Brewer Fanatic

Whit Merrifield

What about Ortiz, Phillips, and Stokes for Merrifield. Maybe add in a Gatewood or Supak to get it done?

It's an overpay at Ortiz and Stokes honestly. 29, with a rather lacking history prior to last season and this year thus far.

Mlb has this projection for him the remainder of the season:

G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

62 253 33 69 102 16 1 5 25 18 0 47 10 5 .273 .324 .403 .727

Sure, then you have him for another 4? 5 seasons? but he's not a big hitter likely around .750 OPS with age decline in all of those years. He's not elite or even above average defensively. I can't find him even being a top 20 in the Royals system prior to advancing to the majors. His stats are on the high end being a 1month heater. He's not an 800 OPS hitter. In no form does his bat play as an OF(the Hiura takes over 2nd and he just moves to OF) Not a SS. Certainly not a 3b. He's a target to modestly if at all, improve 2b production.

So a big no on sending these better prospects for a small if any improvement.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't like his name.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I want no part of Merrifield at some of the prices you are all suggesting. This is a 30 year old guy who has had 1 decent year. 3 for 1, 4 for 1? I run as far away from that as I can.

we need to collect all the multi-position players we can! sign me up1

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I wouldn't say that is light. Ray is a former 5th pick in the draft who is having a very nice season. Meideros is another former 1st rounder pitching very well in AA. Of course, we all know Brown is pitching great at AA as well. Just because a deal doesn't include Burnes or Hiura doesn't mean it is light. This one would sting.

We will never get 4 years of a 4 WAR player who can play multiple positions for that package. No way.

People still using WAR is hilarious. You know who another 4 WAR player is? Madison Bumgarner. Therefore Whit = Bum (get it?)

Whit is about to turn 30 and 80% of his career games are at 2b. People act like he's Marwin Gonzalez playing a different position every night. Prior to this year he's hit above 288 TWICE in his career - ages 25/28 in PCL. Prior to this year he's had an OPS above 784 THREE TIMES in his career - ages 25/28 in PCL and age 25 in AA being 1yr older for level.

His 2017 BA/OBP with his 2018 SLG is what to expect - 285/330/760 with a bunch of doubles and 8-10HR is what Whit is because that's who he's always been. That's who he was until 9 games ago as well. He doesn't have a track record of playing at this level because he's playing over his head (just like he was last year in the HR dept) yet somehow people are buying into him being this 124 wrc+ player for the next 4yrs through age 33.

Whit is a solid player no doubt. But people wanting to give up 3 Top 12 players in our org for him is insanity. And even more insane is people wanting to give away a combined 7-8 of our Top 12 for Whit and deGrom. What an absolute nightmare that would be come 2021.

I think Hiura's potential to be an impact bat is something the Brewers really need, and acquiring Merrifield would likely be to play 2B for years to come, so at that point you're looking to trade Hiura for pitching. All things being equal, I'd rather we keep Hiura and acquire pitching with other prospects, even if that means the pitching acquisition isn't as good as one we could get by including Hiura.

If somehow we could get Merrifield for a price that allows us to deploy him more as a super utility Hernan Perez type, I'd be much more for that, but I'm guessing the Royals will price him high enough that that won't be feasible.

I'm not really convinced the Brewers need to expend all their top prospects to lock up a "TOR" pitcher for a few years. I'd rather give it a shot and hope that Nelson returns to his 2017 stuff or one or two of our top pitching prospects turn into reliable mid-to-top of rotation arms. I just prefer that approach given the talent in our system.

The only way I want Whit is if we can get him affordably, and if we can turn Hiura into an Ace starting pitcher.

That echos my thoughts as well.

That might be the plan. In fact with Machado gone, the only significant impact moves are to acquire an ace, assuming Hiura can be key piece, and then upgrading with a 2-3 year better than average starter at a position of need. Gives them a shot at having a starter to win a Wild Card play in game this year and upgrades the team for next 2-3 years.

One note, Danny Duffy has been on a real nice run. He's allowed no runs in 3 of his last 5 starts, and 4 of his last 7, and one run in another. Is he a genuine Ace? Maybe not, but since May 24, he's been terrific.

Duffy/Merrifield as a combo?

The only way I want Whit is if we can get him affordably, and if we can turn Hiura into an Ace starting pitcher.

That echos my thoughts as well.

That might be the plan. In fact with Machado gone, the only significant impact moves are to acquire an ace, assuming Hiura can be key piece, and then upgrading with a 2-3 year better than average starter at a position of need. Gives them a shot at having a starter to win a Wild Card play in game this year and upgrades the team for next 2-3 years.

One note, Danny Duffy has been on a real nice run. He's allowed no runs in 3 of his last 5 starts, and 4 of his last 7, and one run in another. Is he a genuine Ace? Maybe not, but since May 24, he's been terrific.

Duffy scares me. Inconsistent seems to be his M.O. - And hes expensive as well. I know 14 mil this year but isn't he signed for 3 more years? Or is it 3 total? I suppose if he and Merrifield came together that would be ok, might soften the cost blow if you combined the two... Probably get away with offering a Woodruff, Broxton/Phillips, Ray, Brown, and some lower guys as well.... But that might be too much from our end even though it would be "fair".

For those who think Whit would be cheap:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/trade-rumors-abreu-brewers-bosox-twins-royals-dodgers-brach-treinen.html

"An executive" had suggested it would take a headliner of a top 10-15 MLB prospect, plus two good prospects upcoming in the Rule 5 crunch, to get it done.

