Brewer Fanatic

You're the Brewers GM...Your 2018 Deadline Moves are?

Was the acquisition of Moustakas really the precursor to two additional moves:

1. Moving Shaw in a deal for a TOR starter

2. Acquiring Dozier to play 2B

I understand Stearns' GM speak regarding position-less baseball and that Shaw would be adequate there. However, it just seems so odd to me that they would do that type of transition mid-season during a year where they have the 2nd best record in the NL through more than 100 games. The timing just seems bizarre. It makes me think that the Brewers have other things in play specifically with Shaw. Would it make sense to include Shaw as the centerpiece in a trade to TB for Archer, where they can keep Hiura? To make up for the lost bat, they acquire an actual 2B in Dozier to cover the position until Hiura is ready? Are the Brewers a better team subtracting Shaw to land Archer and Dozier?

A lineup of Cain-Yelich-Aguilar-Moustakas-Braun/Thames-Dozier is arguably just as good as one that includes Shaw. Add onto that now the Brewers have Archer leading the rotation.

I don't think Stearns is that transparent but when you boil it down to the basics, I think this may be his plan.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand Stearns' GM speak regarding position-less baseball and that Shaw would be adequate there. However, it just seems so odd to me that they would do that type of transition mid-season during a year where they have the 2nd best record in the NL through more than 100 games. The timing just seems bizarre. It makes me think that the Brewers have other things in play specifically with Shaw. Would it make sense to include Shaw as the centerpiece in a trade to TB for Archer, where they can keep Hiura? To make up for the lost bat, they acquire an actual 2B in Dozier to cover the position until Hiura is ready? Are the Brewers a better team subtracting Shaw to land Archer and Dozier?

A lineup of Cain-Yelich-Aguilar-Moustakas-Braun/Thames-Dozier is arguably just as good as one that includes Shaw. Add onto that now the Brewers have Archer leading the rotation.

I don't think Stearns is that transparent but when you boil it down to the basics, I think this may be his plan.

Seems to me that multiple moves like that would end up clearing a good chunk of the farm out. Shaws value can't be that high to the point where he can be a centerpiece of a trade for Archer. I'm more hoping they end up trading Thames..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The only issue with that is that is leaves a hole the size of Nebraska at 3B next year.

The only issue with that is that is leaves a hole the size of Nebraska at 3B next year.

Only if they don't re-sign Moustakas. I am not advocating for my original post rather just trying to anticipate Stearns next moves. If Stearns extended both Moustakas and Dozier for 2-3 seasons then perhaps they bridge to the time when Erceg and Hiura are ready to take over. Like I said, I am just reading the tea leaves and this doesn't seem that far fetched.

Trade Santana, Peralta, Villar and Houser for Archer

Trade Nottingham, Woodruff, Ortiz, Erceg and Lutz for Realmuto

We are in great shape for this year, and while we take a major prospect hit and a solid depth hit, we would still remain in good to great shape at every position for the next 3-4 years.

SP

Nelson 20

Anderson 21

Archer 21

Chacin 19

Burnes 24

Davies 21

Guerra 22

Diplan

Zack Brown

Wilkerson

Derby

C

Realmuto 20

Pina 21

Betancourt

1b

Aguilar 22

Thames 20

Gatewood

2b

Hiura 25

Perez 20

Saladino

SS

Arcia 21

Dubon 25

3b

Shaw 21

OF

Cain 22

Yelich 22

Braun 21

Broxton 21

Ray

Grisham

Thames

RP

Knebel 20

Hader 23

Jeffress 21

Albers 19

Jennings 19

Williams 23

Soria 19 maybe

Barnes 21

Seems to me that multiple moves like that would end up clearing a good chunk of the farm out. Shaws value can't be that high to the point where he can be a centerpiece of a trade for Archer. I'm more hoping they end up trading Thames..

Yeah, I see this trading of Shaw pop up now and I don't get it.

I realize he is arby cheap for the next three years, but his value isn't going to drive a trade for a big pitcher. Selling teams are going to want younger and more controlled players back in a trade.

The teams that will value him the most, are teams that are temporarily down this year, but they plan to be in the playoff hunt next year and ongoing. Not too many, if any, of those around. Someone like the Nationals, if they decided to sell and if Rendon wasn't there.

We are in great shape for this year, and while we take a major prospect hit and a solid depth hit, we would still remain in good to great shape at every position for the next 3-4 years.

I'm much more open to the Archer trade than the Realmuto trade. The Archer trade is selling low on a couple spare parts, the big prize for them being Peralta. They are relatively weak in the outfield and could value Houser as a good piece for their radical pitching experiment.

The Realmuto trade offers 5 very good prospects, all between 50 and 55 with varying upsides. I could see both sides not liking this. Miami isn't getting a headliner, and the Brewers are giving up a ton of depth and solid prospects for 1 player.

I'm much more open to the Archer trade than the Realmuto trade. The Archer trade is selling low on a couple spare parts, the big prize for them being Peralta. They are relatively weak in the outfield and could value Houser as a good piece for their radical pitching experiment.

The Realmuto trade offers 5 very good prospects, all between 50 and 55 with varying upsides. I could see both sides not liking this. Miami isn't getting a headliner, and the Brewers are giving up a ton of depth and solid prospects for 1 player.

I disagree with this perspective. I don't want Archer because I think he's overvalued by some, especially the Rays. He's good, but he isn't a true TOR starter, so even though the haul for Tampa is lower, I still would prefer to take Realmuto. I'd also do that trade in a heartbeat if we were able to.

You take one of the weakest spots in the lineup, and transform it into one of, if not the, best players at his position in baseball. It would be a sky high upgrade, and you have him controlled for a long period of time.

I would jump all over that Realmuto trade. Miami wouldn't do it, though.

[sarcasm]Man are you obsessed or something?!)[/sarcasm] :laughing But in seriousness, him in the 3 hole right now would be incredible.

Tonight’s up with him:

Cain

Yelich

Realmuto

Moustakas

Shaw

Braun

Thames

Arcia

And that’s with having Aguilar on the bench. Would be so fun.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived