Brewer Fanatic

You're the Brewers GM...Your 2018 Deadline Moves are?

I think people are over-estimating the value of Dozier. First of all he isn't cheap, and the Twins are not going to be paying any of what remains on his 9 million dollar salary. Second, there is a glut of players available who play 2nd: (Dozier, Kinsler, Castro, Asdrubal Cabrera, Johnathan Schoop, etc.) without a clear top player. The Twins don't have much leverage because there is so little difference between Kinsler, Dozier, Cabrera etc. Third, if they wait until the 31st the Brewers very well could be looking up at the wild card spots, and like last year will adjust their sights for some rental players that won't have much of an acquisition cost in terms of talent.

Zach Wheeler would be one of my targets because he averages almost 6 innings per start and could lessen the load on the bullpen. The problem is the Mets and Brewers aren't a good match because Cespedes and Jay Bruce are signed long term and they have Nimmo and Conforto to play OF. So maybe Villar, Ortiz, and Gatewood for Wheeler and Cabrera.

Kyle Barraclough and Derek Dietrich for Domingo Santana, Erceg, Houser and Diplan.

Rotation: Anderson, Wheeler, Chacin, Guerra, Suter/Peralta/Woodruff

Pen: Albers, Barraclough, Barnes, Hader, Jeffress, Jennings, Williams, Suter/Woodruff/Peralta

C: Pina, Nottingham

IF: Aguilar, Thames, Dietrich, Cabrera, Perez, Saladino, Shaw

OF: Braun, Yelich, Cain

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I am the Brewers GM my deadlines moves are...on hold for the next 10 days or so until I see how the team responds to that horrific 1-7 road trip and the whole Hader controversy. If we come out of the break and go 3-7 our first 10 games and the Cubs are up 5 on us, I'm not so sure I don't just try and trade Knebel for something and call it a season. I know nobody wants to really hear that, but I don't want to sell off prospects for Dozier, Merrifield, etc. Those guys don't get us past the Cubs or the Dodgers now. Unfortunately.

I think people are over-estimating the value of Dozier. First of all he isn't cheap, and the Twins are not going to be paying any of what remains on his 9 million dollar salary. Second, there is a glut of players available who play 2nd: (Dozier, Kinsler, Castro, Asdrubal Cabrera, Johnathan Schoop, etc.) without a clear top player. The Twins don't have much leverage because there is so little difference between Kinsler, Dozier, Cabrera etc. Third, if they wait until the 31st the Brewers very well could be looking up at the wild card spots, and like last year will adjust their sights for some rental players that won't have much of an acquisition cost in terms of talent.

Kyle Barraclough and Derek Dietrich for Domingo Santana, Erceg, Houser and Diplan.

That return for Barraclough and Dietrich seems really light to me. Elite RP's with team control get elite returns, there's no one of a Mejia caliber in the deal you mentioned. Dietrich is under team control until 2020, so he also would bring a much higher return.

The fact Dozier makes some money doesn't scare me off. It's not my money, if Antannasio is willing to pay it that's great and wouldn't affect our future payroll. If anything it's probably a good thing as it would keep his trade value down a bit and it would probably keep a team like Cleveland from wanting to trade for him (as they have traditionally resisted taking on contracts). The 2nd basemen you listed have produced similar to Dozier this year, but the ceiling for Dozier seems much higher if he can produce like the last 2 years in the 2nd half. A guy like Asdrubal Cabrera doesn't get us past the Cubs. If Dozier hits in the 2nd half like he has the last two years, he just might make the difference. It's far from a certainty, but I want to take the shot at the huge upside especially since the prospect cost should be reasonable.

That return for Barraclough and Dietrich seems really light to me. Elite RP's with team control get elite returns, there's no one of a Mejia caliber in the deal you mentioned. Dietrich is under team control until 2020, so he also would bring a much higher return.

Dietrich is a mediocre defender at best wherever he plays and is in the upper 700s OPS with 2 relatively expensive years of team control coming. We don't really have a need for corner OF or 3b, so I'm not sure why he's a target or why we'd be willing to give up much for him.

Barraclough an elite reliever? You may want to look at something besides ERA when determining that. BABIP .158...no way that stays close to there. His career has been much closer to 290/300. Velocity and k rate are the lowest of his career. Hard contact rate the highest. He was never much more than an above average reliever and only his ERA is playing above that. He has a lot of team control, but so much is trending down that I have no interest in paying a premium for all that team control.

Hand is a clearly better pitcher though. Barraclough's FIP (3.62) puts him more in the realm Dan Jennings (3.76) than Brad Hand (3.17). Miami would be getting 4+ years of control with Santana, even if he doesn't fully rebound to .875 OPS, that's still a cost controlled power bat plus additional prospects but none of Milwaukee's finest.

Dietrich is a mediocre defender at best wherever he plays and is in the upper 700s OPS with 2 relatively expensive years of team control coming. We don't really have a need for corner OF or 3b, so I'm not sure why he's a target or why we'd be willing to give up much for him.

