Brewer Fanatic

Whit Merrifield

Just saw this article posted by some guys over at the Royals SB nation site:

https://www.royalsreview.com/2018/7/18/17584136/with-manny-machado-headed-to-la-the-brewers-and-royals-can-win-the-trade-deadline

If his proposition is all it would take to get Merrifield, I think this trade would have been made already. It seems a bit light to me. Would LOVE to have a guy like Merrifield with control for the next few years but I think it would take more than what is proposed.

TL;DR - Trade Corey Ray, Kodi Meideros, Zach Brown for Whit Merrifield

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wouldn't say that is light. Ray is a former 5th pick in the draft who is having a very nice season. Meideros is another former 1st rounder pitching very well in AA. Of course, we all know Brown is pitching great at AA as well. Just because a deal doesn't include Burnes or Hiura doesn't mean it is light. This one would sting.

I wouldn't say that is light. Ray is a former 5th pick in the draft who is having a very nice season. Meideros is another former 1st rounder pitching very well in AA. Of course, we all know Brown is pitching great at AA as well. Just because a deal doesn't include Burnes or Hiura doesn't mean it is light. This one would sting.

I am probably higher on Merrifield than most. I like his versatility, high contact/low K rate (which this team desperately needs), great speed, and he gets on base at good clip. Getting a talent like him for the next few years means we don't have to throw out Perez, Villar, Miller, etc.

https://www.royalsreview.com/2018/7/18/17584136/with-manny-machado-headed-to-la-the-brewers-and-royals-can-win-the-trade-deadline

If his proposition is all it would take to get Merrifield, I think this trade would have been made already. It seems a bit light to me. Would LOVE to have a guy like Merrifield with control for the next few years but I think it would take more than what is proposed.

I think it is only light if you are assuming Corey Ray is the guy from last year not the one turning the corner in a big way this year and if you think Meideros is the guy from two years ago not the guy this year who has had some top level games and if you think Brown is not what his numbers suggest

I think it is only light if you are assuming Corey Ray is the guy from last year not the one turning the corner in a big way this year and if you think Meideros is the guy from two years ago not the guy this year who has had some top level games and if you think Brown is not what his numbers suggest

I am also comparing it to what has been proposed for rental guys like Machado and Dozier. I would much rather give up this package for 4 years of Merrifield than a package headlined by Ortiz, Phillips, etc for 2 months of Machado. Control over a talent like Merrifield who sports a 124 wRC+ would be a great move IMO.

Pass on that. Between Merrifield turning 30 in January and Hiura doing well in AA, I don't think Merrifield brings enough marginal future value to sacrifice the long-term value of those three guys.

I'm not sure I'd do that specific deal (I'm a big believer in Corey Ray and would like to see him develop here), but I certainly think Merrifield should be a target. Plugs straight in at 2B until Hiura is ready, or acts as insurance if Hiura doesn't make it (The elbow would be the likeliest cause of that I suspect). He has played 3B, 1B, RF, LF and even CF for the Royals, so he'd also be an option to spell Shaw against lefties and replace Perez role backing up the corner OF. He's not a utility player in the sense that Perez is, more in the way that Zobrist or Happ are; everyday players but not at a fixed position. So it's both an immediate upgrade, and a great fit for the roster. Not worried about his age. He's a bit of a late bloomer and we get his age 30-33 seasons.

So not a fan of that specific deal, but it's still a trade for 4 years of team control of a 3+ WAR player so value-wise it's not unreasonable.

Right, those would be good targets in any trade as all 3 are having very good years. I've always been high on Medeiros and his incredible stuff, I hope we don't trade him at all.

That package seems very wishful, I'm not interested at that price.

While it has not received as much play Merrifield has had his own issues with old Tweets and it would get worse if he joined the same team as Hader. Unfortunate it comes to that but don't think the Brewers can go after him right now.

Heads up but looks like they are gonna get Whit under the same bus they got Hader with.

links?

Also, is Trout also getting looked at for his twitter account? I saw something that he might be in the do do as well?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

What am I missing on Merrifield? Two recent first rounders and a possible org Top 5 arm? Is that a joke? I'd bet a large sum that Hiura would outproduce this guy at the plate this year if given the opportunity.

You'd have to give odds, that's a sucker bet for anybody picking Merrifield. The guy is a decent player with team control, not really someone you want playing everyday on a contending team.

Heads up but looks like they are gonna get Whit under the same bus they got Hader with.

links?

Also, is Trout also getting looked at for his twitter account? I saw something that he might be in the do do as well?

Maybe I'm not sensitive enough, but people are getting a little carried away with these (not talking about Hader's tweets). Merrifield isn't spreading hate on a group of people or putting people down. These words were used a lot 5+ years ago. Trout is the same situation as Whit's.

We will never get 4 years of a 4 WAR player who can play multiple positions for that package. No way.

links?

Maybe I'm not sensitive enough, but people are getting a little carried away with these (not talking about Hader's tweets). Merrifield isn't spreading hate on a group of people or putting people down. These words were used a lot 5+ years ago. Trout is the same situation as Whit's.

How do those tweets not constitute putting people down? 5 years ago, saying those words was still very bad.

links?

Like you, I'm not as sensitive to this stuff as most seem to be.

Except, the R word is viewed as a hate word and is putting people down. Same with the F word in that tweet. That is 100% a gay slur and has always been.

If Hader goes down for what he said, this can be lumped into the same catagory when it comes to offensive language.

The point I was trying to make is he is using those words for name calling as opposed to saying he hates a certain group of people. IMO, this is not anywhere as bad as what Hader had tweeted.

and that precisely is what should, and could get them into trouble.

you are taking a group of people, in this case, R words and F words, and using them to degrade someone else by calling them those names.

Maybe I am not explaining this correctly, or clearly, but using those terms for namecalling is no better than what Hader did. It's in the same offensive category if you are one of the group that Merrifield was referring to.

Archived