Brewer Fanatic

You're the Brewers GM...Your 2018 Deadline Moves are?

I am consistently seeing Brandon Drury of the Yankees in trade talks for rentals the Yankees are/were after. Might this be someone to trade for since the Yankees obviously don’t have room for him. He has played 2B and 3B with a decent bat. Controllable through 2021.

This is actually an interesting idea, but who would we match up with them on? They'd have no need for Domingo, otherwise that could be a good 1 for 1 type deal. I'm guessing they'd probably have interest in Thames to play 1B for them, but I would hate to give up ET's big left handed bat in our lineup (even though we don't have enough room for all of our OF's and 1B).

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Murphy has been terrible this year. If we're taking him the conversation needs to be along the lines of "We will give you nothing for him and how much money will you pay of his salary for us to take him off your hands."

His last 54 ABs: .315/.371/.481 (.852 OPS) 6BB 4K.

I can't speak for his defense, but it seems that he is getting his legs under him recently and the bat is waking up.

I am consistently seeing Brandon Drury of the Yankees in trade talks for rentals the Yankees are/were after. Might this be someone to trade for since the Yankees obviously don’t have room for him. He has played 2B and 3B with a decent bat. Controllable through 2021.

This is actually an interesting idea, but who would we match up with them on? They'd have no need for Domingo, otherwise that could be a good 1 for 1 type deal. I'm guessing they'd probably have interest in Thames to play 1B for them, but I would hate to give up ET's big left handed bat in our lineup (even though we don't have enough room for all of our OF's and 1B).

My thought was Thames. Maybe a bigger trade with the Yanks including Sonny Gray and the Brewers throwing in a prospect (one subject to Rule 5)?

Drury isn't very good and doesn't provide anything that the numerous 2B fodder already on the roster doesn't already provide. I wouldn't give up anything of value for him.

I respectfully disagree. He is only 25 years of age and carries a career .755 OPS in his first 4 years in the Majors. He is much better then what we are putting out there.

Drury isn't very good and doesn't provide anything that the numerous 2B fodder already on the roster doesn't already provide. I wouldn't give up anything of value for him.

I respectfully disagree. He is only 25 years of age and carries a career .755 OPS in his first 4 years in the Majors. He is much better then what we are putting out there.

Drury is a very slight upgrade over Hernan Perez. if the Yankees want to give away Drury I would grab him and release Perez. However, that upgrade is very very minor....

Community Moderator

My thought was Thames. Maybe a bigger trade with the Yanks including Sonny Gray and the Brewers throwing in a prospect (one subject to Rule 5)?

The Yankees aren’t in a position to take on prospects subject to the upcoming Rule 5 draft as they may very well have the highest number of quality prospects that will require protecting this offseason of any team in baseball.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Here's another idea:

Joakim Soria and James Shields from the White Sox for Jorge Lopez, Keon Broxton and Kodi Medeiros.

Soria has been terrific for the White Sox. Only 2 homers allowed in 38+ innings, WHIP of 1.16, 11.4 K/9 and 4.9 K:BB. He's making 9 million this year, 10 million dollar club option for 2019 with a 1 million dollar buy out.

Shields, most importantly, is averaging over 6 innings a start and would ease the burden on the bullpen by eating innings. He has a WHIP of 1.26. His FIP of 4.38 is not great, but an improvement over Davies, Suter, Anderson. Making 21 million, with 11 paid by SD. Has 16 million dollar club option for next year with 2 million dollar buy out.

Broxton would step right in to either LF or CF for the White Sox, Lopez would slot into the bullpen, and Medeiros would be for down the road. The prospects are lesser due to the cash involved that Milwaukee would be taking on. Also, the White Sox might do better shipping Shields and Soria off seperately.

It's not that he's waiting to make a move; it's that sellers generally wait until the deadline in hopes of offers increasing

That didn't stop the Mets, Rays or Orioles from making moves. I think moves can and should happen well before the deadline to maximize our return on the field and hopefully in the W/L column.

It's not that he's waiting to make a move; it's that sellers generally wait until the deadline in hopes of offers increasing

That didn't stop the Mets, Rays or Orioles from making moves. I think moves can and should happen well before the deadline to maximize our return on the field and hopefully in the W/L column.

So far, the other end of the trades have been mostly large markets other than the A's. Those teams were all able to beat out the Brewers or other mid/small markets because they can be more loose with their prospects and pay for replacements later.

If this was a later stage of the Brewers' supposed window, they would probably be willing to pay a higher price and obtain a player earlier on.

