Brewer Fanatic

You're the Brewers GM...Your 2018 Deadline Moves are?

You can fire Coles, but thats not gonna change when you Saladino hitting 5th and Kratz playing one half the games. You could blame him for Arcia and Santana, but if reports are true Arcia needed an attitude adjustment. I am not sure that is on Coles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can fire Coles, but thats not gonna change when you Saladino hitting 5th and Kratz playing one half the games. You could blame him for Arcia and Santana, but if reports are true Arcia needed an attitude adjustment. I am not sure that is on Coles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure where to find this stat, but I feel like, just based off my watching them, the Brewers hitters take more 1st pitch strikes than most other teams in MLB, which ultimately will lead to their massive strikeout totals. That is a coaching strategy, being told to look to take the 1st pitch, by their hitting coach. There needs to be a new ideology put in place for these hitters to get their heads in a new place. Coles needs to go

You could blame him for Arcia and Santana

I really don’t know how much of a positive effect a hitting coach can have on a team. But in addition to Arica and Santana, Braun, Pina, and Shaw are all having worse years than last. That’s 5 of the 8 guys you were counting on to be near everyday players. When I look at how many guys are underachieving vs how many pitchers seem to be overachieving I have to think coaching has to be a part of it. At this point I see no valid reason to keep Coles.

I have to wondering at what point during a bad stretch and just terrible offensive output do players start to get annoyed with getting help from the same guy who hasn’t helped them the entire time.

It might be time to just get a fresh face in there to help them. I doubt Coles is beloved among the players.

I'm not sure where to find this stat, but I feel like, just based off my watching them, the Brewers hitters take more 1st pitch strikes than most other teams in MLB, which ultimately will lead to their massive strikeout totals. That is a coaching strategy, being told to look to take the 1st pitch, by their hitting coach. There needs to be a new ideology put in place for these hitters to get their heads in a new place. Coles needs to go

Baseball Reference has this information in their splits. It takes some clicking around but league average swing rate on the first pitch is 28.6%. Brewers are currently at 27.3%, so they do take the first pitch slightly more than league average.

Looking at the teams who have hit the best so far this year for comparison you've got NYY (27.5%), HOU (29.0%), BOS (28.6%), CLE (25.7%), CHC (32.9%) & LAD (25.1%).

Based on that cursory look it doesn't look like swinging at or taking the first pitch has much correlation to team batting success as there's a wide range of approaches employed by this season's most successful offenses.

There's also the issue of how much of that determination is made by the individual players & their personal approaches versus the organization as a whole.

They need to find out who goes forward on the 40-man roster; see how competitive this roster is through the end of the season. I wouldn't be afraid to trade mid-level prospects for a rental or upgrade at positions of need. But they have too many prospects on the cusp of solid major league status to get too wild in trading them.

Brewers get:

2B-Asdrubal Cabrera

Mets get:

RHP-Adrian Houser

RHP-Trey Supak

2B-Dylan Moore

I respect your player value calculations, but Houser + Supak is IMO too much for a rental. Unless someone is elite (i.e. Machado), I don't trade more than one SP prospect for a rental. I even struggle with giving up one SP prospect for a rental.

That being said, I've wanted Cabrera for a while and am a big fan of acquiring him. Their choice of Houser/Supak plus Villar is where I start, maybe I add Segovia if they balk. Maybe I'll throw in a 2nd SP prospect if they include a lower-level prospect who doesn't need to be protected for a couple of years.

Brewers get:

2B-Asdrubal Cabrera

Mets get:

RHP-Adrian Houser

RHP-Trey Supak

2B-Dylan Moore

I respect your player value calculations, but Houser + Supak is IMO too much for a rental. Unless someone is elite (i.e. Machado), I don't trade more than one SP prospect for a rental. I even struggle with giving up one SP prospect for a rental.

That being said, I've wanted Cabrera for a while and am a big fan of acquiring him. Their choice of Houser/Supak plus Villar is where I start, maybe I add Segovia if they balk. Maybe I'll throw in a 2nd SP prospect if they include a lower-level prospect who doesn't need to be protected for a couple of years.

Supak/Villar and a lottery ticket was about what I was thinking.

Welp. Its July 22nd and Stearns hasnt done a darn thing yet.

This race is going to come right down to the wire so if you are going to make moves they should have been made earlier than later to take full advantage of the services of the new player.

I have to think the inaction by Stearns means he is considering selling or standing pat (just like 2017).

