Brewer Fanatic

You're the Brewers GM...Your 2018 Deadline Moves are?

Yeah with Ramos and Cervelli both on the DL the potential trade market for catchers is really barren. No one is remotely close to Realmuto, especially with his control. He's the best catcher in baseball.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewers signed two AAA outfielders today - Richie Shaffer and Rymer Liriano (he's back!)

Not sure why they would sign two more OFs with the glut we already have unless there were some moves on the way...

With both Broxton and Phillips up they only have 3 OFers on the roster down at AAA. Could really just be a depth move.

They will have to trade Brett Phillips at the deadline or this winter if they would like to maximize his value though on the trade market.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewers signed two AAA outfielders today - Richie Shaffer and Rymer Liriano (he's back!)

Not sure why they would sign two more OFs with the glut we already have unless there were some moves on the way...

I don't know about that. The only OFers on the roster were Santana, Tyrone Taylor and Quentin Berry. I know Blanco, Moore and Opitz have been seeing OF time as well lately. Granted Broxton or Phillips (or both) will be back down at some point too. Ray could be pushing for a AAA promotion as well.

With both Broxton and Phillips up they only have 3 OFers on the roster down at AAA. Could really just be a depth move.

They will have to trade Brett Phillips at the deadline or this winter if they would like to maximize his value though on the trade market.

But with Braun and Thames coming off the DL that is two more OFs.

Their MLB/AAA OF depth would look like this after Braun/Thames get reinstated:

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Thames

Broxton

Phillips

Santana

Taylor

Berry

Liriano

Shaffer

I think you go ahead and get Ramos and Escobar from the Twins. Id love one more reliever too.

I said from opening day you don't overpay for a starter because you are getting Nelson back but it has been mum on the Nelson and Davies front of late. Maybe you try to get a starter and let the pen be.

Bottom line, I see 3 trades in the next 10 days.

I think you go ahead and get Ramos and Escobar from the Twins. Id love one more reliever too.

Ramos from TB? If so, he is hurt, and may be out a long time... Otherwise, if it's a different Ramos and he is a Twin, I don't know who that is. lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Community Moderator
I remember when Jed Lowrie seemed like a no-brainer trade target for the Brewers. Well the A’s now have a better record than the Brewers and are on the verge of making a trade as buyers for Mets closer Jeurys Familia. I can’t say that two weeks ago I saw the A’s making a “buyers” trade deadline move before the Brewers, but here we are.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I am still thinking the opportunity to get a TOR stater will be best had this off season. For that reason, if the Brewers continue to slide, I start to trade the likes of Guerra (if he gets back in time, otherwise deal Anderson), Chacin and Thames for some lower level, high upside prospects. This helps prepare for another big off season splash to help us in 2019.

I would ride this season out with Santana and Arcia to get them back on track and at least get some innings for Nelson and Davies if possible. We can see what we have in Burnes, Peralta and Woodruff by giving them some time in the rotation with others gone.

The goal would be to get a true TOR starter (Syndergaard?) to add to Nelson, Davies and who ever is left of the others (not traded at the deadline or in the off season).

I would offer NY a package of Hiura, Peralta, Woodruff, Ray and Supek for Syndergaard. That would leave us with Burnes, Suter and Anderson to round out the rotation. Medeiros, Brown and Ortiz would be depth at AAA.

If Santana and Arcia trend back up to fulfill their potential, the offense would have more depth and balance.

The bullpen would get a HUGE boost if we could move a Suter there to log multiple innings a few times a week. He would be a key to keeping the back end fresh.

Maybe Stearns shoud be talking call on who he wants to trade, sellers are not always a bad thing.

There are not many sellers this year and the available bats and arms are pretty pathetic. If I'm Stearns I go out and sell after watching the last 10 days.

One or two trades are not going to fix the holes in the 2018 Brewers.

I would definitely cash in on Guerra, Chacin, and Jefress at a minimum. If someone takes Lorenzo Cain I'm selling before the guy has negative trade value.