I chose Dietrich because he's left handed and has primarily been a 2B. That he also plays 3B, LF, 1B is just the kind of versatility Stearns and Counsell look for. Asdrubal Cabrera is a switch hitter and has played primarily 2B this year but also has the versatility to play SS.

Basically its replacing 2B and SS which have been primarily manned by the weakest bats on 25 man roster: Villar, Arcia, Miller and Perez. Such moves would also allow more pinch hitting/double switches due to the versatility of Dietrich, Cabrera, Saladino and Perez.

There's not a difference making bat on the market that the Brewers can get so an alternative strategy may be to have a 25 man roster where all the hitters are capable and versatile. Instead of sending Kratz or Arcia to pinch hit late in games.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
In simplest terms, we are burning daylight and need to get some deals pronto. If we can split with the dodgers then we can buy some time but we seem to be falling apart at the seams.

I know there are holes, but is there really that much urgency? This team was 18 over up until a week and a half ago. Despite a bad week, the team does all of a sudden suck.

If I am the Brewers GM my deadlines moves are...on hold for the next 10 days or so until I see how the team responds to that horrific 1-7 road trip and the whole Hader controversy. If we come out of the break and go 3-7 our first 10 games and the Cubs are up 5 on us, I'm not so sure I don't just try and trade Knebel for something and call it a season. I know nobody wants to really hear that, but I don't want to sell off prospects for Dozier, Merrifield, etc. Those guys don't get us past the Cubs or the Dodgers now. Unfortunately.

No, you don’t wait. If a deal presents itself that you think is good...go for it. Now that Machado is gone there aren’t any rentals to gut punch your farm for just 2 months of production. It wasn’t a horrific road trip. The record was brutal, but we were in most of those games.

I definitely wouldn’t wait on controllable guys.

Dozier isn't having a down year. He's a second half hitter and every GM knows that. Supak and Stokes will never get him.

Based on what evidence? He has his lowest BA in 5yrs, 2nd lowest OBP in 5yrs (by 7pts), lowest OPS in 5yrs, lowest OPS+ in 5yrs, -5 DRS lowest in 5yrs (Villar is 4-5 so going to Dozier is a sizable drop). GMs aren't going to adjust their offer because a dude has been great in the 2nd half the past 2yrs. 2nd half of the season counts just the same as the 1st half.

The 1st half is meaningless because you will never have him in the first half and didn’t this year. All that matters is that he is good till the end of the year. So no, I don’t agree with your claim because he is a rental. If he wasn’t, sure, makes sense.

Now I don’t know if GMs are going to take and run with the 2nd half player stuff. I don’t think the offers will reflect that fully, but certainly won’t be cheap cheap (like Walker).

The 2nd half is also meaningless because it hasn't actually happened yet. They don't know what he will do yet, regardless of what he did in the second half last year. Now I do agree he's not going to be as cheap as Walker was, but the Twins don't have the leverage to ask for much and teams are not going to value his prior year 2nd halves over his more recent production. If they did, we should be selling Zach Davies once he's healthy.

Above all else, look at the potential suitors. For a 2b only, very few contenders have that need. We won't have much competition, and as has been noted...Dozier is slightly better than at least 4 or 5 other pretty good options that we know of. I suspect us and the Indians would be the primary suitors, and that's only if the Indians give up on Kipnis(which I doubt). Outside chance the Dodgers look at Dozier, but I doubt it with just getting Machado...with him, they already have the very good problem of getting all their good bats enough playing time.

Above all else, look at the potential suitors. For a 2b only, very few contenders have that need. We won't have much competition, and as has been noted...Dozier is slightly better than at least 4 or 5 other pretty good options that we know of. I suspect us and the Indians would be the primary suitors, and that's only if the Indians give up on Kipnis(which I doubt). Outside chance the Dodgers look at Dozier, but I doubt it with just getting Machado...with him, they already have the very good problem of getting all their good bats enough playing time.

Plus I'd imagine that Dozier's salary probably would push the Dodgers' luxury tax situation (not sure how close they are now, but has to be getting there).

EDIT: Looks like they're $~4 million under. It would be pretty close. I guess Dozier's prorated amount would be around 4 or maybe a bit less depending on time of trade.

Plus I'd imagine that Dozier's salary probably would push the Dodgers' luxury tax situation (not sure how close they are now, but has to be getting there).

MM deal had no money going over, so you're right...they are likely very very close to going over. I doubt they have more than $1-2 million of wiggle room.

In simplest terms, we are burning daylight and need to get some deals pronto. If we can split with the dodgers then we can buy some time but we seem to be falling apart at the seams.

I know there are holes, but is there really that much urgency? This team was 18 over up until a week and a half ago. Despite a bad week, the team does all of a sudden suck.

i know bro...that road trip killed me. At this point, i need a victory, as a fan.

What seems strange is that we cant hit bad pitchers but we do better against good pitchers.

This beer is for us to smack kershaw. Im just otherwise pessimmestic about coughing up homers.

Cheers!

This is what I would do from the standpoint of "going for it" this year.