If the Mets are willing to move Wheeler for a reasonable price he could be a solid addition in the wake of losing Suter for the year and Davies having another setback. Rotation depth basically down to Woodruff and Wilkerson. I still think they can make the playoffs with the guys they have, but the depth is getting very thin.

Zack Wheeler has a 3.65 DRA and 3.68 FIP. Solid K% and average BB%. He;s under team control through 2019. He's a guy the Mets SHOULD move. We'll see if they do.

Here's another idea:

Joakim Soria and James Shields from the White Sox for Jorge Lopez, Keon Broxton and Kodi Medeiros.

Soria has been terrific for the White Sox. Only 2 homers allowed in 38+ innings, WHIP of 1.16, 11.4 K/9 and 4.9 K:BB. He's making 9 million this year, 10 million dollar club option for 2019 with a 1 million dollar buy out.

Shields, most importantly, is averaging over 6 innings a start and would ease the burden on the bullpen by eating innings. He has a WHIP of 1.26. His FIP of 4.38 is not great, but an improvement over Davies, Suter, Anderson. Making 21 million, with 11 paid by SD. Has 16 million dollar club option for next year with 2 million dollar buy out.

Broxton would step right in to either LF or CF for the White Sox, Lopez would slot into the bullpen, and Medeiros would be for down the road. The prospects are lesser due to the cash involved that Milwaukee would be taking on. Also, the White Sox might do better shipping Shields and Soria off seperately.

The concept is solid, but the price is too much. Shields has neutral to negative surplus value at his contract. Soria is a nice addition to the pen, but should probably be treated as a rental given his option price next year.

I wouldn't give up Medeiros in a deal for these two.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I will say this about back-of-the-rotation arms like Shields and Gibson. These guys might offer a little bit of predictable mediocrity that comforting, but in the end, I would rather the club take a chance on Woodruff or Burnes going into the rotation. Could they implode? Sure. But they could also do well, and solidify the rotation.

I guess I look at this as a high risk / high reward situation. I'd rather take the risk that a younger guy can do well, than accept the mediocre performance of a veteran arm like Shields.

That's just my preference. I'd rather take the risks than go with a known quantity that really doesn't bring a lot to the table.

We’ve been bringing in low end rotation pieces and DJ has turned them into a functional staff.

Perhaps they see something in Gibson that DJ can work his magic?

I still feel that we will pick up Archer.

Here's another idea:

Well done.

While a TOR starter would be really nice, I think at this point I'm hoping we hold onto our top 10 prospects or so and use 40-man crunch players to swing deals for Gibson + Dozier/Escobar and Ramos. It wouldn't be the sexiest of deadlines, but those additions plus hoping Arcia can find his swing while providing ++ defense would make for a really, really solid team the rest of the year.

CF Cain

2B Dozier/Escobar#

OF Yelich*

1B Aguilar

3B Shaw*

OF Braun/Thames*

C Ramos/Pina

SS Arcia

SP Gibson

SP Anderson

SP Chacin

SP Guerra

SP Peralta/Miley*

CL Knebel

RP Soria

RP Hader*

RP Jeffress

RP Burnes

RP Albers

RP Jennings*

RP Williams/Barnes/Woodruff

While a TOR starter would be really nice, I think at this point I'm hoping we hold onto our top 10 prospects or so and use 40-man crunch players to swing deals for Gibson + Dozier/Escobar and Ramos. It wouldn't be the sexiest of deadlines, but those additions plus hoping Arcia can find his swing while providing ++ defense would make for a really, really solid team the rest of the year.

CF Cain

2B Dozier/Escobar#

OF Yelich*

1B Aguilar

3B Shaw*

OF Braun/Thames*

C Ramos/Pina

SS Arcia

SP Gibson

SP Anderson

SP Chacin

SP Guerra

SP Peralta/Miley*

CL Knebel

RP Soria

RP Hader*

RP Jeffress

RP Burnes

RP Albers

RP Jennings*

RP Williams/Barnes/Woodruff

I think a trade involving Gibson would take a top 10 organizational prospect. I think he and Wheeler would have similar trade value and I would be happy with either.

I think they would definitely be able to hold onto Hiura, Burnes, Peralta, and maybe Ray but after that they probably need to include one of the next guys like Ortiz, Erceg, or Lutz.

Overall I'm right on board with you. My wish list is similar with the Mets and Twins matching up best.

In order of priority:

1) Escobar or Cabrera

2) Gibson or Wheeler

3) Dozier if Escobar or Cabrera doesn't happen

Archived