If someone backs up the truck for Aguilar or Yelich I'm pulling the trigger.

Maybe Stearns shoud be talking call on who he wants to trade, sellers are not always a bad thing.

There are not many sellers this year and the available bats and arms are pretty pathetic. If I'm Stearns I go out and sell after watching the last 10 days.

I would definitely cash in on Guerra, Chacin, and Jefress at a minimum. If someone takes Lorenzo Cain I'm selling before the guy has negative trade value.

I'm not usually one to say this, but this is a bad post.

Any suggestion of trading Yelich or Aguilar is absurd based solely on control. Trading Yelich would probably be the absolute dumbest move the franchise could make right now.

Suggesting to trade Cain is just as bad, especially for the affect it would have on future free agents perception of Milwaukee.

The team has lost 8 straight and still holds a playoff spot. Let's all take a breath here if this is where our heads are at.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Wow, I guess some people just want to watch the world burn.

Even the best teams go though rough stretches. The Brewers will right the ship and will be fine. Division winning fine? Maybe not, but I think they'll be in playoff contention at the end of September. Which is what we all wanted back in spring. Well, almost everyone, except maybe the poster above.

I am still thinking the opportunity to get a TOR stater will be best had this off season. For that reason, if the Brewers continue to slide, I start to trade the likes of Guerra (if he gets back in time, otherwise deal Anderson), Chacin and Thames for some lower level, high upside prospects. This helps prepare for another big off season splash to help us in 2019.

I would ride this season out with Santana and Arcia to get them back on track and at least get some innings for Nelson and Davies if possible. We can see what we have in Burnes, Peralta and Woodruff by giving them some time in the rotation with others gone.

The goal would be to get a true TOR starter (Syndergaard?) to add to Nelson, Davies and who ever is left of the others (not traded at the deadline or in the off season).

I would offer NY a package of Hiura, Peralta, Woodruff, Ray and Supek for Syndergaard. That would leave us with Burnes, Suter and Anderson to round out the rotation. Medeiros, Brown and Ortiz would be depth at AAA.

If Santana and Arcia trend back up to fulfill their potential, the offense would have more depth and balance.

The bullpen would get a HUGE boost if we could move a Suter there to log multiple innings a few times a week. He would be a key to keeping the back end fresh.

I am quoting myself here but I wanted to make a point of saying that I DO NOT want the Brewers to trade the likes of Yelich, Cain, Aguilar, Shaw, Arcia, Pina, Knebel, Hader or Jeffress. To me, these guys are the core of the team. Nelson and Davies are both coming off of lost seasons so they will most likely be Brewers next year regardless. I am looking at trading pieces where we already have MLB ready talent depth with Santana and Arcia being the guys we add at the deadline.

My idea is to build for a serious WS type run for the next 3 years. The reemergence of Nelson, Davies, Santana and Arcia, while ading a TOR starter does just that.

Giving up a few pieces from our MLB roster now, helps ease the pain of what will be needed to get that TOR guy.

I will also add that my original post on this does say to go this route only if the Brewers continue to slide.

I haven't heard about any teams being linked to A.J. Ellis yet. So I'll throw out this offer.

Brewers get:

C-A.J. Ellis

Padres get:

RHP-Thomas Jankins

RHP-Cam Robinson

I like the target. I'd be more inclined to try and send them some of the players off the rule five list though.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Well if we poop the bed again Stearns will be going all in for 2019 (making major moves before and during the season). Because at some point making a bunch of great moves has to turn into wins. So far we have pooped the bed once and may be on our way to doing it again. Three years in a row and you’d really have to question if the man in charge is really that great.

I’m not panicking because we have a lot of promise for 2019...but results have to happen eventually.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that they were leading their division and in back to back years came apart . The Brewers Lack that true Rotation Stopper, but this team has a lot of holes that can't be solved in one trade. I would not be upset if DS would move Knebel before the deadline. But i am thinking Coles days are numbered

Archived