A) Id go for Dozier. Reasonable price I believe. I don't see any real top 2-3 pitching prospect going there. I see a realistic shot at resigning if we wish too. Especially if we have to deal Keston in B below.

B) I'd love to take a run at Thor or De Grom. I don't see Mets dealing DeGrom though. I don't see any other possible number 1 pitcher available on the market that makes a difference for us. I guess market could change and some others might become available,

3) In my ideal world in going for it Id make a run at Realmuto also. He might be pricey and getting him and a top ind starter would put a real dent in system.

If I would be looking a bit more long term Id open the market up on the pitching targets more to get a more proven commodity vs our prospects.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The more I think about things, and here's a basic plan:

1. I would target Dozier or Cabrera at 2B (prefer Dozier due to his superior glove).

2. I'd then look to replace Kratz - someone like Barnhardt, AJ Ellis -- essentially cheap options.

3. Look at the starter market - JA Happ, Chris Archer, Nathan Eovaldi. None of these guys are going to top of the rotation guys, but they improve the overall rotation, and provide valuable depth. I wouldn't overpay for players, but if the price is right, go for it.

4. Look at quality relievers to fortify the bullpen. Zack Duke, Joakim Soria, Kyle Barraclough - that type of guy. Again, don't overpay, but make a move if the price isn't too high.

5. Bring back Arcia if the club feels he's got his head together.

Basically, I say fix 2B, improve catcher, and then see what upgrades the market offers. We're not unloading a ton of the farm system - especially our top prospects. But as people have noted, we are going to lose some people this off season - so let's spend that capital now to get something to help us.

In the end, we've gotten this far with this club. Let's do some tweaks, fix the obvious holes, and go to battle with what got us here. It ain't perfect - but nothing is.

We can always make some tweaks at the end of August if possible. But for now, we have to trust the team to get their stuff together. Big trades won't help if the rest of the team falters.

With our manager starting two of the back end rotation guys just out of the break, while on a 6 game skid, I would prepare to sell off some pieces. Gather enough now to withstand a big off season trade for a TOR starter (which is needed).

Our stretch of games coming out of the break is brutal. 7 against LA, 3 with Washington, SF and Colorado who aren't bad. I'm just not sure I want to do anything for a rental at this point, I just don't see it pushing us past the Cubs or Dodgers. I'd bring up Arcia again, play Villar more at 2nd and hope they turn things around. If I am giving up significant prospects I am going in for controllable assets, Realmuto, deGrom, etc. Not Dozier, Hamels, Eovaldi type gets.

Would you go get Realmuto if you had to give up Hiura, but could keep Burnes and Peralta?

Realmuto is highly comparable in trade value to what we gave up for Yelich. So I think something like Realmuto+Castro for Hiura+Ray+Ortiz+Gatewood+Bickford is somewhat plausible. Both Realmuto and Castro are controlled through 2020.

Forget about trying to get Realmuto without Hiura, they want Robles or Soto as a centerpiece from Washington and will certainly demand Hiura from us.

Would you go get Realmuto if you had to give up Hiura, but could keep Burnes and Peralta?

Realmuto is highly comparable in trade value to what we gave up for Yelich. So I think something like Realmuto+Castro for Hiura+Ray+Ortiz+Gatewood+Bickford is somewhat plausible. Both Realmuto and Castro are controlled through 2020.

Forget about trying to get Realmuto without Hiura, they want Robles or Soto as a centerpiece from Washington and will certainly demand Hiura from us.

I give up Hiura for Realmuto. Obviously Hiura is a fantastic prospect, we all know that. But that being said there is no 100% guarantee he is a stud at the ML level. There have been plenty of "can't miss" guys who did indeed miss. Realmuto has a ML track record, we know what he is. He is one of the top catchers in the league and we have a gaping black hole at C.

In your scenario of Realmuto and Castro, I'd offer Hiura, Ortiz, Nottingham, Gatewood and Bickford. I'd like to keep Ray as he seems to be putting it together finally but if he absolutely has to be part of the deal, then so be it.

I give up Hiura for Realmuto. Obviously Hiura is a fantastic prospect, we all know that. But that being said there is no 100% guarantee he is a stud at the ML level. There have been plenty of "can't miss" guys who did indeed miss. Realmuto has a ML track record, we know what he is. He is one of the top catchers in the league and we have a gaping black hole at C.

In your scenario of Realmuto and Castro, I'd offer Hiura, Ortiz, Nottingham, Gatewood and Bickford. I'd like to keep Ray as he seems to be putting it together finally but if he absolutely has to be part of the deal, then so be it.

Then pass on Realmuto for me. No way I give up that package. There are other potential upgrades at catcher that wouldn't cost nearly as much. I'd also be much more inclined to giving Nottingham a whole bunch of playing time the next two weeks to see what we have.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Then pass on Realmuto for me. No way I give up that package. There are other potential upgrades at catcher that wouldn't cost nearly as much. I'd also be much more inclined to giving Nottingham a whole bunch of playing time the next two weeks to see what we have.

But CC won’t play Nottingham even more than Kratz. And who are these available catching upgrades? Chironos? Sal Perez? Not nearly Realmuto

Archived