Now obviously, we aren't making that deal, but no, a couple prospects in the organizational 11-20 range isn't going to cut it.

Jesus...I realize Whit Merrifield’s value...but a Top 15 guy? Merrifield has put up great stats the last two years, but he isn’t a super special bat. I don’t see a team giving up a can’t miss prospect for him. I find it much more believable they get a lesser centerpiece, but with better secondary pieces. That’s the price of versatility and control I guess.

I will say I find it funny, as a whole, the forum gets highly offended if you question Aguilar and mention regression. However Merrifield is what he has been his entire career. All his worse stats and anytime a stat was higher it is a fluke. Weird how that works.

Regardless I’m not giving up Keston Hiura in a deal for Whit Merrifield. I think Merrifield will be a really nice player going forward, but there isn’t a track record there to make me super comfortable. He also has not had consistent stats his two good year so far. Last year the power was there...now it isn’t. Now the OBP skills are there...and last year they weren’t. That’s hard to trust and give up a premium prospect for. Especially one that will be ready next year and plays the same exact position.

Jesus...I realize Whit Merrifield’s value...but a Top 15 guy? Merrifield has put up great stats the last two years, but he isn’t a super special bat. I don’t see a team giving up a can’t miss prospect for him. I find it much more believable they get a lesser centerpiece, but with better secondary pieces. That’s the price of versatility and control I guess.

I will say I find it funny, as a whole, the forum gets highly offended if you question Aguilar and mention regression. However Merrifield is what he has been his entire career. All his worse stats and anytime a stat was higher it is a fluke. Weird how that works.

Regardless I’m not giving up Keston Hiura in a deal for Whit Merrifield. I think Merrifield will be a really nice player going forward, but there isn’t a track record there to make me super comfortable. He also has not had consistent stats his two good year so far. Last year the power was there...now it isn’t. Now the OBP skills are there...and last year they weren’t. That’s hard to trust and give up a premium prospect for. Especially one that will be ready next year and plays the same exact position.

I just don't see Merrifield getting dealt for the same reason that there's no real consensus on Merrifield here.

The Royals see Merrifield as a controllable and productive 4 WAR player who happens to be a late bloomer. Other teams see Merrifield as an unproven and possibly flukish player. The gap in perception is just too much for two teams to overcome.

Duffy scares me. Inconsistent seems to be his M.O. - And hes expensive as well. I know 14 mil this year but isn't he signed for 3 more years? Or is it 3 total? I suppose if he and Merrifield came together that would be ok, might soften the cost blow if you combined the two... Probably get away with offering a Woodruff, Broxton/Phillips, Ray, Brown, and some lower guys as well.... But that might be too much from our end even though it would be "fair".

Just looked and Duffy is 3 more years after this one at about 15 year. So basically a 3/46 contract. After the bad start he's been good lately. Has clear talent and ability to go deeper in games, which we need of course. Get him with our really good pitching coach and I'd think there's a good chance you can get some good production out of him and hopefully more consistency. Maybe that contract reduces the prospect price significantly so KC can save money thus making him a cheaper (prospects-wise) alternative to Archer. If they have a crazy ask though, of course just move on but seems logical to kick the tires on him.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/trade-rumors-abreu-brewers-bosox-twins-royals-dodgers-brach-treinen.html

"An executive" had suggested it would take a headliner of a top 10-15 MLB prospect, plus two good prospects upcoming in the Rule 5 crunch, to get it done.

Now obviously, we aren't making that deal, but no, a couple prospects in the organizational 11-20 range isn't going to cut it.

A high value, because they can. Hard pass, this guy just isn't that good.

I certainly wouldn’t pay a big price for him but if you think Yelich is a star, then I’d think you’d feel the same way about Merrifield.

I certainly wouldn’t pay a big price for him but if you think Yelich is a star, then I’d think you’d feel the same way about Merrifield.

Hmm, where to begin. Yelich is 26 while Merrifield is 29, so while Yelich still has a tick of upside and hasn't yet hit his physical peak...Merrifield is on the way down. Yelich is better in every way except SB/speed. Merrifield has 10 hr power, his speed is a big reason for his success and that's going to start to go quickly. I don't think Merrifield will be a good player in 2020. He'll probably be a utility player at that point.

I think Merrifield is a solid player right now, but I'm not giving up potential future stars for 2 years of a solid player and 2 expensive years of a utility player. That's a terrible deal.

So the Royals won’t trade Duffy or Merrifield, got it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Merrifield was always a weird deadline target. Sinking in prospect capital for a guy who is likely to be your lead utility man next year just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Don't get me wrong. A good utility man would be a huge asset to this team. If the Brewers had Zobrist instead of Perez I'd be stoked. I just don't think investing prospects for a utility man is the right way to go. Would rather just sign one in free agency or just live with a replacement level type guy like Perez.

Merrifield was always a weird deadline target. Sinking in prospect capital for a guy who is likely to be your lead utility man next year just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Don't get me wrong. A good utility man would be a huge asset to this team. If the Brewers had Zobrist instead of Perez I'd be stoked. I just don't think investing prospects for a utility man is the right way to go. Would rather just sign one in free agency or just live with a replacement level type guy like Perez.

Well if he's your everyday 2B that can spell in the OF at times while you get Miller a few reps at 2B (if you keep him around), a guy on pace for a 5 WAR this year is not a big acquisition?

Merrifield seems to have figured out the hard contact thing and I'm ready to call what he's doing sustainable. Granted, he's a bit of an older player to have just broken in seriously last year, but he could be pretty good for a few years. Yeah, he might be the super-utility guy when Hiura is ready.

Archived