer your question is that it is the way the ball jumps off his bat. I remember the sound even in spring training games. It’s just different. He’s going to hit. Hopefully it will be in Milwaukee.

Yet.....

That .272 is 30 points better than the league average. And would have put him in the top ten of batters in that league. But to answer your question is that it is the way the ball jumps off his bat. I remember the sound even in spring training games. It’s just different. He’s going to hit. Hopefully it will be in Milwaukee.

For what it's worth, I do agree with you on Hiura. I love the guy, think he is going to have a very special bat at a position we need. He's destroying the AFL right now. He's about ready, at least bat-wise.

I just have a ton of faith in Stearns where even if I didn't agree if they moved Hiura, I'd be thinking, "They HAVE to know something we don't." . That's all.

Archived