There are just too many holes to fill to be a buyer. 1. Catcher 2. Shortstop 3. TOR Starter 4. 2B.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Welp. Its July 22nd and Stearns hasnt done a darn thing yet.

This race is going to come right down to the wire so if you are going to make moves they should have been made earlier than later to take full advantage of the services of the new player.

I have to think the inaction by Stearns means he is considering selling or standing pat (just like 2017).

There are just too many holes to fill to be a buyer. 1. Catcher 2. Shortstop 3. TOR Starter 4. 2B.

Or is simply that the sellers are holding out until closer to the deadline. Most moves happen then.

I posted this in the other thread also, but maybe target both Escobar and Dozier from the Twins. Both guys for Ortiz and a warm body or two. Also target either Stroman or Archer, preferably Stroman. Offer Phillips, Supak, Diplan. That clears 3 spots on the 40 man this offseason while getting us much needed help right now.

Brewers get:

2B-Asdrubal Cabrera

Mets get:

RHP-Adrian Houser

RHP-Trey Supak

2B-Dylan Moore

Cabrera has little to no excess value - he's worth maybe one 40-45 OFP prospect plus a flyer. I'd do Jorge Lopez and Tristan Archer.

Moore is going to be a FA in a few months unless the Brewers add him to the 40-man. More than likely, the Mets could just wait if they really liked him.

At this point Stearns shouldn't really consider bringing in any rentals. Our playoff odds have gotten substantially worse and I don't think it pays to trade away assets when it might move the needle to a one game wildcard and that's it. While it may cost more in prospects Stearns needs to focus on getting some controllable pitching in return. Maybe a SS, 2B, or C as well.

At this point Stearns shouldn't really consider bringing in any rentals. Our playoff odds have gotten substantially worse and I don't think it pays to trade away assets when it might move the needle to a one game wildcard and that's it. While it may cost more in prospects Stearns needs to focus on getting some controllable pitching in return. Maybe a SS, 2B, or C as well.

Disagree. We should be focused on controllable pitching as well. But we are 3.5 games back with around 60 to play. Plenty of time. The guys will likely get hot again at some point down the stretch, adding some good players hopefully makes that more likely. We should be focused on certain rental players, and targeting controllable pitching. I hope we are involved on Degrom/Syndergaard, as I've heard the Mets are fielding offers on both.

Brewers get:

2B-Asdrubal Cabrera

Mets get:

RHP-Adrian Houser

RHP-Trey Supak

2B-Dylan Moore

Cabrera has little to no excess value - he's worth maybe one 40-45 OFP prospect plus a flyer. I'd do Jorge Lopez and Tristan Archer.

Moore is going to be a FA in a few months unless the Brewers add him to the 40-man. More than likely, the Mets could just wait if they really liked him.

There are at least two other teams in on Cabrera. Lopez and Archer would be a pitiful offer for a bat like Cabrera. .280/.332/.487/.820 this year and .280/.340/.464/.804 since the beginning of 2016. He should get at least one solid role player prospect and a couple of fringe prospects.

Cabrera seems like the best middle infield candidate when looking at all the likely available middle infielders. I definitely would have rather gone shortstop, but Iglesias is my favorite and he just isn't a big enough improvement. I'd take Cabrera over Dozier due to Dozier's slow start this year. Dozier's a known second half performer, no question about that. In the first half this year he slashed .230/.314/.423/.737. From 2015-2017 Dozier's first half slash line was .248/.330/.461/.791. So his numbers are down and I do have some concerns regarding his OBP moving forward. I like Cabrera. Not much with the glove anymore but he is a really good all-around hitter and that's what the Brewers could really use.

In this deal I have two solid role player prospects going to the Mets because I think that's what it would take with the other teams in the mix. Would this be an overpay? Yes, but only to the tune of 3-4 million surplus dollars which isn't that significant.

As far as Dylan Moore. The Mets will be making some deals and opening spots on their roster. Moore is already 25 years old and has been a good performer in AAA/AA this year and is probably ready for his shot. Subtract Cabrera, add Moore and give him a solid 2 months (or 1 month if waiting until roster expansion) audition at the major league level and see what he can do. If he sticks, he sticks. If he doesn't, then he was only piece #3 in a deal for a rental in a trade where the Mets were on the plus side of the surplus value equation. He seems like a pretty reasonable third piece in a trade like this.

I’m not seeing landing a 820 OPS middle infielder for spare change.

What was Walker's OPS last year when we was essentially landed for spare change?

780 plus Bad back and $17M salary. Also can’t play SS.

Archived